PDA

View Full Version : Shearing issues - Prince More Attack

Jerry Seinfeld
10-14-2004, 06:47 AM
Good morning!

I have a customer who uses Wilson Sensation 17 in a Prince More Attack. Just recently within 1.5 weeks she has sheared the string at two different points on the racquet. I know Prince had issues with the first generation of the no grommet racquets, but the More Attack is later with the rounded holes. Has anyone else experienced or had customers experience shearing with this racquet? Trying to determine if it is a racquet issue...a fluke of mishits...or perhaps a bad batch of string. Your feedback on this particular racquet will help.

Thanks.

Gaines Hillix
10-14-2004, 08:39 AM
I think they are more prone to this in the usual circumstances that can cause shearing on any racquet because there is no grommet to cushion the impact of a framed ball. Some More frames have been known to have rough spots in the string channels. I've heard of stringers using emory coated string to smooth these out. Also have heard of using tubing in the places where it seems to be happening the most. But if they are hitting the ball hard just inside the frame, especially at the tip, there is no way to guarantee the string won't shear, IMO.

Jerry Seinfeld
10-14-2004, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback. The interesting thing about this particular customer is she is a very light hitter, has hit the ball near frame twice in past week and sheared the string. I did smooth all the holes as best as a could with emery string last time around. I know that shearing sometimes just happens, but I have noticed that the grommetless frames tend to be more prone than those with grommets. Since she does hit lightly this has surprised me.

rich s
10-14-2004, 11:35 AM
try coating the holes in questions with clear nail polish.