PDA

View Full Version : how to speed up tension loss in strings?

The Gorilla
07-20-2007, 12:49 PM
some idiot stringer strung my racquet WAAAAY to tight, is there any way I can lower the tension, eg: apply heat etc?

The Gorilla
07-20-2007, 12:50 PM
This is really urgent, it's hurting my arm.

The Gorilla
07-20-2007, 12:53 PM
anyone ?

superstition
07-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Put the racquet in a hot car trunk on a sunny day.

The Gorilla
07-20-2007, 01:07 PM

we don't get much sun in my neck of the woods, what about an oven?
Is it conceivably possible my racquet could warp?It's made of graphite, I just don't want to take any risks?

Pr0DiGy
07-20-2007, 01:08 PM
I've heard that stepping on the strings loosens the strings up a bit.

Be cautious though, you could damage your racket if you apply too much pressure/weight.

Jack the Hack
07-20-2007, 01:09 PM
I've seen players lay their racquets on the ground and step/stand on the strings to try to loosen them up... but I don't know how effective that is. It seems pretty unscientific, but I am not aware of other methods to decrease tension rapidly (other than cutting the strings out of course).

By the way, buy your own stringing machine and learn to string yourself... and then you won't have to rely on an "idiot stringer" who might screw things up (unless that idiot is you). Also, with your own machine, stringing is a lot cheaper and you feel a lot less guilt over cutting a bad job out and starting over.

aidenous
07-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Take the racquet immediately back to the idiot stringer and hit him over the head continuous for about five minutes should loosen up the strings.

Jack the Hack
07-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Take the racquet immediately back to the idiot stringer and hit him over the head continuous for about five minutes should loosen up the strings.

What if the stringer was a woman? After hitting her over the head with your racquet several times, do you then drag her by the hair back to your cave? :mrgreen:

tennisguy7482
07-20-2007, 01:22 PM

that was hilarious

A.T.S.
07-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Um? May I suggest a hair dryer? No sun no problem right?

steve s
07-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Cut Them Out.

A.T.S.
07-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Cut Them Out.
No offence but do you even know what he's asking?

Aeropro master
07-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Um? May I suggest a hair dryer? No sun no problem right?

Anything hot would reduce thr tension quite a bit. Also, the tenson of a racket reduces 10% the first day you get it.

gjoc
07-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Try putting it in the freezer overnight--that'll shorten the strings and stretch 'em.

Don't hit with it right after you take it out though, let it get back to room temperature first.

gjoc
07-20-2007, 02:04 PM
You know, on second thought, since you can't go back once you've stretched them, maybe you should just put it in the fridge the first night, and if they're still too tight, then the freezer.

And like someone else said above, they're going to stretch out some the first day anyway, so maybe you should wait a day to do anything.

Young Pete
07-20-2007, 02:06 PM
simply put just hit against the wall with it a few times, or rally with a really good player that should loosen it up real nice.

The Gorilla
07-20-2007, 02:34 PM
thanks for all the suggestions.The prblem with the hairdryer idea is that the string would lose tension unevenly.I tried standing on it and that actually worked perfectly, although I'm sure that fridge idea wuold also work.

Voltron
07-20-2007, 02:42 PM
we don't get much sun in my neck of the woods, what about an oven?
Is it conceivably possible my racquet could warp?It's made of graphite, I just don't want to take any risks?
Seriously, whoever told you this is a ****ing idiot, never ever do that.
LOLZ, good advice.
Try putting it in the freezer overnight--that'll shorten the strings and stretch 'em.

Don't hit with it right after you take it out though, let it get back to room temperature first. Never ever do that either, it's really bad for your frame.

You know, on second thought, since you can't go back once you've stretched them, maybe you should just put it in the fridge the first night, and if they're still too tight, then the freezer.

And like someone else said above, they're going to stretch out some the first day anyway, so maybe you should wait a day to do anything.
Kill.Your.Self
thanks for all the suggestions.The prblem with the hairdryer idea is that the string would lose tension unevenly.I tried standing on it and that actually worked perfectly, although I'm sure that fridge idea wuold also work. Gorilla, don't listen to anything oven/trunk/freezer/fridge related, that's horrendously bad for your frame. I suggest taking it back to the stringer, personally, if one of my customers thinks I did a frame too tight (never actually come up, but w/e), I would restring for the cost of strings. You can step on your stringbed, but that's not too great either. If you do, put your frame on a flat surface, with the handle hanging off the edge of said surface, then step VERY LIGHTLY in the center of the stringbed, try it, rinse and repeat.

