PDA

View Full Version : Middle aged and can't shift the weight

dizzychump
07-19-2007, 05:17 AM
I need to lose some weight as i have some blood pressure issues among other things like sore knees.

I am 43 years old and about 205lbs. I love tennis but have just moved to France from the UK but haven’t got any tennis mates yet.

I work full time and have 4 young children, the eldest one being seven.

I am fairly fit and active, I have a tennis coaching session once a week, I swim and play with the kids which gets the heart going believe me.

I do some resistance training but not regularly enough.

Most of the fat is around the stomach area. I am fairly muscular under the fat but in light years from being called a bodybuilder kind of way.

I eat mostly healthily – lots of fruit and veg, oily fish once or twice a week, then generally lean stuff with healthy muesli breakfasts etc.

I do drink wine, which I like (probably a bit too much) and I also like cheese with French bread but I’ve cut this back to a weekend treat.

In a nutshell I have a long day, lots to do with the kids, have limited time but need to get in better shape and lose weight.

If I were younger eating what I eat now, and being as active as I am now I would never be overweight. I know this because I was less active when I was younger and never overweight.

Any suggestions bearing in mind i'm not made from the same stuff as Chess9

bluegrasser
07-19-2007, 05:57 AM
Sit ups and get that heart rate up 20-30 minutes three to four times a week & you should be on your way.

tennis-n-sc
07-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Well, nobody is made of the same stuff as Chess9. ;)

Diet still plays a major roll in the extra stuff we carry around the middle. Watch that even more. Eating a lot of anything, even the so called healthy fruits and veggies, still adds calories to the diet. Portion size is important. Bluegrasser has some good points. The ole ticker rate needs to be go up and kept up for a while. And just walking at a decent clip is a great way to shed the pounds. But working long days always made it tough for me.

dizzychump
07-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks 20-30 mins 3-4 times a week i can manage.

chess9
07-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Drinking wine in the evening is a lot of fun, BUT, it will drive fat into you like a semi full of chocolate chip ice cream. One of my female trainees is going through this little battle at 57. She loves her Pinot Grigio and will often have 3-4 glasses a night. The rest of her diet is pretty good, but even with some hard training she's still only losing SLOWLY the PIG.

If the pig is oinking you gotta' shut that guy up. ;) Usually we know what it is. Diet and exercise, usually. I'm assuming you are not yet on any meds.

In your case, I would need to know the answers to a lot of questions before I made any recommendations, but if your knees are hurting you, it means weight loss is critical because at 205 you are slowly destroying your joints with the impact from tennis. Actually, all that fat is destroying ALL of your body unless you are at least 6'2" tall. I'm guessing you are shorter. ;)

Just guessing here, but a 10 week program of 3 to 4 days per week of gradually progressive weight training, plus 15 minutes each day of biking or rowing cardio would get your testosterone UP. Don't waste time swimming. It's fun, I do it, but I do triathlons. Swimming will add fat, not remove it, unless you can hold a very fast pace. Stop playing tennis until your weight is DOWN at least 10 pounds or more.

Here's something to think about. As your fat rises, your testosterone levels TEND to fall. Without adequate T your you know what will stand a half mast. :) So, if you enjoy sex (with 4 kids, I guess so), hit the gym. Join www.bodybuildingrevealed.com or see www.charlespoliquin.com, or any number of web sites on lifting.

Take a very close look at your diet. Make a diary if necessary. Most overweight people eat a ton of junk food without giving it a second thought. With kids around, it's easy to do. But, it's more important for your kids to not eat that crap than for you to not eat it. Educate your wife if you must.

Good luck. I'm assuming you are English? Don't eat the fish and chips. ;) BLECH!

chess9
07-19-2007, 07:27 AM
Well, nobody is made of the same stuff as Chess9. ;)

Diet still plays a major roll in the extra stuff we carry around the middle. Watch that even more. Eating a lot of anything, even the so called healthy fruits and veggies, still adds calories to the diet. Portion size is important. Bluegrasser has some good points. The ole ticker rate needs to be go up and kept up for a while. And just walking at a decent clip is a great way to shed the pounds. But working long days always made it tough for me.

