PDA

View Full Version : Federer or Tiger, Which one is the bigger international star?

betterer
07-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Obviously in America, Tiger is the more popular figure. It's unfortunate that Federer doesn't get the attention he deserves in US media. But I believe Fed is just as popular if not more popular in Switzerland than Tiger is in America. Also, Fed is the more dominant of the two brilliant athletes. But which one is the bigger international star?

Moose Malloy
07-13-2007, 04:26 PM
here are some links that show how much Fed & Tiger made in endorsements last year(& I doubt that Tiger's endorsements are just from the US market)

Tiger-makes 100,000,000 annually in endorsements

Fed-made 27,000,000 in endorsements last year

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/specials/fortunate50/2007/index.html?cnn=yes

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/specials/fortunate50/2007/index.20.html

Due to teaming with Woods this year for Gillette & Nike ads, Fed's endorsement $ may increase this year. Nice for Woods to throw him a bone. I think being friends with Woods is helping his bank account.

I'm surprised Fed doesn't make more endorsements than he does now, if he is that popular worldwide. Soccer players have made a ton in the past, maybe Fed's agent sucks?

But I believe Fed is just as popular if not more popular in Switzerland than Tiger is in America.

Tiger never encounters these attendance problems(or ratings) in the US when he plays:

GENEVA, Switzerland (Reuters) - After wowing a sell-out New York crowd to win his third U.S. Open title nine days ago, Roger Federer faces the prospect of empty seats when he leads Switzerland in a Davis Cup relegation battle against Serbia on home soil this weekend.

Many regard the world number one and nine-times grand slam champion as the world's greatest sportsman, but Swiss fans are not exactly clamouring for tickets for the tie to be held in an arena on the edge of Geneva airport.

With just three days to go until the start of the tie organisers say one third of the 5,780 tickets are unsold.

The lack of demand prompted the president of the country's Davis Cup committee, Erik Keller, to write an open letter to the Swiss public last week.

Several reasons have been put forward in the Swiss media for the lack of interest in this weekend's tie, including the low-profile opposition and earlier doubts as to whether Federer would actually play.

It is also possible that Federer is still somehow fighting for recognition in a country more famed for Alpine skiers.

His third successive Wimbledon triumph last year was seen by just 321,000 television viewers in Switzerland -- making it only the 89th most-watched sporting event of 2005.

Even his first Wimbledon victory in 2003, watched by 545,000, was only the 27th biggest televised sporting event of the year.

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=sportsNews&storyID=2006-09-19T232311Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-268345-1.xml&archived=False

diggler
07-15-2007, 05:19 AM
Whoes achievements are the greatest? Obviously we are biased here, but I would like a rational comparison between the two in terms of sporting achievements.

mellofelow
07-15-2007, 07:10 AM
As global popularity goes, no contest!! Outside of US, other than majors or Ryder Cup, Tiger commands 7 figures in appearance fee. By the way, this incentive doesn't account for his sponsorship.

The sad part is Tiger's image and that $100 mil/yr will probably grow for another 20 yrs.

omniexist
07-15-2007, 07:17 AM
Hate to say it, but it's Tiger in terms of drawing people.

a guy
07-15-2007, 07:26 AM
Tiger is more famour easily.

babolat15
07-15-2007, 07:30 AM
Tiger, easily