PDA

View Full Version : Poly strings and drop weight stringers

NoBadMojo
03-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Hi there. I've a drop weight stringer that has always sted me well. When I string w. a poly even at pretty low tension, the drop weight doesnt even come close to pulling the bar to horizontal no matter how i put the string in the tensionhead..sometimes it wont even make 45 degrees. this stuff is nasty. I have a set of klip xplosive i would like to try and dont wish to even try it in my cheesy drop weight stringer. the poly is just so stiff and non elastic. should i give it to a friend to string in his crank type machine? if it takes that much energy to pull the string, do you folks think that poly's are actually tough on grommets and frames? thanks. Ed

Gaines Hillix
03-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Ed, you definetly have to adjust the amount of slack you leave in the string when doing poly on a drop weight, but it can be done. Having a tension head with a clutch or ratcheting mechanism makes it a lot easier. These strings are also easy to kink because of the sharp bend required to get the string around the head and into the jaws on most drop weights with rotating heads.

Hawaii 5.0
03-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Poly's and kevlar are tough to string on drop weights.Poly's aren't bad on frames or grommets,you just have to be a good stringer to know how to do knots that don't destroy them.My T90's have excellent knot conditions and I string mostly with poly's and they're over a year old with probably 20 string jobs each.Poly's don't take well to sharp angles or alot of pressure.You can adjust the slack, but that takes more stringer work to get a good consistent job since you have to adjust alot.I say if it's not too big a deal try and adjust slack for personal experience, but in the future a crank or other machine might fare better.

NoBadMojo
03-16-2004, 01:35 PM
ok thanks guys....i see what i have to do. i must figure out how much less than taut i have to start pulling each string at to get the tension bar to drop to near horizontal. og sheep seems to be at the other end of the spectrum being very stretchy..i think poly's must lead to inconsistent string jobs on drop weights unless you get used to stringing one particular one. the klip xplosive hybrid uses their new kboom. Ed

Rabbit
03-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Ed -

When I had a drop weight, I strung poly like this. Instead of the arm being at the top of the arc, I moved it to the bottom. Then, I'd move the jaws (they ratcheted) down a little, insert the string, and lift the arm. If the arm was not vertical, I'd adjust the jaws a little and try again. It was time consuming and a real pain, but it did work better than trying to start the arm at the top of the arc. Hope this helps.

Deuce
03-17-2004, 02:32 AM
I've strung both Poly and Kevlar on a dropweight with a ratcheting, rotating tension head, and never had any problems (I start with the arm up, as is usual). Sure, you've got to be rather precise with the Kevlar - it doesn't stretch AT ALL - but once you anticipate it, it's no problem.

Frankly, I have more of a problem with the more stretchy strings, sometimes having to wrap around and pull tension twice on the same string.

SW Stringer
03-17-2004, 09:40 AM
My experience is similar to Deuce's. Getting the bar level using Poly's or Kevlar is much simpler than with a stretchy string. It's all in the technique.

NoBadMojo
03-17-2004, 09:51 AM
diff strokes....i can do the stretchy strings easier on mine..mines a real cheapo gamma for like 100 bucks.stringing ain't neurosurgery..i guess i just dont like playing w. polys or stringing polys...am stickin to klip legend/og micro hybrid..am diggin it like a day off. thanks for all the help everyone. i think poly's should come w. warning labels like cigs. Ed

tarheelbornjohn
03-17-2004, 11:59 AM
Like was said, you just have to give it a little slack to start the pull. After a while you get a feel for how much to use. I use a drop weight with Lex ALU and have not had a problem. Acutally, I think they put less stress on the groumets. They slide thru very easily. I have a cheep Gamma stringer too. The only problem is with the flying clamps slipping sometimes. You have to make sure that they are nice and tight but not too tight to deform the string.