A.T.S.
07-20-2007, 02:46 PM
thanks for all the suggestions.The prblem with the hairdryer idea is that the string would lose tension unevenly.I tried standing on it and that actually worked perfectly, although I'm sure that fridge idea wuold also work.
I guess stemping on them worked then. I was just wondering if you did it with or without shoes on?

Richie Rich
07-20-2007, 04:32 PM
next time, take it back to stringer and get it restrung. stepping on the strings could crack the frame (just because malisse does this doesn't mean it's ok for others to do the same - he gets his racquets for free)

The Gorilla
07-20-2007, 05:10 PM
I guess stemping on them worked then. I was just wondering if you did it with or without shoes on?

without, I don't see what bad effect it could have on the frame though, surely if anything was to break it would be the strings.

The Gorilla
07-20-2007, 05:14 PM

look what happened when this guy left his racquet in the car on a hot day

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9812005@N02/

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1386/753157628_f84fff7d9c_m.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1242/752406061_1180bb4f04_m.jpg

A.T.S.
07-20-2007, 05:33 PM
I know it's just a badminton racket but that's harsh. OMG

The Gorilla
07-20-2007, 05:42 PM
that's a tennis racquet

A.T.S.
07-20-2007, 05:47 PM
It's a badminton racket. Look at the neck and the width of the frame. Or are you just messin with me.

snoopy
07-20-2007, 06:53 PM
proper foot stomping technique at about 15 seconds into this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVY7afAZM_k&mode=related&search=

Max Winther
07-20-2007, 07:12 PM
proper foot stomping technique at about 15 seconds into this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVY7afAZM_k&mode=related&search=

look how much her frame was bending. that had to have had a negative affect on her frame. sure its fine for her since she goes through 2 or 3 racquets every match, but for regular players, i suggest voltrons tecnique of hanging the handle off the surface you put the head on, that way the throat doesnt undergo such strenuous deflection.

The Gorilla
07-20-2007, 07:24 PM
It's a badminton racket. Look at the neck and the width of the frame. Or are you just messin with me.

no, it's a tennis racqet

Pr0DiGy
07-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Yeah, he is messin' with you/us.

User Name
07-20-2007, 08:00 PM
just be very careful with stepping on it and NO HEAT

SFrazeur
07-20-2007, 08:35 PM
I have myself in the past performed an expedited manual tension reduction procedure. In other words put the racquet on the ground and pressed my foot on the middle of the string bed. If you do it, do it very lightly and gently. (No hysterically embarrassing misspelling that time people :).)

-SF

superstition
07-20-2007, 09:08 PM
That's a badminton racquet. It's well known among badminton players that the racquets shouldn't be left in freezing or hot temperatures. Badminton racquets are more delicate than tennis racquets, unless they're made of steel.

I've never seen any sign of warping in a tennis racquet from trunk heat.

Burt Turkoglu
07-21-2007, 05:07 PM
I've done this many times before without a problem: I put a couple of thin couch pillows under the racket (to support the head and handle)....then I place a tennis ball in the center of the racket head and stand on the ball which pushes into the racket....works like a charm....never damaged a racket....I have used this technique with a hair dryer as well (works faster)....

keithchircop
07-21-2007, 05:22 PM
just play with it for a solid 2 hours and it will lose a minimum 8lbs tension, maximum 20lbs depending on the string and how hard you hit.

Midlife crisis
07-22-2007, 02:39 PM
without, I don't see what bad effect it could have on the frame though, surely if anything was to break it would be the strings.

Well, on a typical 16X19 frame strung at 60 pounds, you're talking about a total static compressive load on the hoop of over 4000 pounds. That's quite a bit of load into a structure that probably weighs six to eight ounces. On top of that, the load bearing faces for the strings will tend to put a load on the graphite in directions which it doesn't have maximum strength. That's why the grommets are made of such stiff and inflexible materials - to help spread this load out as much as possible.

Bottom line is that you could probably get away with standing on the strings, but you can't be sure you're not doing any damage to it, or the frame may break the first time you do it. It's a load the frame isn't designed for.

poncho
10-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Will leaving your racquets out on your porch in direct sunlight for a few hours also reduce the tension?