PDA

View Full Version : Finished first triathlon!

Craig Sheppard
07-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Hey just wanted to give everyone an update since I posted a while ago about this...

If anyone remembers reading, I broke my foot over the winter and asked for recommendations from board members on info on swimming,, since that was one activity I could do w/o bearing weight on my foot. You guys were a big help... I bought the Total Immersion DVD & Book, and absolutely loved it. I would say in less than a month, I went from swimming 100m and stopping (sucking wind!) to swimming over 750m and feeling good about swimming.

Long story short, my foot healed in the spring, I kept up the swim training, and this past Sunday I did my first sprint triathlon. It was a 750m swim, 15 mi bike, and 5 k run. I finished in 1:42:15, and am happy with that since my goals were to finish first and foremost, and try to break 1 hr 50 min.

So thanks to everyone who recommended Total Immersion, I've since passed on the name of the DVD/book to at least 4 other people. Triathlons are fun to do and quite exciting on race day--it's just hard to work in 3 other disciplines while keeping up on tennis matches!

AAAA
07-15-2007, 12:56 PM
The foot is evidently in great shape and you're super fit to boot, congratulations Craig.

flamekid992000
07-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Congrats on finishing. Must of taken a lot of dedication discipline to go that far. If i were to do a triathlon, i would of drowned in my first 2 minutes.

chess9
07-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Craig:

Congratulations and welcome to the fraternity! I hope you are feeling justifiably proud of your race accomplishment.

I remember my first race as though it was yesterday-a very cold race in NJ in December! Yes, we swam outside!!! I've done 113 races and counting. I probably don't have a whole lot of races left in me, though I'm thinking of doing Ironman Florida in November 08 as my last Ironman race.

-Robert

Ano
07-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Congrats on finishing your first triathlon, pal.!!!

jfmcdowell357
07-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Awesome. Congrats

Topaz
07-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Congratulations! I've heard great things about Total Immersion from others as well...I may have to check it out since my gym actually has a pool.

Ano
07-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Craig:

Congratulations and welcome to the fraternity! I hope you are feeling justifiably proud of your race accomplishment.

I remember my first race as though it was yesterday-a very cold race in NJ in December! Yes, we swam outside!!! I've done 113 races and counting. I probably don't have a whole lot of races left in me, though I'm thinking of doing Ironman Florida in November 08 as my last Ironman race.

-Robert

That's amazing.!!! Two thumbs up for you, mate!!

Craig Sheppard
07-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Congratulations! I've heard great things about Total Immersion from others as well...I may have to check it out since my gym actually has a pool.

I couldn't recommend it more. It just make sense and is enjoyable to read/watch/learn.