PDA

View Full Version : String notching

mattlikovich
03-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Hey guys,

I string my babolat PC + with Luxilon TIMO 17 at 60 lbs. Boy is it great at the beginning. But once it starts to notch, it seems like I lose lots of pop, power, and control. Is this the case with all strings? How long should the TIMO last? And is polyester string that doesn't notch?

Thanks,

Matt

Gaines Hillix
03-16-2004, 03:52 PM
The Lux strings do tend to have an initial break in period(TiMo and ALU anyway) and some people like the string better at that point, but others don't and want to cut it out. All polys notch. Most people think that's an advantage because the strings lock together where the notches form and this prevents string movement.

Jerry Seinfeld
03-17-2004, 04:32 AM
Gaines is dead on with his comments on Poly. I will simply add that all polys lose tension fairly quickly. This alters their playing characteristics. Not an issue for the pros who restring for each match, but for the weekend warrior who restrings a couple times per year, this is not the ideal scenario. Unfortunately I don'treally have any alternatives to suggest...you could try stringing a little tighter to compensate for tension loss, you could make sure your stringer prestretches the begeebees out of the string to reduce tension loss, you could also explore some lower cost poly and restring more frequently. Tension loss appears to be your main challenge rather than notching.

Good luck.

tarheelbornjohn
03-17-2004, 11:04 AM
I check the tension before every match I play with Lux ALU. They last so much longer for me I always worry after I have had them in for 5-7 matches. I have found that they keep their tension very well. I had hip surgery in January and did not play with two strung rackets from nov. thru feb and picked them up in March when I was getting ready to play again. In Nov they were at 54 lbs. and in March they were still at 54lbs.

mattlikovich
03-17-2004, 12:17 PM
how do you check the tension on them? where can i buy such a device?

tarheelbornjohn
03-18-2004, 06:28 AM
Here is a link for one of the tension meters. There are others like it but the work very well.

http://www.stringmeter.com/