PDA

View Full Version : Best shoes to avoid purple toe nails?

steve d
03-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Sudden stops often jam my toe nails on my big toe and second toe. They soon turn purple and subsequently fall off, with a decent amount of pain in the process. I finally found a pair of shoes that did not do this (Fila Axilus) but they have been discontinued and I cannot locate any in my size.

Does anyone know if the other Fila's are similarly constructed? Any suggestions of other shoes from someone who also loses their toe nails?

I do prefer the simpler white/with trim style rather than the ones that look like color splotches were randomly applied. But I would even use those monstrosities if I can keep my toe nails.

Hawaii 5.0
03-16-2004, 11:18 AM
A shoe with a good lacing system will hold your foot in place properly from the top and sides versus just the ankle which doesn't stop the sliding of your foot into the tow box.Try to get shoes with no toe cap(big rubber piece on the toe for protection) and good lacing like the B2's,UltraAscendors,CT1000/1001's,Breathe's,FastCourt's.The other Fila's if they fit your foot should work, but those big toe caps worry me and after wearing 4 pairs and I have to say that becuase of the shape I'd advise against them,maybe try the XPoint ot Ventor(adjust to maybe a half size bigger).Fila's have different shapes:old Axilus,MS Speed/US Open,Axiom's(different from previous mold becuase it's all leather upper),Ventor's and now the XPoint.

I'd look into the B2's by Adidas's,KSwiss's UltraAscendors,New Balance's CT1000/1001's,Prince's Fast Court

@wright
03-16-2004, 12:12 PM
I always get purple nails. Maybe I don't tie my shoes tight enough...

Japanese Maple
03-17-2004, 05:33 AM
This is a common problem for me to. This past summer I had no
toe problems wearing the Nike Air Resolve, which for the money I
think is an excellent shoe at $75.

Tom Rohrbacher
03-19-2004, 02:05 PM
Try the Prince Viper Low NFS!

barricade
03-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Why don't you try shoes that are bulky, perhaps Figjams.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-20-2004, 11:21 PM
Make sure they have a tight fit. I had Resolves in 13, a little bit to big, stubbed my toe pretty badly. Got them now in 12.5, and all is well. I have court motion INTL's in 13, and they stub me a little bit too in the toe, but not nearly as bad as the big resolves. Just make sure they fit tight, and you tie them tightly.

Morpheus
03-21-2004, 03:32 AM
You have toe nails?

(Make sure you have lots of room in the toe box. I buy up a size and that has made a huge difference).

ma2t
03-21-2004, 04:17 AM
I have the purple toe-nail problem no matter which shoe I wear. I've worn K-Swiss Ultracendor, Prince NFS, Adidas, etc. Very annoying. But at least I know I don't just stand around flat-footed! :)

joebedford
03-27-2004, 05:57 PM
I think shoes too small can cause black toenails as well. I had trouble last year wearing some Adidases that I think were too small. I wear New Balances now, with some Thorlo socks, and I'm having no troubles.

TMB
03-28-2004, 06:05 AM
A recent post guided me to the New Balance website, which shows different ways to lace your shoes based on different foot problems. I was very skeptical but decided to try the approach for correcting toe problems. I found immediate improvement for toe comfort and "toe health." (Coincidentally, I use New Balance shoes.)

joebedford
03-28-2004, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the link, there.

:wink:

http://www.newbalance.com/productbrowser/performance/lacing_for_a_better_fit.html?sport=Running&gender= &product_type=&feature=

benbo3756
03-28-2004, 09:10 PM
ive never had any toe problems, i think its because i wear thorlos and they are so padded and comfy, also i wear the nike air zoom profilers, maybe they are good for that

matchpoints
03-29-2004, 11:04 AM
2 pairs of socks helps

joebedford
03-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Ugh! Wearing two pairs of socks is just asking for trouble, IMHO. Good way to grow broccoli in there. :P

NoBadMojo
03-29-2004, 03:14 PM
a good first step is to make sure your toe nails NEVER have any length to them especially the big ones. i get the purple toe and sometimes have two big toe nails trying to grow on the same big toe which is pretty funky and then you get the moisture behind there and it gets some sort of weird infection...anyone want me to email them pictures?lol i just think it is one of things that happens if you can run and stop quickly and play hard court ball. my condition got alot better when i strated playing on nothing but the dirt. if the courts you most commonly play on are really grippy try using worn down shoes or newer ones that dont have an aggressive tread. Ed

bcaz
03-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Good mojo, Ed. I'm learning the hard way, there is no substitute for aggressive nail trimming, especially toes 1 and 2. I like your suggestion regarding old shoes. Out here in sunny, hot AZ, we have nothing but hard, grippy courts. Good idea to work the oldies into the mix now and then ...

matchpoints
03-31-2004, 10:40 PM
Ugh! Wearing two pairs of socks is just asking for trouble, IMHO. Good way to grow broccoli in there. :P

You're suppossed to take your socks off after you play NOT sleep in them!!

equinox
07-17-2009, 09:18 AM
You're suppossed to take your socks off after you play NOT sleep in them!!
i do i do, the dog gets plenty of target practice!

iTennis
07-17-2009, 03:57 PM
2 pairs of socks helps

Ditto....together with 1/2 up-sizing fixed my black toe problem, just little more room and cushion in the toe. You can have the issue wearing any shoes if it is too tight in the toe box and your feet moves laterally in the shoes on quick stop. I avoid synthetic socks (i.e. polyester) as they are so slippery. So it is not just the shoes.