PDA

View Full Version : Had TE for nearly 2 years now...

morten
07-16-2007, 01:15 PM
but it doesnt hurt anymore! Only hurt the first 3-4 months, but i am just so plain weak! I have tried excercise to strenghten it, but it is so weak! Considering cortisone... Any advice?

courtrage
07-16-2007, 01:50 PM
look at some books by john e sarno, MD. I got his 2nd and 4th books on CD from amazon. the 2nd one is shorter and more to the point so i'd start there... 'healing back pain' is the title...he addresses TE too...

morten
07-16-2007, 02:11 PM
thanks, funny, i have back pain too. Cant get the book in my country, any good tips?

courtrage
07-17-2007, 10:48 AM
this is the latest book...quite long but you can buy it and download it...sux that you have install the audible software and use nero if you want to burn it to CD(takes 6 cds to burn) http://www.audible.com/adbl/entry/offers/productPromo2.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&productID=BK_EVOL_000001

also check out some stuff on "mindbody" issues. http://www.mindbodymedicine.com/7tms.html

LuckyR
07-17-2007, 11:10 AM
but it doesnt hurt anymore! Only hurt the first 3-4 months, but i am just so plain weak! I have tried excercise to strenghten it, but it is so weak! Considering cortisone... Any advice?

Weakness without pain is not tennis elbow BTW...

courtrage
07-17-2007, 11:16 AM
weakness, inflexability, pain are all addressed by dr sarno. Dr S. graduated medical school in 1950 and i think the last 30 years he's been working with mindbody disorders. Pain in these areas(along with others) are due to the autonomic nervous system(i think thats it) reducing blood flow to them thereby reducing oxygen and thats where the pain, etc, comes from. the reason this happens is because physical pain will distract you from your deep down emotional issues. 'inflamation' as is usually the thought people have for TE isnt inflamation at all. Medically, inflamation is a response to infection or injury for repair. patients he's treated over the years noticed that when the back pain left, so did TE. There are certain personallity types that can be affected by Tension Myositis Syndrome. Perfectionists, Goodist (always try to be a 'good guy'), overly driven to succeed, consciensous, compulsive, highly responsible...all these things put imense pressure on oneself. From my own experience after getting two of his books, the more i played tennis to convince myself that my back was normal, the less it hurt. I 'hurt' my back early this year again (have a couple herniated discs from 4 years ago and i always figured thats where the pain was from) and i couldnt walk or sit up easily for a week...then after that it still wasnt 100% but i had to go to work...i was out for 2 months then i played a quick set and sprained my ankle (real injury is real injury) and that put me out another month....after the 3 months i played for 2 hours hard and my back was sore...then i went out again the next three days in a row to play more...when it hurt too much i sat for a little bit...in any case, the more i played the less it bothered me and i've been pretty good up until this weekend...its been a little sore but i still went out and played and same thing...i play more and it hurts less....i figured its cause i had a meeting today that was planned a couple weeks ago and the end of last week i had to prepare some final things for it and meetings like this mean a few weeks of followon activity not to mention a coworker seems like he will be moving on to another job and he was basically the only person with a plan for my team so i'm a little worried about that.

to me, if you are injured youre injured as was the case with my sprained ankle (i landed on it and all my weight rolled it over). i had pain in the front of both knees and i wore those knee straps for two days on court and the pain went away...injury takes longer than 2 days to heal so i know now it was a placebo effect. this summary gives you an idea but its best to hear the docs explanation and warnings. aside from my experience, examples he sites of patients proves his point...one guy had pain for 24 years and couldnt sweep the floor without "hurting" his back. after getting the info from the doc, he was pain free and three years later he wrote the doc a letter thanking him. one lady could bend over and touch the ground with her hands but it hurt her hip to bend down and tie her shoes...stuff like that was very interesting...one thing i forgot was when i played a lot at first my low back stopped bothering but then my mid back hurt a little...then a few days later my calf hurt...theres a tendenancy for the pain to move around and thats a sign you have TMS. I also realized now i always have the feeling i'm going to get yelled at at work...just worry too much is all but thats part of the pressure on myself and the need to make ZERO mistakes so i dont run the risk of getting yelled at :-\

morten
07-18-2007, 01:00 AM
Weakness without pain is not tennis elbow BTW...

What is it then?

morten
07-18-2007, 01:01 AM
Thanks courage :) interesting...

LuckyR
07-18-2007, 01:25 PM
What is it then?

Well, it is either primary muscular weakness (anything from MD to natural weakness from not working out) or nerve in origin. I hope it is not the latter.

TE is inflamation of the insertion of the muscle into bone, it is tender when palpated and under use.

morten
07-19-2007, 05:06 AM
what is MD? and what is nerve in origin?

LuckyR
07-19-2007, 04:53 PM
what is MD? and what is nerve in origin?

Muscular Dystrophy

"nerve in origin" meaning: weakness stemming from the nerves not giving the muscles the correct signal, as opposed to have weak muscles per se.