PDA

View Full Version : Can I gain muscle without lifting weights?

AmericanTemplar
07-23-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm 6'2" and I'm guessing that I weigh around 160 lbs although I don't have a scale to verify the accuracy of my estimate. I've played tennis daily for the past 2 years and until last september I had been working at a hotel where I ate fatty cafeteria food 5 days a week.

Since having started a new job I am now paying for my own meals, so I have been eating much more balanced healthy meals. I sweat a lot when I play tennis and I have gotten so skinny that none of my clothes fit as well as they once did. In many ways I prefer to be at my current weight because I don't usually carry weight evenly and I feel as though I can move around the court better. I think that the heaviest that I have ever been was 195 lbs, with most of the weight being in the gut, love handles and chin.

I'm considering taking some sort of weight gainer to see if it would turn into muscle playing tennis. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know that most people who take weight gainer lift weights, but I'm not interested in any excercise that doesn't involve playing a sport, particularly tennis. If I were to do so would the weight all congregate in the same old places, or would it disperse evenly so that I could turn it into muscle? Although I know it isn't the same as lifting weights, I do a lot of repetition excercises hitting against the wall. My right shoulder, for example, has gotten pretty strong from repeatedly hitting overheads. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

chess9
07-23-2007, 04:19 PM
It depends. If you take in an additional 1,000 calories a day in the form of, say, Muscle Milk, then, yes, you will put on a lot of fat. But, if you lift two days a week, you will get much stronger and put on weight if you take some clean whey protein once or twice a day. I'd recommend either whey, soy, or egg protein if you cannot eat, say, two or three extra chicken breasts per day. Try low fat steak once or twice a week, and some fish at least twice per week.

Tennis is mostly aerobic work and anaerobic work. You will burn a lot of calories playing, but you won't put on the kind of muscle you need to prevent injuries, muscle imbalances, and the kind of look that makes girls turn the heads to check out your ***. :)

If you are serious about tennis, then you should lift, IMHO.

-Robert

Ano
07-23-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm 6'2" and I'm guessing that I weigh around 160 lbs although I don't have a scale to verify the accuracy of my estimate. I've played tennis daily for the past 2 years and until last september I had been working at a hotel where I ate fatty cafeteria food 5 days a week.

Since having started a new job I am now paying for my own meals, so I have been eating much more balanced healthy meals. I sweat a lot when I play tennis and I have gotten so skinny that none of my clothes fit as well as they once did. In many ways I prefer to be at my current weight because I don't usually carry weight evenly and I feel as though I can move around the court better. I think that the heaviest that I have ever been was 195 lbs, with most of the weight being in the gut, love handles and chin.

I'm considering taking some sort of weight gainer to see if it would turn into muscle playing tennis. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know that most people who take weight gainer lift weights, but I'm not interested in any excercise that doesn't involve playing a sport, particularly tennis. If I were to do so would the weight all congregate in the same old places, or would it disperse evenly so that I could turn it into muscle? Although I know it isn't the same as lifting weights, I do a lot of repetition excercises hitting against the wall. My right shoulder, for example, has gotten pretty strong from repeatedly hitting overheads. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

You can take every supplements and weight gainer in the world, but if you don't lift weight, all that you gain is fat, not muscle.

You have to lift weight. 30 minutes of weight training session done 3 times a week can give you some result.

So, go to the gym, and lift weight.!

SFrazeur
07-23-2007, 06:24 PM
You can try looking up the Charles Atlas method, Dynamic-tension, something or other, I think it is called.

-SF

dave333
07-23-2007, 06:36 PM
What about just pushups, chin ups, jump squats, jump lunges, etc? Just body weight.

rum02
07-28-2007, 10:08 PM
It depends. If you take in an additional 1,000 calories a day in the form of, say, Muscle Milk, then, yes, you will put on a lot of fat. But, if you lift two days a week, you will get much stronger and put on weight if you take some clean whey protein once or twice a day. I'd recommend either whey, soy, or egg protein if you cannot eat, say, two or three extra chicken breasts per day. Try low fat steak once or twice a week, and some fish at least twice per week.

Tennis is mostly aerobic work and anaerobic work. You will burn a lot of calories playing, but you won't put on the kind of muscle you need to prevent injuries, muscle imbalances, and the kind of look that makes girls turn the heads to check out your ***. :)

If you are serious about tennis, then you should lift, IMHO.

