PDA

View Full Version : Sampras vs. Macenroe Exhibition '07

Hondasteve
07-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Just got home from the exhibition match and it was a blast! While you could definitely tell that each player had lost a step, they were still stroking the ball with style and power. Great match and I would say that when Sampras wanted to kick his game up a gear, all the cogs were there. Nice to see the guys still have it.

bank5
07-21-2007, 07:47 PM
It was definitely a good time, although the first set seemed a little scripted. Seemed like Sampras had way too many unforced errors when he lost the first set 6-3.

It was good seeing both guys have a lot of fun out and Sampras showing his personality while playing. I especially liked the 10-point sets they had at the end. Even the top college players in the area looked like amateurs against the legends.

volleyman
07-26-2007, 07:41 PM
It was interesting to see the huge gap between retired former #1 pro players and current/just graduated college players. And while the singles match seemed scripted, it was enjoyably so. It was, after all, an exhibition. :-)

scotus
07-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Where was this event held?

volleyman
07-27-2007, 04:36 PM
RBC Center in Raleigh, NC.

35ft6
07-29-2007, 09:34 AM
It was interesting to see the huge gap between retired former #1 pro players and current/just graduated college players. And while the singles match seemed scripted, it was enjoyably so. It was, after all, an exhibition. :-) Tell us more about the graduated college players. Did the "legends" play against them? What happened? Who were the college players?

bank5
07-29-2007, 06:31 PM
Tell us more about the graduated college players. Did the "legends" play against them? What happened? Who were the college players?

For the mixed doubles Sampras teamed up with a girl who I think won the state championship and has a full ride to Duke. McEnroe was teamed up with the doubles national champion from UNC. The legends could pretty much ace them whenever. They also made them look foolish around the net. McEnroe had a no look volley that was pretty amazing.

The guys didn't do much better. Both played for NC State. I enjoy watching college tennis but it really showed the huge gap between college and the pros.

Hondasteve
07-29-2007, 07:20 PM
I was less than impressed with the college players as well. I guess that just shows how much better the top level pro player is than even the nation's best college level player. Mac and Pete were pretty phenomenal around the net.

I was also surprised at how empty the arena was. Much less than half full.

I have a short vid that I took of a few points that i will post as soon as it uploads.

scotus
07-30-2007, 01:05 PM
No college girl can look good playing next to Sampras and McEnroe. As for college boys, NC State simply doesn't have top national players.

Hondasteve
07-31-2007, 06:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbegcI2dYJo

Sorry for the poor quality-something was lost in the translation.

WBF
07-31-2007, 06:24 AM
It was interesting to see the huge gap between retired former #1 pro players and current/just graduated college players. And while the singles match seemed scripted, it was enjoyably so. It was, after all, an exhibition. :-)

I'm pretty confident that a good number of retired professionals, as well as top level seniors would stack up quite well against many top college players. Even those that never made it into the top 100...

Mad iX
07-31-2007, 06:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbegcI2dYJo

Sorry for the poor quality-something was lost in the translation.

Sampras' serve looks effortless in that video. Was he going for his serves?

Hondasteve
07-31-2007, 09:22 PM
It looked like he was swinging at about 80% on most, then he would crack a huge bomb for an ace seemingly at will. He has such a smooth motion that is would be impossible to read what you were getting. I was green with envy!!