Yes, but you are so lucky to not be so crazy. :)

-Robert

circusmouse
07-19-2007, 09:12 AM
As they say, you get in shape for tennis, not from tennis, so start with fitness. I recommend weight lifting to increase your muscle content, because muscle helps you burn fat. Do your weights first, cardio afterwards because the weight lifting will expend your muscles' supply of sugars, so your body will naturally dip into fat as an energy supply during cardio. Strengthen your legs to prevent knee soreness. Some stretching is also advised.

summer
07-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Drinking wine in the evening is a lot of fun, BUT, it will drive fat into you like a semi full of chocolate chip ice cream. One of my female trainees is going through this little battle at 57. She loves her Pinot Grigio and will often have 3-4 glasses a night. The rest of her diet is pretty good, but even with some hard training she's still only losing SLOWLY the PIG.

If the pig is oinking you gotta' shut that guy up. ;) Usually we know what it is. Diet and exercise, usually. I'm assuming you are not yet on any meds.

In your case, I would need to know the answers to a lot of questions before I made any recommendations, but if your knees are hurting you, it means weight loss is critical because at 205 you are slowly destroying your joints with the impact from tennis. Actually, all that fat is destroying ALL of your body unless you are at least 6'2" tall. I'm guessing you are shorter. ;)

Just guessing here, but a 10 week program of 3 to 4 days per week of gradually progressive weight training, plus 15 minutes each day of biking or rowing cardio would get your testosterone UP. Don't waste time swimming. It's fun, I do it, but I do triathlons. Swimming will add fat, not remove it, unless you can hold a very fast pace. Stop playing tennis until your weight is DOWN at least 10 pounds or more.

Here's something to think about. As your fat rises, your testosterone levels TEND to fall. Without adequate T your you know what will stand a half mast. :) So, if you enjoy sex (with 4 kids, I guess so), hit the gym. Join www.bodybuildingrevealed.com or see www.charlespoliquin.com, or any number of web sites on lifting.

Take a very close look at your diet. Make a diary if necessary. Most overweight people eat a ton of junk food without giving it a second thought. With kids around, it's easy to do. But, it's more important for your kids to not eat that crap than for you to not eat it. Educate your wife if you must.

Good luck. I'm assuming you are English? Don't eat the fish and chips. ;) BLECH!

Chess,

You are a real inspiration to people like me and I always enjoy your posts.

chroix
07-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Where in France? I'll be there in a week (Lorient) and I want to play on clay. Bad.

chess9
07-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Chess,

You are a real inspiration to people like me and I always enjoy your posts.

Thanks, summer!

-Robert

dizzychump
07-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the replies guys

Chess - No meds, i'm 5'10". I think i can manage the progression in weights and 15 minutes cardio a day. i play football and tennis with the kids anyway so if i add with 15 minutes extra that should be good.

I actually don't eat junk food at all but wine and cheese and probably a bit too much red meat. However since the move to France it is difficult to get wholemeal bread so i am eating white baguettes now which are extremely fresh and go hard in hours but its still very processed carb. Its difficult to get wholemeal flour even for the bread maker.

i'd love some fish and chips now - just because i can't get it. With mushy peas of course but thats a northern delicacy you may not be familiar with.

Circus Mouse - yes need to strengthen legs but this is a little concerning with my knees because i don't wan't to put extra strain on.

Chroix - I work in Paris and live in a village about 10 miles west. Haven't seen a clay court yet.

Chess - you are indeed an inspiration. I was actually thinking of taking up more swimming and have ordered the book total immersion. This is because i could go at lunchtime. There are no showers in the office so running is not possible but swimming is something i could do. The bit that worries me about swimming is that if i just splash around with the kids and do almost nothing exercies wis when i get home i could eat a horse and down a couple of gallons of wine.

