PDA

View Full Version : Head Intellistring

Jerry Seinfeld
10-14-2004, 06:06 AM
This is a string that I have not personally playtested so I need to hear from some users. When installing are there advantages to reducing the tension on the mains as if it were a poly? Overall, what are your impressions of this string? Can it be compared to anything? From what little I know of it, it is a unique creature in the world of strings. Please help educate me.

Thanks!

David Pavlich
10-14-2004, 08:57 AM
I string a lot of this stuff. It's a playable string with average durability. I don't know what effect different tensions would create.

A couple of stringing tips: Both have a huge amount of coil memory. I prestretch both, but the cross string is very susceptible to breaking the knot if you pull too hard. The mains are also prone to knot breaking, but not nearly as bad as the cross.

When I prestretch the cross string, I use a flying clamp instead of tying it off to the door due to the knot breakage. Even after prestretching, it still tends to remember its "slinky" heritage although not as bad.

David

watch_the_ball
07-27-2005, 10:10 PM
Just got some of this string to try out. Should I reduce the tension as if it were a poly? Not exactly sure if "polyolefine" is the same as polyester.

Kevo
07-28-2005, 07:20 AM
No. Don't reduce the tension like polyester. You may want to reduce about 2lbs. overall if you are coming from a very soft multi or synthetic, because it is a little stiffer than a standard synthetic.

I liked this string quite a bit when I first tried it. My only complaint was the tension loss was a little more than I would like, but I didn't prestretch it, so that would probably help. I had pretty good control with it and the feel was good too, but I thought it played very similar to RIP control, and for the money I think RIP control is a better value.

TennsDog
07-28-2005, 08:34 AM
I use Iso-Speed strings, which also have polyolefin, and they suggest increasing tension by 10% due to the initial tension loss over the first day. I did this and it played great. I don't know if the tension increase is based on being made with polyolefin or a more unique construction just by Iso-Speed.

jbs24
07-28-2005, 02:43 PM
From what i've seen, these strings are supposed to reduce vibration. I prefer a decent multifilament which has better dampening, and longer playability. Maybe less durability, however, the intellistring will last way beyond its playable lifetime.