PDA

View Full Version : Fed & Fish

alienhamster
03-16-2004, 07:47 AM
Any pre-match thoughts about this match-up? Fish is the kind of player that can give Fed trouble (esp. with the s & v), and I think he was the only one to take a set off of him at Wimbledon last year. I don't know about y'all, but I'm pretty psyched about this match today.

Hell, I'm just happy to have live tennis again. [Insert multiple backflips.] The first set of Roddick-Safin yesterday was just great, imo.

Ballmachine
03-16-2004, 08:11 AM
I'm with you man. I am very excited to be seeing live tennis again, and I also think that the Fed vs. Fish match could be great. Fish will have to be playing out of this world to close the show though, but I expect 3 tough sets. (I too am doing backflips. Well, at least in my head anyway!)

SliceServe
03-16-2004, 08:25 AM
Two well liked players going at it. Federer's shot making genius vs. Fishy's determination. Looking forward to this one. Giving the edge to Fed. Let's see. It's interesting watching Fish discover his potential and gain confidence with every match.

@wright
03-16-2004, 08:30 AM
Let's not forget that Fed is a two time slam winner. I say it'll be a tight first set won by Fed, and a Safin/Roddick-like 2nd set, taken by Fed.

tennis*bill
03-16-2004, 09:03 AM
I sure hope ESPN has this on tonight. Would be way more entertaining than last nights Agassi vs. Hrbaty match.

dander
03-16-2004, 09:24 AM
it's going to be aired live at 5 eastern. the 10 pm eastern match is agassi youzhny live

fastdunn
03-16-2004, 09:52 AM
Federerin 2 set.
It takes relentless attacker like Edberg to have any chance to dis-manttle Fed's game, IMHO. Plus you should have a lucky day and hopefully Fed's having average day..
Maybe Dent has that "type" of game for now....

polakosaur
03-16-2004, 10:07 AM
so fed today at 5 est.

Hawaii 5.0
03-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Fish has good returns and should give him more trouble than Roddicks returns and Fish serves almost as well, but has some poor shot decisions and isn't as solid on the volley,doesn't use his fh often enough as a weapon,doesn't slice approach as much, but has a very solid bh.Fed in 2 first in a breaker.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Wow, can't belive the highlight I just say. Fed slices a backhand to Fish's backhand, Fish hits one of those super spinny loopy out-wide angle backhands. Fed runs way out, he's out of the doubles by a ways, moves up a little, and as Fish approaches the net, Fed just rips one up the line for a winner from the middle of nowhere. It was INSANE! He's almost for sure gonna with this tourney.

Actually to tell you the truth, I think he might have hit it around the net post as well.

Grimjack
03-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Actually to tell you the truth, I think he might have hit it around the net post as well.

Hell, I don't think it ever got more than about 2 1/2 feet off the ground. It was well outside the post, and landed well inside the corner. Completely indefensible. :shock:

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-16-2004, 06:43 PM
LOL, ya, that's one of the best shots I've ever seen then for sure.

Greg
03-16-2004, 07:16 PM
He ripped a backhand around the post that looked mach speed.

Almost soiled my huggies. :shock:

@wright
03-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Damnit, I missed it. Hopefully they'll show it during this match where Agassi is beating up on some poor European once again.;

sliceroni
03-16-2004, 09:22 PM
That shot he hit around the post was INSANE. I've seen Agassi and a couple of other guys do it. But to pull it off on the full sprint with a one handed bh with that kind of pace on it was crazy. And to see him put his racquet in the air afterward as if he was saying to the crowd "yeah, that's what you came to see" Even my girlfriend, who really doesn't care much about watching tennis, was like "holy *****, how did he do that?"

ucd_ace
03-16-2004, 11:02 PM
That shot was so amazing it was beyond amazing. It was too high of a level of tennis for my brain to comprehend. It was like when you see something that doesn't register and then have that ... wait a second, and then look back to see if it was real.

sseemiller
03-17-2004, 01:59 AM
Yep, that shot around the post was unbelievable -- it has to be the ATP shot of the month or week, or whatever they call it these days.

Fed talked about it in his interview, and Mardy did in his as well. Mardy said he feels that Federer is playing tennis at a level above everyone else on the Tour and that he did well to win 5 games against him. Again, both interviews are very interesting.

yee
03-17-2004, 04:07 AM
I thinkMardy probably needs to sit back, watched the video and rethink what he said coz I don't think he's playing that well at all today, especially in the second set. Too many errors. Sometimes I felt like some of these players gave too much admiration to Rogi that when they played him, they forgot they actually have the chance to win. But of course Roger indeed is in the "highly confident" right now.

But that shot is indeed crazy...

sliceroni
03-17-2004, 05:36 AM
Roger is indeed where Hewitt was two years ago, extremely confident and has that swagar out there. IMO with more longivity to be at the top because his agressive all-court game. Confident with every point. Both were hitting UE in the first, but at least Mardy was holding his serve until 4-4. Reminiscent of Sampras, Federer just hung around the first set making you think you have a chance, then he just raises his level at 4-4 to break you and then hold, set is over. For him it's that simple. Mardy actually fought well to try to hold serve hitting aces in the mid 130's, doesn't matter though.

dander
03-17-2004, 05:41 AM
fish played like my dead dog on big points, seriously, how many backhands and volleys can you miss on game point after saving break pt against the fed?
fish is still a not-yet-ready-for-prime-time playa who still needs work on his strokes and mental preparation
seriously, how many big points did he blow with awful mistakes???

sliceroni
03-17-2004, 05:51 AM
Clearly a rookie dander which showed on his footwork during big points. He didn't move his feet a couple of times at net, especially that sitting duck overhead that he missed. Also showed when he put both of his hands up questioning almost every call he thought was an ace. You'll never see Fed doing that.

