PDA

View Full Version : Crossfire 18 - what can I expect ?

10-14-2004, 08:41 AM
I have a set of Ashaway Crossfire (kevlar 18g mains with synthetic 16 crosses) to use. I've never used kevlar before either by itself or in a hybrid. I could put it in any of:
- Fischer VT98 Pro
- Dunlop MW200G 95
- Slazenger X1

1) Should I bother?
2) If yes, which stick would it play best in + what tension?
3) when the synthetic crosses break can I just have the crosses restrung or does the Kevlar have to go too?

Thanks.

Kick Serve
10-14-2004, 11:03 AM
If you're going to try kevlar then Ashaway is the one to try. It's way better than Prince Problend. I received a set of Crossfire 18 free from Ashaway after trying their Monogut. I strung up one of my Volkl Tour 10 MP's with it. I strung the kevlar mains at 52 lbs. and the synthetic crosses at 59 lbs. Here's what happened...

Spin, spin and more spin! There is just something about kevlar that enables you to impart an insane amount of spin. The 5.0 player I was hitting against said my forehands were jumping up like kick serves. Power is really low, but I usually overhit a lot so it actually helped me. The sound is unique as well - it's a deep canon-like thud that can be quite satisfying if you like to hit hard. Also, the Ashaway was surprisingly softer than I would expect a kevlar hybrid to be. But alas, after three days of hitting, my elbow started to get a little tender. This was surprising because the strings don't feel harsh at all. I've stopped using them for awhile, but I think I'll try them again in another week or so to see if it was the strings causing the tenderness. The strings show no wear or movement after the three hitting sessions. It's really durable stuff. I'll probably always keep one racquet strung with it just in case I find myself needing extra control and spin in a match.

Out of the three racquets you listed, I would suggest stringing the Dunlop 200G with Crossfire. It seems flexible enough to help cushion the stiffness of kevlar and the 18g mains will help open up the tight string pattern. Remember, don't string the kevlar too tight. It sort of starts out dead so it doesn't really lose much tension over time.

Be sure to post your results. I'm curious to see how your experience stacks up to mine.

10-14-2004, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the excellent feedback! I figured I'd try it in the most flexible of my 3 sticks (MW200G) and would benefit from awesome spin....but always wondered about the feel + my arm (have never had TE). I see on the package that the synthetic crosses are a double wrap with an anti-wear coating....makes sense given Kevlar mains.

I like crisp monofilaments in general so I may like Crossfire.

My set is also a free sample. Will post impressions after sufficient court time.

mgm
10-14-2004, 08:32 PM
I also received a free set of crossfire 18 ga. strung my mw 200g at 65 with 18 ga. prince syn gut duraflex in the cross.Nice stiff stringbed great spin and control with amazing sound.

ejwuf
10-15-2004, 02:30 PM
because of it's thinness, this is a very soft playing kevlar. low power, supurb comfort, great bite. durability isn't great -- this string breaks down very fast. freys too much. very muted and soft...not like your thicker kevlars

kreative
10-15-2004, 04:42 PM
when i used to play the mw200g, i liked ash crossfire 18 in it on days i felt i needed more spin.

moosryan
12-02-2004, 02:48 PM
how bad is kevlar hybrid for your arm?
also is a lm radical too stiff for a hybrid like crossfire?

moosryan
12-05-2004, 05:03 PM
(bumped)