-Robert

what other type of work is there?

thundaga
07-29-2007, 12:03 AM
if you took protein powder and only played tennis, the only muscles that might grow would be the ones on your dominant side.

thundaga
07-29-2007, 12:06 AM
btw how do i put an avatar up, cant find where to do it.

CanadianChic
07-29-2007, 12:38 AM
btw how do i put an avatar up, cant find where to do it.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=147053&highlight=avatar

Only one of dozens of similar posts (the search function is your friend). ;)

chess9
07-29-2007, 11:28 AM
what other type of work is there?

Good point. I think I must have been trying to draw a distinction between forms of cardio and lifting. Lifting can be either aerobic or anaerobic, obviously. But, thanks for the knock on the head. ;)

-Robert

ubel
07-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Yes! For THREE easy payments of $25.99 YOU can get get as strong as
ARNOLD SCHWARZENNEGGER!
ARNOLD SCHWARZENNEGGER!
ARNOLD SCHWARZENNEGGER!

while doing absolutely NOTHING! It's so simple, I've been feeding my 6 month old baby these pills and he's already got a bite strong as MIKE TYSON!

For an extra 20 payments of only $9.99 you can also get my pills to give you a professional level tennis skills without even having to lift a RACQUET!@@$!~!@#

Order today, and you'll get a FREE sample of my latest pill:
THE DIZZY PILL
Guaranteed to make you dizzy and incoherent for over 48 hours!

ORDER TODAY!~!~~!
offer only valid in the lands of Middle Earth, only while supplies last, NO CODS!

EricW
07-29-2007, 03:38 PM
ARNOLD SCHWARZENNEGGER!
ARNOLD SCHWARZENNEGGER!
ARNOLD SCHWARZENNEGGER!

while doing absolutely NOTHING! It's so simple, I've been feeding my 6 month old baby these pills and he's already got a bite strong as MIKE TYSON!

For an extra 20 payments of only $9.99 you can also get my pills to give you a professional level tennis skills without even having to lift a RACQUET!@@$!~!@#

THE DIZZY PILL

ORDER TODAY!~!~~!
offer only valid in the lands of Middle Earth, only while supplies last, NO CODS!

HAHAHAHA that was hilarious

thundaga
07-29-2007, 04:04 PM
thanks canada

rum02
07-30-2007, 12:22 AM
Good point. I think I must have been trying to draw a distinction between forms of cardio and lifting. Lifting can be either aerobic or anaerobic, obviously. But, thanks for the knock on the head. ;)

-Robert

anytime. all this yr12 pe knowledge does have a use!

GuyClinch
07-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Well you could take steroids - and I suppose if you took enough of them you might be able to gain some muscle just by swinging a tennis racquet. i suggest you go to the gym instead though...<g>

Pete

Tofuspeedstar
07-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Gotta lift to grow.

AznHylite
07-31-2007, 06:59 PM
What about pushups?

Connelly
07-31-2007, 08:06 PM
cardio=muscle loss
tennis=cardio
tennis=muscle loss

lifting weights=muscle mass gains
not lifting=no muscle gains
muscle loss+no muscle gains=muscle loss

lol like how i put it?
start lifting dude it is quick and fun u will improve alot in first month.

Connelly
07-31-2007, 08:07 PM
pushps is lifting weights but u r the weight...as far as i know it increases muscle endurance but not muscle.

Andres
07-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Increaning muscle mass, improving muscle tone, or simply gain muscle and weight? All without lifting weights?

Well... without lifting weigths, I believe swimming is the best thing you can do. It did wonders to my body ;)

Punisha
07-31-2007, 08:26 PM
swimming is pretty much the best thing for your back in so far as exercise too

Phil
07-31-2007, 09:14 PM
Increaning muscle mass, improving muscle tone, or simply gain muscle and weight? All without lifting weights?

I believe swimming is the best thing you can do. It did wonders to my body ;)

Could've fooled me. I've got a broomstick that's packing more muscle than you are...:)

Andres
08-01-2007, 05:22 AM
Could've fooled me. I've got a broomstick that's packing more muscle than you are...:)
I'm 202 lbs. The OP is skinny, I am not! :p

You're just jealous because you're a fat *******, fat *******! :mrgreen:
Now move your fat *** and go get me a beer!

A Stella Artois or a Kilkenny won't hurt ;)

rum02
08-02-2007, 12:46 AM
cardio=muscle loss
tennis=cardio
tennis=muscle loss

lifting weights=muscle mass gains
not lifting=no muscle gains
muscle loss+no muscle gains=muscle loss

lol like how i put it?
start lifting dude it is quick and fun u will improve alot in first month.

not really, tennis is mainly anaerobic in nature, you won't loose muscle if you play a lot of tennis, but you won't gain too much either.

