PDA

View Full Version : Uneven lower back

thefan
07-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Is this a common problem for tennis players?
I play almost everyday during the summer and especially in the morning when I wake up, my lower back would be hurting. I goes away in like 15-30 minutes but it occurs every morning especially if I've been playing hard the day before. Its not very obvious but my lower right back is bigger than my lower left back...
Any way I can even out my back? What exercises should I do?

WildVolley
07-18-2007, 06:18 PM
No, it is not normal, or good, to have lower back pain. However, muscular imbalances caused by tennis are common.

I'd advise starting to slowly get into weight lifting that will even out your muscularity. Deadlifts are a good lower back exercise, but you want to start with low weight and strict form. Also, building up your abs will help stabilize your back.

I know that some players study yoga to limber up the back, but I have no experience with that.

Which side is more built up? I'd guess it is the racquet side. Sometimes players will get pains because they plant so hard with the leg on the racquet hand side.

thefan
07-18-2007, 06:27 PM
^
Deadlift? I'll look into that, I only have dumbells, will that do? I will be sure to use low weights. Thanks for the advice.

Which side is more built up? I'd guess it is the racquet side.
Actually, no its the opposite. I'm a RIGHTY and my lower LEFT back is built up more. I think that this actually makes sense b/c the left side facilitate in the trunk rortation. Its the side pointing to the net when serving and hitting an semi-open stance forehand.

Am also interested in knowing if anyone else has muscular imbalance in their back... Am I the only one?

lakis92
07-19-2007, 10:29 AM
It's absolutely normal for a righty to have the lower part of his core more built up.

thefan
09-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Question: how is deadlift different from squats?
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html
Can someone tell me the proper way to do deadlifts with dumbell, I dont want to mess up my back more than it already it. I'm only going to start with light weights.

AlexP
09-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Just google back exercises and choose a few. I found a couple that not only help to relieve uneasyness in my back but also build up my back muscles very well, helping to increase power in my strokes and the amount of time I last in an intense match.

Chauvalito
09-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Is this a common problem for tennis players?
I play almost everyday during the summer and especially in the morning when I wake up, my lower back would be hurting. I goes away in like 15-30 minutes but it occurs every morning especially if I've been playing hard the day before. Its not very obvious but my lower right back is bigger than my lower left back...
Any way I can even out my back? What exercises should I do?

If you can, you should try a slight stretching of your hamstrings.

On occasion, tight hamstrings can exacerbate lower back pain...