PDA

View Full Version : Calling matches before they're over?

guernica1
03-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Admittedly I didn't watch much of the Australian but on Indian Wells TV yesterday I noticed Pat McEnroe twice proclaimed matches as being over even when it was just a set and a break down. Even Cliff Drysdale was a little perplexed.

Is this something new that he's doing?

dander
03-16-2004, 11:55 AM
man, did you see safin at that point? half the balls he was making token swings at best and roddick was running like a madman. safin second serve every time high to the roddick backhand, which he was attacking just like fed at the aussie final. the second set wasn't even as close as the score indicated

Matt H.
03-16-2004, 12:09 PM
the match you're talking about was Roddick vs. Safin.

Like dander pretty much said, it was painfully obvious Safin was just tanking the match so he could get off the court (it was hot out there, like 90* outside) and head back to the locker room.

guernica1
03-16-2004, 12:35 PM
No I'm referring to when he did it in the evening again with Hrbaty down a break in the 2nd again. I think its a bit disrespectful to the other player, knowing full well that anything can happen in sports.

It doesn't make you look that much smarter when its very obvious like in the Safin match and when the opposite comes true it makes you look silly.

I don't have a huge problem with it... just a sign of the times.

PFurlong
03-16-2004, 03:59 PM
Just so you know...the players can't hear them nor would they care.

polakosaur
03-16-2004, 04:42 PM
sometimes you know when a match is over, but you got to remember this is mac he knows what he is talking about