WildVolley
07-19-2007, 11:52 AM
From my observations, nothing reduces fat for the amount of time spent exercising like lifting weights. Endurance training such as swimming and jogging doesn't even come close.

The best exercises are the most fatiguing. Think squats, deadlifts, bench, rowing, etc. I think this is because you can force yourself to exert a much higher level of intensity with weight lifting compared to what older people are comfortable doing. Go for strength, and as long as you don't change the diet, the fat should start coming off.

circusmouse
07-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Circus Mouse - yes need to strengthen legs but this is a little concerning with my knees because i don't wan't to put extra strain on.

I used to think the same thing, but the knee pain you feel could be from having weak supporting muscles and tendons, thus the need for strength training. It doesn't have to be from weights. You can do weightless lunges and squats and such. There are plenty of bodyweight-only suggestions on the web if you search for them. If you're really concerned about placing extra strain on the knees, you might want to avoid tennis altogether. At least with strength training for the legs, it's controlled movement, unlike the less predictable strain of tennis.

chess9
07-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the replies guys

Chess - No meds, i'm 5'10". I think i can manage the progression in weights and 15 minutes cardio a day. i play football and tennis with the kids anyway so if i add with 15 minutes extra that should be good.

I actually don't eat junk food at all but wine and cheese and probably a bit too much red meat. However since the move to France it is difficult to get wholemeal bread so i am eating white baguettes now which are extremely fresh and go hard in hours but its still very processed carb. Its difficult to get wholemeal flour even for the bread maker.

i'd love some fish and chips now - just because i can't get it. With mushy peas of course but thats a northern delicacy you may not be familiar with.

Chroix - I work in Paris and live in a village about 10 miles west. Haven't seen a clay court yet.

Chess - you are indeed an inspiration. I was actually thinking of taking up more swimming and have ordered the book total immersion. This is because i could go at lunchtime. There are no showers in the office so running is not possible but swimming is something i could do. The bit that worries me about swimming is that if i just splash around with the kids and do almost nothing exercies wis when i get home i could eat a horse and down a couple of gallons of wine.

Let me tell you a story. :)

There was a very talented bike racer who wanted to win an Olympic gold medal on the track. Trouble is, he was a blue collar guy from Chicago. He was a plumber no less. How was he going to work 10-12 hour days and still stay fit enough to race? Mere mortals would have thrown in the towel. Instead, this guy took his training to WORK. He typically worked in high rises in the business district on The Loop in ChiTown. Instead of taking the elevator, he would RUN up the stairs carrying his 50 lb plumber's tool box. Try 30 flights of stairs with that load. Needless to say, he won his gold medal and became a huge inspiration to lots of bike racing fans here.

So, necessity is the mother of invention. You are a decendent of Shakespeare, Newton, Churchill. Surely you can find a way to change your lifestyle. Lifting is definitely the way to go.

Regarding the Total Immersion book by Terry Laughlin I wholeheartedly recommend it. But, how is swimming going to help you lose weight? You don't sound like a guy who is motivated enough to give up white bread, wine and French Brie. :) (Hard to do, I know!) So, you are going to have to find a way to burn it off the exercise end of the equation. I'd strongly recommend dietary changes, but if you aren't realistically going to do them, then your love life will go into the dumper without some serious exercise. And I know that erectile dysfunction would have you in a very bad mood. :)

A lot of this has to do with the pursuit of the almighty dollar, Franc, Pound, or whatever. Like the song Kenny Wayne Sheppard sings says: "I Ain't Seen No U-Haul Behind No Hearse". :) You can't take it with you. Get yourself in shape to really enjoy life. Enough of the preaching.

If you want it, you will find a way. Your wife will help, I'd bet.

-Robert

slewisoh
07-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Especially if you are having trouble with your knees, why not use your lunch hour for brisk walking? My experience has been that weight lifting does very little to burn the belly fat. I only started dropping weight after adding shorter, more intense cardio. For me 30 minutes of energetic walking was the answer.

