PDA

View Full Version : The perfect tennis workout programm

lakis92
07-17-2007, 04:59 AM
I'm 15 years old and pretty serious about tennis. I've read a lot of articles, books, tips and have spent hours on court and reading threads at TalkTennis.

So, I thought that it might be a good idea to create all together the perfect week for playing tennis. Including practise sessions, injury prevention, weight lifting, speed drills and proper eating.

I was thinking about 2 trainings per day.

Anyone that has any ideas or has something to suggest is welcome to post. You may include you own eating habits, exercises, drills or anything else you know. The more experienced users can probably help (Ano and/or The Gorilla can give me a hand).

When it's done, I'll put it all together and create the weekly programm which I'll upload here.

I hope I'll find response to this effort. Thanks for any participation at all.

WildVolley
07-17-2007, 08:48 AM
That's a bit of a tall order. But here are some basic ideas. For good health alone you need proper exercise, proper nutrition and sufficient rest.

In the exercise realm, I'm a fan of weight lifting, because it can help you regain some of the balance you lose from playing tennis (in terms of developing the playing arm) and strengthen joints to protect against injury. So make sure that you add some rotator cuff exercises, especially external rotation to help protect your shoulder joints. In other threads I've explained why I'm against jogging. I think you should do endurance work that goes easy on your legs, as you'll get plenty of pounding on the court. In a single week, you probably only want to work with weights 2 days of the week.

In terms of nutrition, most teenagers eat junk, and that won't maximize your performance. Good quality whole food is the best thing for you. Make sure you are getting sufficient protein and eating a variety of fruit and vegetables. I like to eat eggs as they are an inexpensive source of high quality protein. You really should be looking for 8 servings of vegetables and fruit a day.

Sleep deprivation harms your body in terms of not just muscle recovery, but also in retaining the technique you are learning. Growth hormone is mostly released during your sleep, and you are probably still growing at 15 years of age. If you get more and higher quality sleep, you'll improve more quickly and have fewer injuries.

lakis92
07-17-2007, 10:08 AM
I already do most of what you refer to,Wild Volley and thanks a lot for your interest.

However, I was thinking something for any tennis player. Regardless his age or physical condition. A programm that any one of us could follow. More like the ideal training week for the average tennis players including 2-3 trainings per day of any type(weight lifting, injury prevention, hitting sessions, fitness etc.).

WildVolley
07-17-2007, 12:17 PM
OK. So here are some of my general ideas on tennis practice. Always give yourself a 15 minute warmup before working on specific drills. Perhaps play some mini-tennis during the warmup. Skill and technique work should be done when you are fresh. I believe it is best to work on multiple different things each practice.

For example. Cross court topspin forehand. Cross court topspin backhand. Approach shots, both sides. Serve practice and return. If something is new, I'd only devote about 15 minutes to it at a time unless I discovered I'd made a big breakthrough. Research on learning suggests if you work on something and then come back to it after trying something else, you get better gains than just spending the whole time on one drill.

Next day I might want to work on serve and volley. Start working with practice volleys. Do drills volleying moving from one net post to the other. Then work on serve and volley drills. Follow your serve to the net, split step and hit a volley.

I'd do footwork and endurance drills after I'd already done skill work.

At least 3 times a week I'd try to play a set. But, I'd want to specifically focus on something I was developing when I played. Perhaps targeting my opponents weaker side. Perhaps S&V, etc.

Just some general thoughts. It is best to make a list of what you'd like to learn and then try to rationally schedule them. I find beginners are often happy just to spend a whole practice hitting forehands at each other.

nswelshman
07-17-2007, 01:16 PM
this is a short version of three top 100 wta pros fitness program.

day 1 aerobic work + core work + prevention elastics + stretching
day 2 strength work + stretching
day 3 explosive work legs (plyo combined and footwork ) + prevention work core and elastics + stretching
day 4 explosive upper body work (strenth combined) + medicine ball work + isometric work + aerobic work + stretching
day 5 explosive work combined with coordination and footwork + prevention elastics + core work + stretching

this is listed as days, but its 5 days work across 7 days, not always in a row. this is an in season fitness program as in tournament months but not in preceeding week of tornament.