PDA

View Full Version : Tonsils and nose/septum surgery

Salo
07-25-2007, 08:27 AM
So I'm getting my tonsils out (they're huge!), and a very deviated septum/broken nose fixed all at once. Anyone have any comments/horror stories/wisdom to share? Apparently, as an adult, the tonsil surgery isn't very pleasant, but with my new airways I'm hoping for new super-human endurance levels. :cool:

scotus
07-25-2007, 10:32 AM
I had it done when I was a kid.

The best thing I remember was being given lots of ice cream after the operation.

Of course, the real benefit of the surgery is that my tonsils don't swell up every time I get a cold or allergies.

There's nothing to be afraid of (unless you've got a newbie resident performing the operation), but don't expect great benefits in terms of endurance.

Best wishes.

ssblue
07-25-2007, 12:13 PM
I had the deviated septum surgery a few months ago. I was back on the court after 3 weeks. It's a routine surgery and once you get the splints taken out of your nose (about 1 week), the difference in breathing is noticable. It's so much easier to breath deeply through my nose when before the surgery, I could hardly do it at all. Definitely well worth it.

gmgpistons
07-25-2007, 01:03 PM
I had surgery twice for a deviated septum. A short time after the first surgery, my septum "collapsed" and became severely deviated again. After the second surgery, however, I have had no more problems and am very happy with the results. My breathing is so much better on the court, while doing conditioning, and especially while sleeping. I can sleep much better now that I can breathe through my nose rather than my mouth.

I remember being pretty miserable for about a week after the surgeries, as I had alot of packing material shoved up my nose. I was also pretty young at the time, so I think I would have more patience nowadays.

Long story short, I think you will be very happy that you had the surgery!

sdonnelly
07-25-2007, 11:53 PM
As you said you heard, the tonsils surgery is pretty bad afterwards. A friend of mine had his removed about two and a half weeks ago, and he is still having some trouble eating, swallowing, and even yawning. He's lost 25 pounds because he hasn't been able to eat, even drink, a lot recently, but it's getting better.

Of course, age has a lot to do with how fast we heal. He's my age, 19, so it takes longer than those kids who get them out in elementary school (is that even done anymore?)

Just be prepared to do a lot of liquids and a lot of soup.

Topaz
07-26-2007, 07:46 AM
I had my tonsils out in 6th grade, and it is pretty straightforward. My mom had her nose done, and as someone else mentioned, you have all that packing up your nose for a while, but you do heal pretty fast.

I can't give any advice as to how they would go together, but I think the estimation of 3 weeks is probably spot on.

heartman
07-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Use painkillers aggressively. God invented them to ease our pain - you may not find yourself in intense pain, but at a high level of discomfort and if you're like me, you'll be thankful for any/all help you can get from the painkillers.

In my 30's, I had two operations, at two different times. One, my deviated septum repaired and tissue taken from my sinuses, and the second, a uvulectomy. I had the dinger in the back of my throat removed - I like to joke I now have a straight pipe for a throat.

Manageable pain, but when I say aggressive use of painkillers, I mean it. You'll be out of it for a while anyway...might as well enjoy the ride...take this from someone who has travelled the road, brother.

And I agree with the previous poster, 2-3 weeks and you're out of the heavy stuff. First week is the most difficult by far.

ssblue
07-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Lol! That's right, the first week is pretty miserable. Your nose is worthless until you get the splints removed. I couldn't breath through my nose at all. I was supposed to wait a week before getting them taken out but I was so miserable, I begged the doctor to take them out sooner. I had some mild sleep apnea during the first week plus constently waking up with a desert dry mouth. Don't let that worry you though...it's definitely worth the torture. After 2-3 weeks, it's still difficult to blow your nose and forget wiggling it for at least 5-6 weeks but you can resume normal life after just a few days. I had the surgery on a friday morning and I was back to work on monday.

cghipp
07-26-2007, 01:29 PM
I am still recovering from tonsillectomy and sinus surgery about a month ago. I've been able to play some tennis (doubles) in the past couple of weeks, but I'm still not 100%. I have lost about ten pounds - more at one point, I think. I didn't think the throat pain was nearly as horrible as I expected, even though I was unable to take the pain meds for long because they left me nauseated. However I was constantly disgusted by the general climate of my mouth! The biggest side effect for me (and one I didn't know to expect) was that I lost most of my sense of taste and it has been extremely slow to return. That was kind of a blow since I love to cook, but it's not awful. Make sure you get plenty of fluids after the surgery, and try to get enough calories so that you don't get too weak.

About the timeline - I actually felt pretty good for the first couple of days after surgery. I probably felt the worst around 6-8 days, and for the second week I was miserable because I was so weak. After that it was mostly a matter of trying to get my strength back. I am trying to recover fully without gaining the weight back, so it's taking a little longer. But I am enjoying some delicious protein and fruit shakes!

Also, I think ssblue must be very much in the minority for recovery time! I can't imagine having gone back to work for at least a week, and two is better if possible. Especially since I couldn't drive when I was taking the meds!

Chauvalito
07-26-2007, 01:32 PM
The deviated septum surgery is called a Rhinoplasty.

I had it done during the summer before school started I think around 8th grade, thanks to my big sister breaking my nose when I was a much younger child.

The worst part is the packing, especially when they remove it, but I am sure the technique and expertise is better these days so you should be fine.

Be ready though, your going to be having two somewhat major sugeries in succession.

Follow the doctors directions, and you should be fine.

I still have trouble breathing out of my left nostril, basically I have to plug my right nostril for any air to come out of my left nostril. The improvment is still great compared to how I was breathing before the surgery, which was not well.

I will probably have the sugery redone in a few years when I have some hiatus from school and studying.