PDA

View Full Version : Sampras a liability in WTT?

VGP
07-20-2007, 08:43 AM
I was watching TTC last night and they had the broadcast of WTT with Sacramento at Newport and Sampras lost both the men's singles and men's doubles (usually teaming with Rick Leach).

Looking at his record in WTT, it sure isn't good.

Is it the no-ad five game format? The team environment? The media circus type atmosphere?

I guess in the end, WTT promotes the game and puts equal weight on men's and women's performance.

Plus, Sampras sure draws a crowd.......

SideSpinPDR
07-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Yeah, I think as long as Sampras is drawing a crowd he'll never be a liabilty. :) I haven't seen any of the WTT matches and I didn't know they did the scoring like that.

the green god
07-20-2007, 10:44 AM
it is because the matches do not mean anything.

Mickey Finn
07-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Sampras has always been a poor practice player; you could fill a stadium with the guys who beat him in a practice set. I don't think he can get it up for WTT matches.

RedWeb
07-20-2007, 11:18 AM
WTT is nothing more than entertainment and should not be considered a serious sports event. As such Sampras brings excitement to the court.

ThePro101
07-20-2007, 11:26 AM
"Its nice, but no one remembers who won Philadelphia." Sampras -- Same applies here I guess...

GS
07-20-2007, 11:36 AM
I liked what Newport Beach's coach last year said when he heard Pete was included on his team---something like, "Oh No!", meaning he would have to let a rusty Sampras play, and he was right about the results---Pete lost most of his singles matches last season (but won most of his doubles). The Breakers did get to the championship final but lost to Philadelphia. Sampras didn't play.

Setmatch45
07-20-2007, 11:46 AM
I was at the WTT match last night that he played in. He did not look good but not that bad either. He played the first set against a guy that is 150 or so in the world and lost the one set in a tie breaker. The same 150 in the world beat John Mcenroe 5-2 Monday night. He than had to sit about an hour why ladies doulbes took place than he played mens doubles. He and leach played Neimeyer (150) in the world and Daniel Nestor. Leach and Pete lost that as well. As far as a liability I would say no, my eight year old got to meet the best player of all time he did play ok and he donated a tennis racquet and a pair of nike sneakers both autographed that was auctioned during half time for 10,000 as McEnroe donated a racquet and two shirts all autographed that at auctioned at half time for 3500.00.

coloskier
07-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Most top pro players do not like playing "1st one to 5 games" matches. Most are just starting to get warmed up by then. Pete has always been a notoriously slow starter. His game is definitely not suited to WTT scoring.

scotus
07-29-2007, 10:05 PM
I would much rather watch a mediocre Sampras lose matches than a hot college kid win matches.