Someone else mentioned doing lunges and squats without weights - I couldn't agree more. There is no sense diving into an intense workout regimen that will in all likelihood lead to injury.

Take it slow and steady...

dizzychump
07-24-2007, 01:32 AM
Thanks for replies.

I now have a plan based upon comments provided but also based upon convenience for me. This starts today. Any comments would be welcome.

First thing is diet. I intend to cut out the white bread, cheese and limit the wine to a single small glass per day with my evening meal. My diet otherwise is very good. Typically this is muesli for breakfast with tea, 3 or 4 pieces of fruit between 10 and 11, sandwich 12.30, then evening meal when I get home which is never processed. From the evening meal I intend to cut out processed carbs like white rice, pasta as well as potatoes. At the same time I do not intend to feel hungry and would like to be able to eat enough to avoid hunger.

Exercise wise, I am going to do 3 cardio sessions of 15 minutes or more per week. This will be the bicycle, swimming, and light running on soft ground. I intend to do swimming at lunch time at work once or twice a week.

Resistance training – I am going to do body weight exercises – press ups with chairs, squats with medicine ball throwing into air at top, and shoulder press with the stretchy bands. If I do the press ups very slowly between the chairs I cannot do more than 15 (which is probably quite pathetic). I find generally that if I do these exercises slowly enough 3 sets really pumps me. This is probably a bit unbelievable to some here.

I hope to be able to play some tennis as well but everybody in the Paris region disappears for the summer so finding partners will be difficult – my coach has just left to return at the end of August.

I am starting a diary to record my consumption, and I intend to measure progress by taking my waist measurement regularly because that is where the problem is.

The above may seem very light and chicken to some, but by my logic it is very achievable and I know I can do it.

Gram Parsons
07-24-2007, 02:39 AM
If I had just moved to France, I'd want to explore that lovely French countryside.

The best way to do that is on a bike I think. Take the kids out, healthy picnic, fresh bread, fruits, something from the patisserie as a treat.

I love France, apart from my beloved UK, I could live in France happily (and some parts of the US).

Get on the bike son, you might even loose a bit of weight, and it will be jolly good fun.

Great way to see the country.

Marius_Hancu
07-24-2007, 05:00 AM
Replace the cheese with tofu. Worked for me. Reduce your food portions gradually, until you see a difference in your weight.

More vegetables, less meat. I am fine with 2 oz of meat a day and am not a vegetarian.

astra
07-24-2007, 05:39 AM
I recommend to omit (or reduce to minimum) dinners. Do not eat after 6 pm. Drink a lot of water/no sugar drinks. If you are hungry after 6 pm, do not eat, drink instead. It works for me.

dizzychump
07-24-2007, 05:56 AM
Gram - plenty of forest to cycle through here so will try and get out there.

Marius and Astra
I've just been reading and researching and the consensus seems to be that diet is the most important thing. Diet, then weights, then cardio.

I need to reconsider. More vegs and no eating late are therefore more important than i thought. I will start this from today.

i was under the illusion that if i ate fairly healthily i could eat a lot more.

Marius_Hancu
07-24-2007, 03:30 PM
If you're the regular 9-5 guy, you're in a chair the whole day.

You don't need too much to survive, you're not out hunting in the jungle:-)
Minimize your intake.

Flyingpanda
07-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Replace cheese with tofu? IN FRANCE!? How dare you!!!:)

astra
07-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Gram - plenty of forest to cycle through here so will try and get out there.

Marius and Astra
I've just been reading and researching and the consensus seems to be that diet is the most important thing. Diet, then weights, then cardio.

I need to reconsider. More vegs and no eating late are therefore more important than i thought. I will start this from today.

i was under the illusion that if i ate fairly healthily i could eat a lot more.
Yes, to keep the correct body weight, diet is the most important for me. Physical activity is only the second best means. If I had heavy dinners after 19-20 pm, my usual physical activity would not stop the body weight increase.