PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Tennis In The States

Azza
10-13-2004, 05:31 AM
Now being an observer from Melbourne Australia, curiosity is going to kill the cat but I would like to be enlightened on the structure of junior competitive tennis in the US with me primarily concerned with its grassroot structure and not so much with junior elite tennis which I presume would be structured around national point type tournament system which would contribute to a ranking of some form (same as we would have here).

I guess what I am talking about more so is more recreational type tennis (still quite competitive but nothing like the elites). Vaguely, of what I have assumed, junior players represent their schools? Here in Australia, the same occurs but not seemingly to the extent to which it seems to in the US with players playing for clubs with school tennis being more an excuse to cut class than anything else.

If anyone could elaborate on my request it would be greatly appreciated.

Aoya
10-16-2004, 07:25 PM
Junior players represent themselves. There's a point system here, and you get points per win.

If you happen to play for a school team, there's no nationals..at most probably State. It varies state to state, but that's how it generally goes.

Gaines Hillix
10-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Also, most larger towns and cities have junior tennis programs associated with their parks and recrecation departments. Some of them are recreational but others are competetive and are run like non-resident acadamies. In the later, the parents would pay for court time and instruction, racquets and balls. The best juniors don't play for their high schools or even universities. They are on the satellite or Pro tour by that age.