PDA

View Full Version : Elbow Pain

phucng_10
07-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Well, today while I was practicing some serves and out of nowhere on the 15th or 16th serve, my elbow started hurting. It was like every time I tried to flex it, it would hurt a lot. Do you know the cause of this elbow pain? It feels like my bones are rubbing against each other or something, but I'm sure I don't have arthritis. :-?

drhopz
07-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Stiff strings or racket maybe? I got tennis elbow from serving with poly-gut.

phucng_10
07-23-2007, 10:09 PM
I think I have tennis elbow. Strings are Gosen 17g @ 60lbs. Stiffness on the racquet is only 60.

Bottle Rocket
07-23-2007, 11:29 PM
I think there are a lot of cases, probably the majority of elbow problems discussed on this website, which are NOT tennis elbow or golfers elbow. I think this is one of those cases. Obviously I'm not a doctor though, but way too many people claim all elbow pains to be tennis elbow.

It is hard to say exactly what it is, but there is one thing I can say for sure. Don't touch your racket for at least a weak. Do a search on this website about elbow problems and read about forearm, wrist, and elbow activities which can get the blood flowing. After the time off, you might try hitting a little bit to see how it feels. Seeing a doctor is highly recommended.

Did the pain start on a clean serve? Were you hitting them all clean? Did you mis-hit any or completely shank the ball? What kind of racket are you using? Have you ever had any coaching or instruction on your serve?

Does it still hurt now? Does it hurt when you hold your racket or squeeze the handle? Does it hurt when you swing? Does it only hurt when you contact the ball?

Hewitt Aussie
07-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Today i was playing. I only played for an hour, and when i got home, all the muscles around my elbow started hurting, and they still are. I have had the same racquet with the same strings for months now and i havent had any problems with it. But the last 3 days, the muscles around my elbow have started hurting. What is this? Is that what tennis elbow is, or is it just my muscles aching?

Marius_Hancu
07-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Today i was playing. I only played for an hour, and when i got home, all the muscles around my elbow started hurting, and they still are. I have had the same racquet with the same strings for months now and i havent had any problems with it. But the last 3 days, the muscles around my elbow have started hurting. What is this? Is that what tennis elbow is, or is it just my muscles aching?

Because it's a repetitive strain injury: the micro injuries accumulate in the tendons and explode at some time, when reaching a given threshold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury

Tennis elbow + your muscles aging (lack of exercise?) and transmitting too much to the tendons.

check my signature here:

Great fitness sites
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=15571

esp the Elbow and Wrist Pain sections

phucng_10
07-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I think there are a lot of cases, probably the majority of elbow problems discussed on this website, which are NOT tennis elbow or golfers elbow. I think this is one of those cases. Obviously I'm not a doctor though, but way too many people claim all elbow pains to be tennis elbow.

It is hard to say exactly what it is, but there is one thing I can say for sure. Don't touch your racket for at least a weak. Do a search on this website about elbow problems and read about forearm, wrist, and elbow activities which can get the blood flowing. After the time off, you might try hitting a little bit to see how it feels. Seeing a doctor is highly recommended.

Did the pain start on a clean serve? Were you hitting them all clean? Did you mis-hit any or completely shank the ball? What kind of racket are you using? Have you ever had any coaching or instruction on your serve?

Does it still hurt now? Does it hurt when you hold your racket or squeeze the handle? Does it hurt when you swing? Does it only hurt when you contact the ball?

Actually after a few frames it started hurting. I guess I was stretching my arm out way too much. Now that I'm feeling my arm, my forearm feels like I was playing tennis for like 6 hours. Dunlop 200g is the racquet I'm using, it's in my signature. Also, I never had any coaching on how to do my serve. I just watched a few of my Varsity friends form of serving and attempted it. Kind of a slice/flat serve was what I was doing. Could it be the racquet or just my form of serving?

ps60
07-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Practising serve (in dozens) asks for injuries like the Sun rises everyday.

But there can be many different kinds. In my experience, a framer can cause immediate swell of the inner forearm muscle. Poly string can cause Golf elbow easily. Wrist pronation can worsen a wrist injury. and swinging too hard (esp without a direct impact like flat serve) can cause tennis elbow. Too many options, better see a doctor ...

acer
09-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Practising serve (in dozens) asks for injuries like the Sun rises everyday.

But there can be many different kinds. In my experience, a framer can cause immediate swell of the inner forearm muscle. Poly string can cause Golf elbow easily. Wrist pronation can worsen a wrist injury. and swinging too hard (esp without a direct impact like flat serve) can cause tennis elbow. Too many options, better see a doctor ...

Good advice ps60. When I thought my tennis elbow was healed, I would go out and hit dozens of serves and my tennis elbow would flare up again. The only good thing about it was that I started to concentrate on my service technique as the source of my tennis elbow rather that just my one handed backhand alone.

phucng 10, I have noticed that going for too many kick serves can really irriate the elbow especially with a tight grip. I find that a lower toss can also irritate the elbow as you are making contact with a bent arm. So maybe once your arm is feeling better, check into your mechanics. Definately take time off as the condition will become chronic if you don't. That's what happened to me. Didn't take enough time off so it has stayed with me over the years.

Acer

courtrage
09-17-2007, 09:33 PM
invest in this book... 'healing back pain' by john sarno, MD...helped me with my back pain, achilles pain and knee pain.......i got the book on CD and listen in the car...his latest book is 6 CDs and this one is 3 and more to the point...

Harry24
03-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Stiff strings or racket maybe? I got tennis elbow from serving with poly-gut.

try using a multifilament with a low flex rated racquet, works great. I had golfer's elbow and it solved problem.(was using babolat AeroproDrive+w/outcortex) it has high flex rating awesome to hit with cause u can rip big forehands

Martingale
03-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Best to stop playing for a while, rather than further injure. And do check Marius' signature.

stormholloway
03-27-2008, 11:37 AM
How many countless threads are there on elbow pain...

3lowdown
03-31-2008, 08:32 AM
How many countless threads are there on elbow pain...

bout as many as there are posts of people whining about too many threads I suppose

Harry24
04-06-2008, 05:07 PM
bout as many as there are posts of people whining about too many threads I suppose
ahaha true:)