PDA

View Full Version : Year end #1 ranking-Federer or Nadal?

anointedone
07-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Nadal is 85 points ahead of Federer in the ATP race points. He seems more willing to play more events for ranking points, unlike Federer who only seems to care about the slams now. So will Nadal be able to end the year #1 this year or will it be Federer again somehow?

illkhiboy
07-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Nadal is 85 points ahead of Federer in the ATP race points. He seems more willing to play more events for ranking points, unlike Federer who only seems to care about the slams now. So will Nadal be able to end the year #1 this year or will it be Federer again somehow?

Nadal's not really been extra tournaments. It's true that Federer has played less than usual, but so has Nadal. Actually, I hadn't thought about the fact that Federer has more chances to pick up points from non-mandatory tournaments. He shouldn't really need to, unless he slips a little and Nadal improves that much more on the quicker courts. How sweet will it be if the ranking was decided by a Masters Cup Final? A fitting end to a tremendous year.

anointedone
07-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Well Nadal has played 5 events outside the Masters and Slams, and is playing a 6th this week. Federer has only played 1 so far outside the Masters and Slams. That is what I meant by playing less events. I cant believe Roger might be dumb enough to not fulfill his quota of 5 extra events, if his #1 ranking is under threat but it is also hard to see him choosing to play 4 extra events the rest of the year when he isnt this summer.

keithchircop
07-14-2007, 12:23 PM
It's soon hardcourt season. Who's best on hardcourts? If I were Fed I wouldn't be worrying. Had Nadal won Wimbledon, maybe but alas...

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
07-14-2007, 06:21 PM
I am really glad that Federer is being pushed for the number 1 ranking this year.

It is going to be really interesting to see how he responds to that challenge. But I pick Federer to end the year number one, and I hope it comes down to the year end championships in Shanghai.

Max G.
07-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Federer. He's still got ahead of him one more section of the year when he plays his best - hardcourts, and Nadal's never done that great at the US Open. He also hasn't his best-5-other-tournament slots.

Nadal certainly has a chance - but his chance is to raise his game at the US Open and win it, and I think that's a tall order. He'd also have to back that up with strong showings at the other hardcourt TMSs to stay ahead.

I agree, it would be great to see Nadal take that #1 away from Fed (even better if it happens at the TMC!) but I'd bet against it if I had to put money on it. I'm definitely rooting for him though.

arosen
07-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Rafa is going to have his butt kicked again at USO, his game is not working there as well as at other slams. Fed is gonna be # 1 for a while now.

bluescreen
07-14-2007, 07:47 PM
i have a question about this. does the race work like the regular ranking points? what i mean is, will federer gain points in the race if he wins the us open again? cuz w/ regular ranking points, he would just keep the points he got from winning it previous years, not gain any. if he gains points for the race, i say federer for sure.

i voted for nadal thinking that federe wouldnt gain any points, but if federer would gain points from defending his title, then i wouldve voted for fed.

caulcano
07-15-2007, 03:01 AM
i have a question about this. does the race work like the regular ranking points? what i mean is, will federer gain points in the race if he wins the us open again? cuz w/ regular ranking points, he would just keep the points he got from winning it previous years, not gain any. if he gains points for the race, i say federer for sure.

i voted for nadal thinking that federe wouldnt gain any points, but if federer would gain points from defending his title, then i wouldve voted for fed.

If Federer wins the US Open again, he'd just defend his points.

If Nadal advances further than his did last year he'd gain on Federer, no matter what Federer does.

illkhiboy
07-15-2007, 03:46 AM
If Federer wins the US Open again, he'd just defend his points.

If Nadal advances further than his did last year he'd gain on Federer, no matter what Federer does.

Yes but the US Open points would be further added in the race total.

Fedexeon
07-15-2007, 04:30 AM
Federer will be the world number 1 this year... No doubt that the gap between him and Nadal may be closer now but he's the best player on fast hardcourt.
He will just have to wait until next year in Indian Wells and Miami to gain some valuable points.

brolycjw
07-15-2007, 04:41 AM
Federer will be the #1 again this year, the gap is closing but it is still wide. I highly doubt Nadal will perform in this year's US open as his fast hardcourt record has not been great.

Vision84
07-15-2007, 04:44 AM
Clay court season is over so Federer for the win!

illkhiboy
07-15-2007, 05:05 AM
Federer will be the #1 again this year, the gap is closing but it is still wide. I highly doubt Nadal will perform in this year's US open as his fast hardcourt record has not been great.

If Nadal is fresh (last year he wasn't) and healthy, he can definitely play on fast hard courts. He's won Montreal, Dubai and Madrid before. Remember, Federer and Nadal both said that Dubai plays faster than Shanghai's indoor court. Besides, Nadal's only lost 2 good players at the Open. Lost to Roddick in '04, Blake in '05 and in-form Youzhny last year. I also feel there are less players who can beat him now since he's gotten over the hump by beating both Youzhny and Berdych. I hope we see a Roddick-Nadal semi-final.

Jedi Knight
07-15-2007, 09:53 AM
If Nadal is fresh (last year he wasn't) and healthy, he can definitely play on fast hard courts. He's won Montreal, Dubai and Madrid before. Remember, Federer and Nadal both said that Dubai plays faster than Shanghai's indoor court. Besides, Nadal's only lost 2 good players at the Open. Lost to Roddick in '04, Blake in '05 and in-form Youzhny last year. I also feel there are less players who can beat him now since he's gotten over the hump by beating both Youzhny and Berdych. I hope we see a Roddick-Nadal semi-final.

I'd love to see that too. After Nadal trashed him in Indian Wells, I'd want to see how Roddick responds.