PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid: Kevlar with Big Banger Alu Power?

djones
10-15-2004, 02:36 AM
For more spin, would this work out?
To put the kevlar strings in the mains and the Big Banger Alu Power in the crosses?

spinbalz
10-15-2004, 05:01 AM
more spin than what? You should simply try Ashaway Crossfire 18g, Ashaway Synth. gut works great as cross strings with Ashaway kevlar mains, Gosen OG JC 17g is also a good one to use as cross strings with Ashaway Kevlar 18g mains.

djones
10-15-2004, 06:37 AM
More spin than just the Big Banger Alu Power.
Unfortuantely the Ashaway crossfire is not available in the Netherlands.
And I do not want to experimant too much, that's why I keep the Big Banger Alu Power or one of it's imitations in the crosses.
Btw, at what tension should I string both strings up if I normally string 'm up at around 26 kilos?
Thanks

Kick Serve
10-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Kevlar produces a lot of spin, but it can be very harsh and underpowered if strung too tight. Definitely string the kevlar mains about 10 - 15% less than normal tension. Because kevlar starts out with very little resiliency, it doesn't really lose much tension. String the crosses at your normal tension. I would also suggest using a softer cross string to help balance out the stiffness of the kevlar.

brian.sat
10-15-2004, 11:58 AM
I have use this combination for a long time, and , most of my hard-hitting friends switch to it. Some may prefer different poly which they used to.

Spin is good, for sure. I strung the Alu 1-2 pound higher while others strung it even or 2 pounds lower.

Although it has a stiff feel, it won't kills your elbow. My elbow is quite sensitive and having no problem with it so far.

spinbalz
10-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Djones : string your cross strings at your usual tension, and strings the mains around 15% lower (+or- depending of your liking, the brand of Kevlar string you use, and gauge its gauge).

The problem with Luxilon or Poly strings when you hybrid with Kevlar is that you will then have a way smaller sweetspot than average, that is why it is better to use a softer cross string with kevlar mains.

Still possible to buy Ahsaway crossfire at Tennis-Warehouse, it does not cost so much, the price for a single set is around $7 and the pric for a 100 meters reel is around $65 and since the Euro/dollars balance is in your favour, so...

If you want to try the following hybrid, Crossfire II mains + Gosen JC micro 17g crosses, just Email me, I live in France and I'm sure that we can manage a trade ; something like that : I send you a sample string set (Crossfire 18+ JC micro 17g), and then you send me a string set like Luxilon BB Alu, or something close.