PDA

View Full Version : how important are good looking knots?

tbini87
07-18-2007, 02:06 PM
i have strung about ten racquets and have not had any problems, but i am lacking a bit in the knot tying department. the knots i tie work, but they do not look good. how important is it to have good looking knots. should i really work on them? any tips with knots? thanks for the advice!

A.T.S.
07-18-2007, 02:30 PM
They work right? If they work and there's no probles with tension or premature breakage then you're fine.

tbini87
07-18-2007, 02:32 PM
yeah, they work perfectly. i could care less about the way the knots look on my racquet, but what about on other people's racquets? i guess if they work, then they don't really have a reason to complain...

Court_Jester
07-18-2007, 02:32 PM
They look more professional. It's a reflection of the care and skill of the stringer.

EDIT: if you're stringing for others, it will certainly matter TO THEM.

tbini87
07-18-2007, 03:15 PM
ok, i agree. i will just keep trying until i get a knot that looks good. the problem is that i don't do the same knot everytime. and i don't get the parnell knot. watching the videos at grand slam stringers did not work for me because i could not tell what was going on... any suggestions? whick knot type do you use?

Court_Jester
07-18-2007, 03:30 PM
the problem is that i don't do the same knot everytime.
Just keep on practicing and if you insist on doing 2-pc stringing, you'll be doing twice more knots.

and i don't get the parnell knot. watching the videos at grand slam stringers did not work for me because i could not tell what was going on... any suggestions?
This pic should help:

http://www.keohi.com/tennis/misc/images/34.gif

whick knot type do you use?
I use the starting knot and Parnell. Check this website:

http://www.keohi.com/tennis/misc/knots.htm

tbini87
07-18-2007, 03:32 PM
awesome. i will have to look at this pic while i string. and yeah i do 2 piece which is good knot practice! thanks for the help.

diredesire
07-18-2007, 04:56 PM
xtremerunnerars also posted a video i recorded that shows (more zoomed in) the Parnell knot. If you can't find it (it's in his x-2 thread) let me know.

As far as knots go: a good knot really only depends on who sees it. If they don't like it, it's bad. if they don't care, it's no big deal.

(Notice, i never said "it's fine/it's good", just that you can get away with it... sometimes)

mrHan
07-18-2007, 07:35 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=128217 Here is the link to the videos that DD is referencing

Netgame
07-18-2007, 07:48 PM
I think the appearance of the knot is very important if you are stringing other peoples sticks. Use the parnell knot, it's very easy if you look at the picture, and after about 3 tries you won't need the picture any more.

Always gently tighten the knot as much as possible BEFORE releasing the tension in the clamp. DO NOT tug at it and risk breaking the main string. Gently pull the excess back and forth between the string bed and the frame, and end up on the frame so the excess lays flat against the frame. Cut it and voila! You will have a knot you will be proud of.

After you master this, then you can start on the starting knot, unless you have a starting clamp. I have been favoring the starting clamp lately even though it adds about 30 secs to the job. This way all my knots are Parnells. If you don't use a starting clamp, you shouldn't use a Parnell because it's not big enough to avoid sinking into the grommet when you pull tension.

brandx
07-18-2007, 07:51 PM
I have all 3 knot directions printed out from the Keohi site and sitting with my Revo. Of course, I've only done about 7 racquets so far, only using the double half hitch. So far, so good.

tbini87
07-22-2007, 09:07 AM
awesome, thanks for all the feedback!

nhstennis
07-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Just keep on practicing and if you insist on doing 2-pc stringing, you'll be doing twice more knots.

This pic should help:

I use the starting knot and Parnell. Check this website:

http://www.keohi.com/tennis/misc/knots.htm

I must be an idiot bc i have the same feelings as the thread starter, tried this knot and cant seem to get it right...i might take pics to show how mine come out

AmericanTemplar
07-23-2007, 01:59 PM
I have only recently been doing what I had thought was the Parnell knot after having watched Richard Parnell tying the knot on the GSS site. From the demo clip on the site it looks as though he is putting the "tail" through the opening between the half-hitch and the point between the two strings where they come through the grommet. That is the way that I have been doing it, and I find the resulting knot to be aesthetically very pleasing and it doesn't seem to come loose as easily as a double half-hitch. Does anyone else do it that way?

xtremerunnerars
07-23-2007, 02:04 PM
I think it's safe to say that a professional looking knot will probably work professionally well. Now that's not always the case, but I'm sure the correlation is more positive than anything.

Court_Jester
07-23-2007, 03:03 PM
From the demo clip on the site it looks as though he is putting the "tail" through the opening between the half-hitch and the point between the two strings where they come through the grommet. That is the way that I have been doing it, and I find the resulting knot to be aesthetically very pleasing and it doesn't seem to come loose as easily as a double half-hitch. Does anyone else do it that way?
Yes, that's how it's done. The bigger loop in the diagram, when you start pulling the string, will "pin down" the long end of the string, thus making the knot more compact. Another reason I prefer this knot is that the double-hitch knot looks as if it is hiking up the string and making it look more loose-looking. This is not much of a problem for polys but it's annoying (for me, anyway) when doing syn guts and multis.

gjoc
07-23-2007, 03:44 PM
I have only recently been doing what I had thought was the Parnell knot after having watched Richard Parnell tying the knot on the GSS site. From the demo clip on the site it looks as though he is putting the "tail" through the opening between the half-hitch and the point between the two strings where they come through the grommet. That is the way that I have been doing it, and I find the resulting knot to be aesthetically very pleasing and it doesn't seem to come loose as easily as a double half-hitch. Does anyone else do it that way?

If I understand what you're saying, you're not doing Parnell's knot correctly, because your second loop is amounting to just another round turn with its tail tucked through, rather than an actual second half-hitch with its tail tucked through.

Are you saying that, compared to the picture above, your second-to-last cross-over goes under instead?

Also, if your double half-hitch is coming loose, I have to think you're not doing it right.

diredesire
07-23-2007, 11:01 PM
Xtremerunnerars has posted a video I made of both DHH knots and Parnell knots here:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=128217&highlight=video

You might need to dig around for current links, but I tried getting a very zoomed in view. I went pretty slow, so new(er) stringers can really see what's going on.

AmericanTemplar
07-24-2007, 08:41 AM
If I understand what you're saying, you're not doing Parnell's knot correctly, because your second loop is amounting to just another round turn with its tail tucked through, rather than an actual second half-hitch with its tail tucked through.

Are you saying that, compared to the picture above, your second-to-last cross-over goes under instead?

Also, if your double half-hitch is coming loose, I have to think you're not doing it right.

The photo shows the "tail" coming through the loop created by the double half hitch. I'm saying that I put the tail through the space in between the loop (not through the loop) and the grommet instead. If I recall correctly, that is how Parnell does it on the GSS site. Either my recollection is incorrect, that photo is or appears to be incorrect, or Parnell has changed his knot. My knots look similar to a double half hitch with the tail coming toward the frame rather than away from the frame.

With some types of string, particularly with thicker guages, the second half-hitch has occassionally loosened up a bit. I have found that the knot that I believe to be the Parnell knot is a much tighter knot.