PDA

View Full Version : What do you want in a match ?

Cypo
02-20-2004, 12:13 PM
I mean when you're playing for fun - Who's your favorite type of opponent, when do you have that 'That was a blast' feeling ?

For me it's playing against an all courter on a medium fast surface. I really love having a lot of different balls to contend with and the variety in the rallys.

Sampragassi
02-20-2004, 01:54 PM
For me its the thinking player. I don't care if its borris becker on the other side of the net - if he isn't thinking he isn't winning. I would much prefer an adaptive "lesser" player than an advanced player with a one dimensional game. Give me the thinking player and I'll show you a game of chess on legs.

Anonymous
02-20-2004, 02:20 PM
I like players that try to change the rythm of the match. Then, I sense and intercept their intentions and rip them apart. :evil:

roundiesee
02-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Someone who is a better player than yourself and who is an all round good sport and doesn't cheat on line calls. Obvoiusly an all-courter would be a better option than some one who bashes away on the baseline.

Momo
02-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Wow... sounds like I'm in high demand ;)

As for my own preferences, as long as both players play cleanly (winners >> UE's), I'll enjoy and appreciate the game. Cheaters and mind game players are obviously precluded from any consideration.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-20-2004, 10:08 PM
I actually like someone who will dictate points from the baseline more, allowing me to use my speed and court coverage to play I guess you might say, a counter puncher game in a way, I like to say more like Nalbandian style, with attempt at Federer shot making. One of my friends can just hit side to side, and I run down everything, but not just pop-up defence, I mean topspin rallies, and I love it.

ohplease
02-21-2004, 06:33 AM
Someone thoughtful, with enough weapons to punish mistakes from me, but not so many as to make it boring for both of us. This usually means high level women or men who've been playing for a while.

I can tell you who I absolutely loathe to play: testosterone poisoned dudes who'd rather hit it hard than in. Or those win-at-all costs, frustrated middle manager types. Yawn.

zpr1872
02-21-2004, 11:12 AM
For me-- someone (preferrably a baseliner) who hits a nice clean, medium-paced ball. This way I can impose my own game very well (serve-and-volley / allcourter, I use a lot of spin and variety).

bcaz
02-22-2004, 02:04 PM
I like to play a power baseliner with a big serve and short second serve, who forces me to take the ball early and attack. I love coming in on these guys, because you know you have to make a deep, penetrating groundstroke, or a quality approach shot, to get to the net, and when I'm there, I know they will go for a quality passing shot rahter than a lob. They also force to me avoid giving them that dreaded short ball.

BC

peter
02-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Definitely a stable baseliner that knows how to hit the ball hard.

One of the best and most fun matches was one I played about
a year ago against a friend of mine. He won in the third set 19-17 (tiebreaks are for wimps :-) and I think the number of times we
left the baseline could be counted on one the fingers of one hand...

That match took quite some time to play. :-)

Max G.
02-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Actually, it doesn't really matter for me. If it's a power baseliner, I have fun driving them up the wall with slice; if it's a defensive baseliner, I have fun picking and choosing my opportunities to get in. If I'm playing an all-courter, I like making it a game of "who can get in first wins." And then getting in first. :-p

@wright
02-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Max, I love your signature, it's funny as hell. I like playing anyone who hits high bouncing topspin groundies and serves, it bounces right up into my strikezone so I can put all the pain and hurt of the world into my groundies and approach shots. I also like playing guys who like to come into net, it's nice having a target. Actually it's also fun playing guys who DON'T like coming into net, because you can always get them in with a short slice and then, you guessed it, it's target practice time. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I like playing anyone who doesn't hit real flat, low slices and groundstrokes, those just get on my nerves, I feel like I'm playing in SUPER gravity.

Max G.
02-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Hehe, thanks.

I guess the people who I don't like playing are people who are way better than me. The kind of people who have an EASY answer to everything I try to do, and just blow me off the court with every shot they hit - after the first set, it's just demoralizing. I don't mind playing people who are better than me - as long as the match stays kind of competitive, as long as I win points when I play well. It's no fun when there's literally nothing I can do.

Russiadude
02-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Believe it or not, I love playing people in official tournament matches that deserve getting beat. I love the ones that brag about how easily they can beat you and have huge powerful strokes and serves. Once the match starts everything becomes simple. If the players are close in ranking and/or skill the thinking man usually wins. It may just be the fact that I love sweet sweet revenge but beating @$$holes always feels good. :twisted:

ibemadskillzz
02-24-2004, 05:14 PM
For me its the thinking player. I don't care if its borris becker on the other side of the net - if he isn't thinking he isn't winning. I would much prefer an adaptive "lesser" player than an advanced player with a one dimensional game. Give me the thinking player and I'll show you a game of chess on legs.
thinking? hahaha. You can win without thinking hahaha you're a funny kid.

Drop Shot 11
07-11-2009, 06:08 PM
I mean when you're playing for fun - Who's your favorite type of opponent, when do you have that 'That was a blast' feeling ?

For me it's playing against an all courter on a medium fast surface. I really love having a lot of different balls to contend with and the variety in the rallys.

Somebody who makes me better, someone who is slightly better than me. Oh, and it'd have to be on the Newport RI grass courts.

dave333
07-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Having crazy long exciting rallies where we run each other all over the place

Drop Shot 11
07-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Having crazy long exciting rallies where we run each other all over the place

Not only run, but slide all over the place, on a clay court.

Blake0
07-11-2009, 06:30 PM
i like playing against..volleyers...not s&v, but like who approach to net to end the point. Always fun trying to come up with passing shots..even though you miss half...but once you get a good one in...feels great.

raiden031
07-11-2009, 06:39 PM
I like matches where the opponent plays similar to myself, which is to hit big, powerful shots. I like the score to be competitive. I like when there are lots of long rallies, as well as great winner shots from both players. Its also more fun when there are lots of breaks of serve, that way you never know whats going to happen.

I also find some of my most satisfying wins to be when I beat a pusher handily. I used to have massive problems against pushers, and so its refreshing when my game is effective against them because it took so long to get my game to that point. Even when I beat a pusher, if the score is too competitive, I'm usually not satisfied because I feel like I shoulda beat them easier.

Storm_Kyori
07-12-2009, 09:11 PM
A player around my level or a bit better than me. Someone who is a good sport. I had a friend whom I met when I first started tennis. He had been playing about a a year when I took up the sport. He knew I was just starting, but none the less, he would hit with me. He gave me tips and advice on what I could do to improve or what I was doing wrong. As I got better, he gave me compliments on my progress and that motivated me to give him a good match. It's a personality like that that brings out the best in both people I think.