PDA

View Full Version : a "carry" or double hit

Coop28
10-13-2004, 09:56 AM
Where can I fiind a thorough explanation regarding the rule about a "carry" or double hit?

atatu
10-13-2004, 10:25 AM
You can download the rules of tennis from the USTA website. Here's what they say about the double hit rule:

USTA Comment 24.5: Does a player lose a point if the ball hits
his racket twice during one swing? No. Only when there is a definite and deliberate “second push” by the player does the shot become illegal. “Deliberately” is the key word in this rule. Two hits occurring during a single continuous swing are not deemed a double hit.

Coop28
10-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Thanks Atatu. Perfect description.

bcaz
10-13-2004, 08:42 PM
One thing that chapped me more than just about anything that ever happened on the court happened a few years ago. Playing doubles, I swung and the racquet hit the ball twice and fell in for a winner. An opponent called a double hit and claimed the point. I was displeased but still an inexperienced player. I went home and read the rules and the code thoroughly, and was so convinced of the injustice that I put a copy of the rules in my bag. The next time I see this joker, I pull out the rules and he waves his hand and says, it doesn't matter, since he thought it was a double hit and called it, my intent or one swing didn't matter, he was distracted, it was like a ball rolling on the court, so it would have been a let anyway. Ridiculous. I've haven't seen the guy since, and in hundreds or thousands of hours on the court since then, I've never seen a double hit called.