@wright
03-17-2004, 06:17 AM
told you the 2nd set would be a blowout, go back and look at my first post in the thread. Fed is too good.

jburton
03-17-2004, 07:52 AM
It is going to take an opponent's A-Game, and a Fed Off-Day to take Roger out at this point. It is tough to beat a man with every shot in the book, including a sick around-the-post winner.

lendl lives
03-17-2004, 11:01 AM
omg,

this is the second federer match i've seen. he totally dismanteld marty. i though mardy was a top level player after seeing him play roddick at the siebel. he's got a way to go. feder doesn't have any weapons other than shot selection and placement. is he an all court player or just retriever? Seems like a good true serve and volleyer has the best chance against him.one can really see the benefit of getting the ball back and it play and how it demoralizes your opponent.

@wright
03-17-2004, 11:14 AM
Federer is anything but a retriever, he almost always sets the pace for every point.

Verbal_Kint
03-17-2004, 11:16 AM
Federer has got nothing BUT weapons. Great service, very good forhand, very good backhand, very good volleying and overhead, great court sence, quick feet and ever improving shot-selection.

Marnix

chad shaver
03-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Marnix has it right. The problem is EVERYTHING he does is so good, you can't really single out one thing as a weapon....

lendl lives
03-17-2004, 11:42 AM
didnt' federer play gonzalez? i wish i could have seen that. i wonder if gonzo learned anything? gonzo is exciting to watch i hope he learns to play a little dfence.

jings
03-17-2004, 04:40 PM
"Federer no weapons other than placement and shot selection" ...

You have to be joking? Well there again I suppose if you think about it you are right - being able to choose from every shot in the book and be able to hit it to just about every part of the court from just about anywhere on court does just about sum this guy up at the moment.

Max G.
03-17-2004, 05:36 PM
Yeah. Federer can play defense with the best of them - Fish was basically dictating to him for most of the match that I saw, and Fed was basically letting him - he wasn't blowing Federer away, and he was making UEs.

But if Federer decided that Fish on the offense was just too dangerous, he would've taken it to him with S&V, or just with agressive baseline play.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-17-2004, 08:32 PM
Did you watch him destroy Agassi in the masters final last year? That was one of the best things I've ever seen. The greatest attacking, ripping, baseline tennis I've ever seen. He retreived everything, hit winners from anywhere, and was just insane. How can a guy who hits 22 winners and only 7 errors in the first set of that match (he won it 6-4) be a retriever?

Kevin Patrick
03-18-2004, 11:07 AM
I kind of understand the point lendllives was trying to make. Federer is a new breed of champion, one who does everything extremely well. But I wouldn't say that he has the best serve, forehand, backand, etc. But it doesn't matter because his game isn't based on one 'killer shot' but the combination of ALL his great shots.Most champions of the modern era had certain weapons to rely on consistently(Sampras, Agassi, Courier, Lendl, Becker, etc.) Federer resembles champions like McEnroe and (to a greater degree) Nastase in this way.

Kevin Patrick
03-18-2004, 11:16 AM
One last note on the Federer's 'around the post' shot. You guys should check out the '97 Aussie Open Sampras-Muster SF. Pete hit the most insane version of that shot(off the backhand) as hard as I've ever seen that shot hit. The ball was a couple inches off the ground when he hit it & it stayed that way until it hit Muster's side of the court. Muster was standing right there but could do absolutely nothing but stare at it.

dander
03-18-2004, 11:19 AM
i remember that, connors did it better on two occasions. one was the famous shot against panatta and another at an indoor tournament where two courts were adjacent without a net between. connors' opponent pulled him way off the court, so he hit a winner around the net, but his momentum carried him onto the next court, where the ball came right to him so he smacked a winner on that court as well
i saw it once years ago, i think it was when the masters was played at msg

James Brown
03-18-2004, 11:28 AM
the funny thing about the fed vs fish match, was federer played like crap for the most part (well crap in federer books). it was a laugh compared to his masters series and wimbledon performances. I mean honestly, at wimbledon he was untouchable. So to see him play the way he did vs fish was dissapointing, but that shot made up for it. Im hoping he wakes up and wins the tourney, i hate roddick :>

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Dander, that's hilarious bout Connors with the double winner. What is this match vs. Panatta too? I wanna see Sampras vs. Muster's shot too, sounds great.

Federer is gonna win this tourney, it's practically a given now.

dander
03-19-2004, 06:02 AM
the panatta shot was at the us open in 77 or 78 or some pre-historic year like that. cbs used to show it in opening intro segments for the open but i haven't seen it for awhile
i think it was back when they played it on clay

Kevin Patrick
03-22-2004, 08:58 AM
PureCarlos,
I have that Sampras-Muster match. Email me if you're interested.

lendl lives
03-22-2004, 10:39 AM
federer is like chineese water torcher