PDA

View Full Version : Total rest or minor practice?

astra
07-20-2007, 02:19 AM
Hi all, I would like to ask to share your experience. I have been sidelined almost 2 months due to torn thigh. It is better to have total rest until the complete recovery or it is possible to perform minor practice with limited movement during treatment?
Actually, I do the minor practice (and feel a little higher tension in the injured muscle afterwards) cca 2 times a week, but I can not get rid of the injury. Does the minor activity prolong the treatment time?

Marius_Hancu
07-20-2007, 02:47 AM
Do what your doctor and physio say.

Start recovery on stationary bike and running, or with swimming, if allowed.
Then, start light weights.
Only then, tennis.
Everything, very gradually.

astra
07-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Marius, thanks for the advice.

jaredknight
07-21-2007, 04:04 PM
don't get injured :)

dunlopfan
07-21-2007, 06:40 PM
I injured my shoulder once and the best thing for me was to rest until I felt 100% better. I think that since you tore your muscle, you definately need to package that tennis fever up and let your body rest until you feel fit enough to play again. Minor paractice could definately make your injury worse.

astra
07-21-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks Dunlop, I have made the same conclusion - total rest. It is painful to drop the racquet completely, but it seems there is no other way.

astra
07-21-2007, 11:44 PM
don't get injured :)

I am 42, your advice does not work any more:)

Phil
07-22-2007, 03:17 AM
Hi all, I would like to ask to share your experience. I have been sidelined almost 2 months due to torn thigh. It is better to have total rest until the complete recovery or it is possible to perform minor practice with limited movement during treatment?
Actually, I do the minor practice (and feel a little higher tension in the injured muscle afterwards) cca 2 times a week, but I can not get rid of the injury. Does the minor activity prolong the treatment time?

Think of it this way: There is no DOWNSIDE to 100% complete rest.
There is a MAJOR downside to playing before you have achieved 100% recovery-i.e. you could re-injure the muscle, injure it even more seriously than the original injury or prolong the recovery. The best thing that can happen if you practice is nothing...but do you want to risk all for that?

astra
07-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Think of it this way: There is no DOWNSIDE to 100% complete rest.
There is a MAJOR downside to playing before you have achieved 100% recovery-i.e. you could re-injure the muscle, injure it even more seriously than the original injury or prolong the recovery. The best thing that can happen if you practice is nothing...but do you want to risk all for that?

To say the full truth, I am already re-injoured due to the too soon return...
I did not want to hear the voice of my brain and sought the way to join treatment and practice, because of my frustration from sitting at home and missing tournament by tournament.
Now it is time to hear the brain (as each practice left me with a little pain)and advices on this forum give me the power to stop playing completely, to cure completely, regardless the necessary time.
I want to be fit enough to play tennis, do not want to start playing golf! :)

Phil
07-22-2007, 12:16 PM
To say the full truth, I am already re-injoured due to the too soon return...
I did not want to hear the voice of my brain and sought the way to join treatment and practice, because of my frustration from sitting at home and missing tournament by tournament.
Now it is time to hear the brain (as each practice left me with a little pain)and advices on this forum give me the power to stop playing completely, to cure completely, regardless the necessary time.
I want to be fit enough to play tennis, do not want to start playing golf! :)

That's too bad. I guess you can say you learned a lesson-the hard way. I am currently taking a break from tennis due to an injury myself and I almost pulled the trigger and went out there last week-making every possible excuse for playing, to myself. Fortunately, the brain won out, as psychologically painful as it was...along with the help of some bad weather and a friend telling me, in so many words, what an idiot I would be if I went out there with an injury and tried to play. Rest that leg!

astra
07-23-2007, 12:29 AM
[QUOTE=Phil;1607941]That's too bad. I guess you can say you learned a lesson-the hard way. QUOTE]

Phil, the lesson is much harder than I expected when decided to risk re-injury and ingnored advices not to play. Instead one or two weeks longer rest at the end of May, now it seems to cost me all the season.
Led Zeppelin sing: Nobody`s fault but mine...

fuzz nation
07-23-2007, 07:28 AM
Bummer!!!

I'm 41 and found out in my high school soccer days how hard it is to mend a torn thigh muscle. I never got back up to full speed in the fall after popping it late in the summer and I was doing the PT and everything I was supposed to do.

The lesson I've learned: If you hurt something when you were 100%, it won't work for you while it's at less than 100%. You can't put the recovery of a soft tissue injury on a clock; they mend on their own schedule. My concentration now is on prevention of these sorts of injuries through moderate lifting, cycling, and yoga. Be cool and let your leg mend.

astra
07-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Bummer!!!

I'm 41 and found out in my high school soccer days how hard it is to mend a torn thigh muscle. I never got back up to full speed in the fall after popping it late in the summer and I was doing the PT and everything I was supposed to do.

The lesson I've learned: If you hurt something when you were 100%, it won't work for you while it's at less than 100%. You can't put the recovery of a soft tissue injury on a clock; they mend on their own schedule. My concentration now is on prevention of these sorts of injuries through moderate lifting, cycling, and yoga. Be cool and let your leg mend.

Fuzz, that is right. I have already updated my treatment time schedule to 2-3months since now. It has taken me almost two months to become reconciled with the fact.