Hot Sauce
08-02-2007, 01:33 AM
I don't think you're going to get significant muscle gain from playing a sport. It can help you lose weight, as you've noticed, but lifting is the best way to get toned, and added muscle.

Ano
08-02-2007, 03:23 AM
swimming is pretty much the best thing for your back in so far as exercise too

I don't thinks so.

According to Charles Poliquin (one of the best strength coaches in the world), plenty of swimmers have a weak scapulae retractors.

Scapulae retraction, which involves pulling the shoulder blades back, is performed by such muscles as the rhomboids and trapezius.

These muscles are often weak in swimmers, or rather, relatively weak in comparison to their pectoral (chest) and anterior deltoid (front shoulder)muscles.

The result of this structural imbalance is a slumping, forward head posture that causes shoulder impingement, which can impair a swimmer’s performance in their sport, especially at the higher levels of competition

chess9
08-02-2007, 04:01 AM
I don't thinks so.

According to Charles Poliquin (one of the best strength coaches in the world), plenty of swimmers have a weak scapulae retractors.

Scapulae retraction, which involves pulling the shoulder blades back, is performed by such muscles as the rhomboids and trapezius.

These muscles are often weak in swimmers, or rather, relatively weak in comparison to their pectoral (chest) and anterior deltoid (front shoulder)muscles.

The result of this structural imbalance is a slumping, forward head posture that causes shoulder impingement, which can impair a swimmer’s performance in their sport, especially at the higher levels of competition

Yes, and until recently the lifting wasn't doing anything for their scapular deformity. If you looked at swimmers from the front, particularly freestylers, you'd see a nice build, but from the side you'd see the orthotic slump of a dowager. Breaststrokers have much less of it though.

-Robert

TennezSport
08-02-2007, 05:01 AM
Muscle can be gained by any resistance training, so it does not have to be weights. You could try resistance training with resistance bands, rubber tubing, or any machine works from Bowflex, Strive, Body Masters or Nautilus. But you have to do some resistance work to gain and shape muscle.

Good luck and have fun.

TennezSport :cool:

Phil
08-02-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm 202 lbs. The OP is skinny, I am not! :p

You're just jealous because you're a fat *******, fat *******! :mrgreen:
Now move your fat *** and go get me a beer!

A Stella Artois or a Kilkenny won't hurt ;)

Yeah, but most of that weight's in your head! You still owe me a beer...bring it! And not Stella Arp**s water either. Real beer. German or Czech, or a Negro Modello. I'm getting thirsty here...

stevekim8
08-02-2007, 07:03 PM
actually, you gain muscle everyday by doing things you do.
when you switch channel, you use finger muscle. when you walk, you use leg muscle, and when you pick your nose, you use your arm muscle

Ano
08-02-2007, 08:20 PM
actually, you gain muscle everyday by doing things you do.when you switch channel, you use finger muscle. when you walk, you use leg muscle, and when you pick your nose, you use your arm muscle

Yeah, right!! Perhaps it happens in your imaginary world. If gaining muscle were that easy, everyone in the street would look like a fitness model.

I wish building this kind of body were easy.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/835/img6202tw6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

But in REALITY, gaining muscle is difficult. It literally must be forced.

mona999
08-02-2007, 11:06 PM
of course u can. i lift weights and have crazy thunder thighs. from running sprinting and just being an athlete.

tricky
08-02-2007, 11:27 PM
I wish building this kind of body were easy.

That's because you don't understand how to use double HIT to gain muscle with prolonged contact. There's biceps; then there's jumppulse biceps. I'm not quite sure how the theory works, but I believe it has something to do with ball control, or controlling the balls. Ups testosterone or something.

To the OP, yes you can build muscle without lifting weights, much like you can learn languages without immersing yourself in a different culture. It is, however, more difficult to do it that way. You could use a cross-training regimen or something based on Crossfit style scheming -- this causes your body to constantly adapt to different stimuli. It's just that form of training isn't made for body building, per se. You'd get more dividends by hitting big four -- squats, deadlifts, row/pullups and dips/bench.

AmericanTemplar
08-07-2007, 01:23 PM
You can try looking up the Charles Atlas method, Dynamic-tension, something or other, I think it is called.

