PDA

View Full Version : LET'S GIVE A LITTLE CREDIT TO.........

GUYANA4U
03-16-2004, 06:31 AM
.....JAMES BLAKE!! Blake appears to be playing some good tennis this tournament. He's beaten a few quality players. Hope He can keep it up. Nice to see him winning again. Maybe if He's lucky we'll get to see one of his matches on espn before this tournament is over!!?? But I would not bet the farm on that!!

GUYANA4U
03-18-2004, 05:08 AM
Stiil quietly walking through the draw. Taking advantage of his draw. Go Blake!! I wasn't a big fan before, I am a fan now!!

dander
03-18-2004, 07:04 AM
let's be real, as great as it would be for blake to break through and make the finals (i wouldn't call the semis a breakthrough, as he won't have beaten anyone of note, just like the australian wasn't a breakthrough either), he's clearly operating at least one level outside of the top ten. he's such a mystery, as in 2001 and 02 he was a few games from taking out Hewitt at FLushing while he was at the top of his game. why blake hasn't been able to get to the next level is a little puzzling
i really, realy hope he can do it though as his athleticism makes him so much fun to watch

baseliner
03-18-2004, 08:50 AM
The opportunity is there for Blake. Beat Calleri and then in the Semis he faces Roddick. From the Dent match it looks like he is playing well. He handled Dent's big bombs with ease. Maybe this is his break through, but I never see a breakthrough until the player actually accomplishes it. My pediction--his run ends in the Semis.

GUYANA4U
03-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Honestly; I'm not really a big fan of James Blake, but I am becoming one. I hate that Pmac and the rest of the American commentators give him no credit, they seem to have no confidence in him, and his name is seldom mentioned, even during this tournament. I would call reaching the semis a breakthrough, simply because he was not expected to get there, or at least that the feeling that I get.

James Brown
03-18-2004, 10:05 AM
lets be honest, this guy has got skills. hes got great foot speed and a great forehand. his serve is above average too. However, hes very inconsistant. Hes 24 and sad to say roddick does everything he does...but better. Thats why p mac doesnt give blake anything, hes too busy sucking roddick's teet. As for blake, he needs to fix his consistancy. His serve goes haywire (look at dent match), his forehand fumbles too often (he chucked a bunch of sitters into the net/wide) His vollies need sharpening. And as for his backhand...welll....not gonna go there...if you got a one handed backhand that isnt based on finesse (a la federer) then you need to get a clay court ish backhand, good consistancy, depth and top spin (like gaudio and guga), blake needs to fix that real badly.

In general though, he needs to fix the mental thing. He loses his concentration real easy. I think he coudl use some more fan support, hes a rhythm player, he gets on a roll and he also loses in streaks.
I think the lack of attention could also have something to do with race (im not shouting racism, im not one of those williams idiots..and yes i know hes bi racial) but when he had the dreadlocks, he just looked kinda weird and now he looks strange (although he apparently was voted sexiest athlete in 2002..strange), he just needs to fix his style on the court (lose that ridiculous cut off shirt, wear the shorts lower, pull up the socks a bit and get a nicer bandana or a hat). and then hell be fine. God knows hes funner to watch than roddick. Hes also this really nice and seemingly fun guy. Much better personality than roddick. He just needs to be more energetic out there.

that dent match though, was really lame. Apart from ball speed, it was club level. Dent is scared to hit a grounstroke (he was tapping the ball all the time,hes a freakin BUMMMM) and blake, well lord knows he missed way too much.

dander
03-18-2004, 10:21 AM
thank you JB!!
the quality of this match wasn't good at all. to those who say blake gets no respect, what planet are you on? he's never cracked the top 30 and i see him everywhere...AMEX, nike, he's been in teeny bopper fashion magazines for christ sake
he hits the ball hard but his game's got a lot of holes...he's kind of like yannick noah in that his supreme athleticism is the only thing that lets him win even semi-consistently
that being said, when he's on with his power game, he can do some damage. here's hoping he can harness it

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Blake has got massive speed. And JB,goes Roddick run down balls better than Blake? Not there for sure. I love Blake's shot making, but otherwise, he's huge headcase and inconsistent. And actually wasn't Blake top 20 at one time last year or 2002?

Phil
03-18-2004, 06:31 PM
We went through this "Blake is the Bomb!" last year, at around this time, or in the summer, when he went farther than the third round in a couple tournaments. He's a good spoiler-someone whom the top players aren't too happy to play, but he's not going any farther than that.

chad shaver
03-18-2004, 06:59 PM
Phil,

I hope he proves you wrong, but I can't say he will.

Phil
03-18-2004, 08:49 PM
Nothing against him, Chad. I'd love to see him take it up a notch and get into the top 5 or 10, but I don't see it happening. No sustaining power.

chad shaver
03-18-2004, 08:50 PM
I know exactly what you mean, and I agree completely.

Free_Martha
03-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Blake's a good player but he's not in the same league as Federer, Agassi, and Roddick. He won't make the finals.