PDA

View Full Version : Pulling strings

Power Game
10-13-2004, 09:43 AM
Is it really neccesary to pull every string while stringing (on my racquets only, to save time)? Will my wise tension head pull the string so that the tension is the same throughout?
Thanks

rich s
10-13-2004, 10:34 AM
try it and tell us how it plays. :shock:

Gaines Hillix
10-13-2004, 12:11 PM
The string tension will not be the same on the adjacent strings if you do this. Double pulling is not recommended. But, as Rich said, try it for yourself. That's one of the beauties of having your own machine.

David Pavlich
10-13-2004, 02:47 PM
No, it's not necessary. However, you're wasting a set of strings and your time if you don't because you will produce a poor stringbed.

David

Steve Huff
10-13-2004, 02:54 PM
I think you should prestring all 16 mains, then put a clamp on one end and tension the other end. Leave it that way over night. At first, you'll probably have to repull because of it taking up so much slack, but you'll have lots of free time after you get all of the slack out. But just think, you'll probably save at least 15 minutes, time enough to eat a snack, take a dump, read the sports page, whatever task seems to be glaring at you at the time. As for the crosses, I'd only pull half of them at a time. There's more friction. Make sure the knot doesn't loosen too much either, while you're waiting for the first few strings to get tight. I don't see a huge time savings here, but it might save some wear and tear on your machine if you only have to pull 3 times for an entire string job. Good luck. Can't wait to find out how it works. Oh, and about this little tropical island near Skagway I have for sale.....

David Pavlich
10-13-2004, 06:40 PM
Good stuff, Steve! I left out the sarcasm, but the message is certainly the same.

David

Power Game
10-14-2004, 08:06 PM
OK, Thanks, was my question that absurd?

I'd try it but I can't afford to waste a set of string

Thanks again,

leigh
10-15-2004, 07:33 AM
Power Game, nothing like asking an honest question and get smacked in the head for doing so. I pull every main to have a more consistent string bed. The crosses I pull twice for the purists; once when half-way across the string bed and again when completely across due to the friction caused when the mains and crosses meet.

Just kidding about the last part but in truth a case could be made for doing so. Tension each main and cross string and you will meet accepted requirements/standards.

BigboyDan
10-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Pull every string, always. The whole pont of having access to a stringer is to do it yourself and do it right.

Steve Huff
10-15-2004, 03:41 PM
Wasn't trying to jerk you around. Sorry if you took it that way. If you have a constant pull machine, you should only have to pull each string once. You really don't save that much time by pulling multiple strings at once--not after you've gotten more practice stringing. Before, when I used a lockout machine (Ektelon H), I often pulled EACH string twice to overcome some of the relaxing of the string after the initial pull.

Power Game
10-15-2004, 08:39 PM
Steve,
No problem, I didn't take it that way at all. Glad you answered the question though,
Thanks