-SF

Does this program actually work? I looked it up, but I would like to hear about someone's experiences from someplace other than Charles Atlas's own site. Anyway, I started taking protein shakes and I've been doing pull-ups, sit-ups, push-ups, and a leg excercise (the name escapes me). As I said before, I would prefer not to have to join a gym and I don't have room for a weight bench at home. If I were to buy a couple of dumbells should I be able to work out the muscles that won't be covered by the previously mentioned excercises? Any other suggestions?

chess9
08-07-2007, 03:35 PM
That's because you don't understand how to use double HIT to gain muscle with prolonged contact. There's biceps; then there's jumppulse biceps. I'm not quite sure how the theory works, but I believe it has something to do with ball control, or controlling the balls. Ups testosterone or something.

To the OP, yes you can build muscle without lifting weights, much like you can learn languages without immersing yourself in a different culture. It is, however, more difficult to do it that way. You could use a cross-training regimen or something based on Crossfit style scheming -- this causes your body to constantly adapt to different stimuli. It's just that form of training isn't made for body building, per se. You'd get more dividends by hitting big four -- squats, deadlifts, row/pullups and dips/bench.

Bwuahahahahaha! Stop already! I'm dying here. LOL!

Well, I've learned how to become pregnant, so who wants to pack on any muscle when you can be a baby factory?

-Robert

tricky
08-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Chess9 -- buff, 60-something, and asexual. Truly Jumppulse is the fountain of youth! :D

chess9
08-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Our jumppulse friend has NO PULSE. You've heard of the quick and the dead? He's the latter. And all of that nonsense generated more posts than almost any other thread. In-FUSKING-credible.

Btw, I'm tri-sexual. I try, very hard. ;)

-Robert

Rickson
08-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Can I gain muscle without lifting weights?

You'd have to include your own bodyweight for calisthenics so the answer to your question is no. Sure, you can gain some quad development if you've lived a sedentary lifestyle by playing tennis, but if you're talking about serious muscle growth, staying away from weight training and by weight training I mean calisthenics and machines too, will not get you far as muscle development goes. Resistance training is the only way to gain noticeable muscles so hit those weights or at least do some pullups and dips.

Pleepers
08-07-2007, 09:13 PM
I like the Bruce Lee method -just hook youself up to some electrodes and let the good times roll! ;)

czech09
08-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah, but most of that weight's in your head! You still owe me a beer...bring it! And not Stella Arp**s water either. Real beer. German or Czech, or a Negro Modello. I'm getting thirsty here...

My kind of talk. If I may suggest, Pilsner Urquell. Bring me one while you're at it. :D

TennisandMusic
08-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Does this program actually work? I looked it up, but I would like to hear about someone's experiences from someplace other than Charles Atlas's own site. Anyway, I started taking protein shakes and I've been doing pull-ups, sit-ups, push-ups, and a leg excercise (the name escapes me). As I said before, I would prefer not to have to join a gym and I don't have room for a weight bench at home. If I were to buy a couple of dumbells should I be able to work out the muscles that won't be covered by the previously mentioned excercises? Any other suggestions?

I quit the gym and do solely bodyweight and full range isometric style exercises. I look better than I ever did lifting weights, I feel stronger, more athletic, and it's far better than sitting around a bunch of people that can't stop looking at themselves in the mirror. It's also, apparently, better for you long term. I have zero regrets and will likely never go back, and I was a gym rat for a decade or so.

You don't have to join a gym to be in great shape.

AmericanTemplar
08-08-2007, 11:14 AM
I quit the gym and do solely bodyweight and full range isometric style exercises. I look better than I ever did lifting weights, I feel stronger, more athletic, and it's far better than sitting around a bunch of people that can't stop looking at themselves in the mirror. It's also, apparently, better for you long term. I have zero regrets and will likely never go back, and I was a gym rat for a decade or so.

You don't have to join a gym to be in great shape.

Good to hear! So what are the exact exercises that you do? Are there any books or programs that you would reccomend?

