PDA

View Full Version : Who was the last player to win a grand slam event with a metal racket?

djsiva
07-13-2007, 03:45 PM
How about wood?

Which racket has more grand slams: 85 Prostaff or Dunlop 200g?

Most people get all three wrong.

slice bh compliment
07-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Metal: I'm thinking Pat Cash, 87 Wimbledon.
Wood: Mac? Noah, if that LeCoq frame has any wood in it?
Dunlop 200g if you include Steffi's titles.

ShcMad
07-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Maybe Jimbo with his Wilson T2000? I don't know!

JohnnyF
07-16-2007, 09:51 PM
men

Metal - Jimmy Connors 1983 US Open - Wilson T2000

Wood - Yannick Noah 1983 French Open - Le Qoc Oversive wood composite.
(not sure of the name, but it
looked cool)
The last man to win a grand slam with a standard sized wood racquet MIGHT be John McEnroe at the 1981 US Open. (Dunlop Maxply Fort), however Johan Kriek won the Australian Open in 1981 and 1982 and I'm not sure if he had yet switched over from wood at that point. If so then it was him and not Mac.

Women
Metal? I think maybe Evonne Goolagong - 1980 Wimbledon (don't know what model)

Wood - Chris Evert - 1983 French Open - Wilson Chris Evert Autograph

diggler
07-17-2007, 06:48 AM
men

Metal - Jimmy Connors 1983 US Open - Wilson T2000

Wood - Yannick Noah 1983 French Open - Le Qoc Oversive wood composite.
(not sure of the name, but it
looked cool)
The last man to win a grand slam with a standard sized wood racquet MIGHT be John McEnroe at the 1981 US Open. (Dunlop Maxply Fort), however Johan Kriek won the Australian Open in 1981 and 1982 and I'm not sure if he had yet switched over from wood at that point. If so then it was him and not Mac.

Women
Metal? I think maybe Evonne Goolagong - 1980 Wimbledon (don't know what model)

Wood - Chris Evert - 1983 French Open - Wilson Chris Evert Autograph

I'm pretty sure Evonne Goolagong won with a Donlop Volley.

slice bh compliment
07-17-2007, 09:55 AM
maec allamerican, ahemm.....we're ready already.

Metal:
Evonne Goolagong is right, I believe for the women, but what stands out for me is Pat Cash with his Prince Magnesium Pro (90?) seven years later.

Wood:
The last finalist with wood was probably Mecir with that Kennex.
But, I think it's Noah (if that Le Coq Sportif frame was wood) or McEnroe in 81 at the US Open.

And yeah, I'm dying to know if the Evert/Courier/Pete/Edberg Pro Staff coalition topped Mac and Graf (and if you are counting dubs).

Mind you, Mac won quite a few of his titles with wood, and Steffi switched to a Wilson in like 96 or 97, so the last few of her GS titles were without the 200g. So now, I'm leaning Pro Staff on this one.

Anyway, it's time....bring the answers.

retrowagen
07-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Metal:
Evonne Goolagong is right, I believe for the women, but what stands out for me is Pat Cash with his Prince Magnesium Pro (90?) seven years later. Magnesium is a metal, so I'd say that's your answer in regards all racquets metallic.

Wood:
The last finalist with wood was probably Mecir with that Kennex. erm, that was a Snauwaert Brian Gottfried Mid in his hand there, a really primo wood composite mid...
But, I think it's Noah (if that Le Coq Sportif frame was wood) or McEnroe in 81 at the US Open. It was Noah with the Le Coq "TCO", indeed, mostly wood.

JohnnyF
07-19-2007, 07:55 AM

Yes, lets here the correct answers

diggler
07-19-2007, 07:09 PM
A some stage, did Martina Navratilova play with a 200g painted to look like a Yonex?

lilxjohnyy
07-19-2007, 07:10 PM
i would like to know the answers please

Deuce
07-19-2007, 09:55 PM
A some stage, did Martina Navratilova play with a 200g painted to look like a Yonex?
She did play with a Max 200G, but I believe it was painted black. No-one would have believed it was a Yonex, anyway, because the head shape of Yonex frames were so different than the head shape of the Max 200G.

I don't think that Navratilova won any singles Majors with the Max 200G.

Which racket has more grand slams: 85 Prostaff or Dunlop 200g?
That's easy - the Max 200G with Graf.
In fact, the Max 200G is the only graphite racquet to have won a Grand Slam.
The Pro Staff 85 has won exactly zero Grand Slams.

As for the last metal racquet to have won a Major, i'd go with Cash and the Mag 90, as well.
Pioline did make the U.S. Open final with the Mag 90 later - in 1993.

hyrulemaster
07-20-2007, 12:10 AM
Metal: Federer wimbledon 07

all rackets pros use today are graphite which is metal, correct?

larry
07-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Metal: Federer wimbledon 07

all rackets pros use today are graphite which is metal, correct?

No. Graphite is polymorphic carbon. And carbon is not metal.

superstition
07-20-2007, 11:42 AM
I don't think that Navratilova won any singles Majors with the Max 200G.
She used it for the 1987 French Open, which she almost won against Graf and should have. She choked away leads in quite a few games and the final set, where I recall she was up 5-2.

Warriorroger
07-20-2007, 01:08 PM

Metal:
Evonne Goolagong is right, I believe for the women, but what stands out for me is Pat Cash with his Prince Magnesium Pro (90?) seven years later.

Wood:
The last finalist with wood was probably Mecir with that Kennex.
But, I think it's Noah (if that Le Coq Sportif frame was wood) or McEnroe in 81 at the US Open.

And yeah, I'm dying to know if the Evert/Courier/Pete/Edberg Pro Staff coalition topped Mac and Graf (and if you are counting dubs).

Mind you, Mac won quite a few of his titles with wood, and Steffi switched to a Wilson in like 96 or 97, so the last few of her GS titles were without the 200g. So now, I'm leaning Pro Staff on this one.

She siwtched to Wilson at the AO 1994.