CanadianChic
08-08-2007, 02:41 PM
What an interesting question to ponder...Can I gain muscle without lifting weights? Similar to the age old question...Can I lose weight without dieting (as I am sitting here eating my little tub of Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter Tracks ice cream. I do enjoy this forum. ;)

AmericanTemplar
08-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Just to give a little update, I have been taking whey protein and doing pull-ups, sit-ups, push-ups, crunches, grip stengthening, jump rope and a bunch of different things with resistence tubes. I have been alternating between different excersises on different days to give my muscles a little rest. It's only been a week-and-a-half and I have already noticed a little improvement in strength, but I haven't put on much weight--maybe a pound. Are there any more excercises that are worth doing? Keep in mind that I have no intention of joining a gym and I don't have enough room in my flat for most equipement, so right now I just have a pull-up bar and this "gym-in-a-bag" kit that I got for $13 at GNC:

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Fitness-Kit-Portable-Gym/dp/B0002EZFP4/ref=sr_1_75/002-4381300-7737603?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1187378987&sr=1-75

chess9
08-17-2007, 12:32 PM
If you aren't putting on weight, then you aren't eating enough. Try increasing your intake by about 30% for a week. :) Make sure it's balanced diet food. Protein, carbs, and some good fats. You can't build muscle without fats or carbs.

Since you are homebound you could try the P90x routines. You will find them for sale on ****. Sometimes you can pick up a used set for under $100. A chinup bar, some dummbells, and some bands will be just about all you need.

-Robert

Wits-Z
08-17-2007, 12:58 PM
What about just pushups, chin ups, jump squats, jump lunges, etc? Just body weight.

That's a start, but the body eventually plateaus and you either increase the resistance, or you stay where you are. Nothing wrong at all with any of the exercises you described -- just depends on your goals.

Wits-Z
08-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Well you could take steroids - and I suppose if you took enough of them you might be able to gain some muscle just by swinging a tennis racquet. i suggest you go to the gym instead though...<g>

Pete

nah.. roids just let you recover quicker and put in more work. in my opinion it wouldn't make much of a difference with respect to results from swinging a racket unless you are loading that sucker up big time with lead tape. :D

Wits-Z
08-17-2007, 01:14 PM
If you aren't putting on weight, then you aren't eating enough. Try increasing your intake by about 30% for a week. :) Make sure it's balanced diet food. Protein, carbs, and some good fats. You can't build muscle without fats or carbs.

Since you are homebound you could try the P90x routines. You will find them for sale on ****. Sometimes you can pick up a used set for under $100. A chinup bar, some dummbells, and some bands will be just about all you need.

-Robert

Correct. To gain muscle, you have to be ingesting more calories than you are burning. You just don't want the excess to be too great, or you'll put on fat. Make sure you spread those extra calories over about 6 meals per day. I'm currently not nearly as disciplined as I had been in the past, but when I was more consistent, I'd do some cardio in the morning, have a medium sized breakfast at about 7:00am; a snack around 9:30am; lunch around 12:00pm or so; a snack around 2:30pm; another "snack" around 5:30pm, exercise (lifting on those days, taking a walk, playing tennis, basketball or whatever) around 6:30; and have a modest dinner around 7:45 - 8:00pm.

Obviously, the meals have to be very reasonable so you can keep fueling your body during the day. Really made a difference in how I felt and the progress I made. I think its clear that nutrition and adequate rest are just as important as the work you put in. Good luck, and it sounds like you're on the right track. Just keep in mind that you WILL have to increase the resistance as time goes on, or you'll be stuck at the same spot.

I would recommend a nice set of adjustable dumbells for your home. Lots of exercises you can do from squats to cleans / rows to lat raises, etc. They are pretty space efficient and you can adjust the weight with one unit.

cj011
08-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Let your body determine what weight is comfortable. The problems arise when you get injured and are our for awhile with all that extra weight. it will turn to flab and then you have to deal with that mess. Keep your diet so you have enough calories to stay healthy. The goal is to have enough weight so you are at your strongest, but not lugging around extra weight so you slow down.

M1KE
08-25-2007, 11:25 AM
ARNOLD SCHWARZENNEGGER!
ARNOLD SCHWARZENNEGGER!
ARNOLD SCHWARZENNEGGER!

THE DIZZY PILL

ORDER TODAY!~!~~!

haha, that reminds me of a hilarious video on YouTube, PowerThirst

Marius_Hancu
08-25-2007, 12:49 PM
See:

Body weight strength workout!
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=31138

tdowlin2
08-27-2007, 06:04 PM
If you're looking to really add muscle mass (i.e. muscle neogenesis, not muscle hypertrophy) then no, you absolutely have to lift heavy weights in order to do it. There is a misconception about what builds muscle and what just develops existing muscle, and the fact is that muscle rarely undergoes cellular division (and only does so when under tremendous stress, i.e. lifting seriously heavy weights). Otherwise, all you are doing in any form of exercise is building up the muscle that is already there.