PDA

View Full Version : Luxilon Big Banger possible cause of wrist paint?

Exci
10-15-2004, 03:47 AM
As of recently I've been using a set of Big Banger Rough in my Babolat Pure Control Std. After hitting with it for a few times, I get this pain in my wrist everytime I strike the ball, no matter if I hit it clean or not. While a clean hit does result in a better feel for my wrist, it still hurts.

Prior to the Luxilon I had never experienced any sort of wrist pain at all. It's not strung too high, since it's strung at 24kg instead of my usual 27 (with poly's as well!). Off centre hits just kill my wrist though.

When I start playing, I don't feel that pain and it's exaggerated with new hard balls, so I was wondering if it's actually the string or the frame that's giving me problems? I think it's the string.

Any suggestions for a different string? Preferably one with good feel and spin and no natural gut, that's just too expensive for my likings. Anybody has any experience with the Isospeed Energetic string? (18L)

NoBadMojo
10-15-2004, 07:06 AM
yes very stiff strings like luxilon bb can indeed cause wrist pain. select any string that isnt poly or kevlar.

Rabbit
10-15-2004, 08:04 AM
An excellent choice for arm problems is natural gut. I also liked the Tecnifibre strings, NRG is a good choice as well.

Pro_Tour_630
10-15-2004, 08:44 AM
What did you expect from a string called rough? it is rough on your arm, seriously, if you absolutely must use rough, then try stringing proportionally,

fastdunn
10-15-2004, 11:06 AM
When I used Luxilon, it was indeed rough on my wrist although
it did not cause any serious injury.

Why don't you try hybriding with soft synthetic at cross ?
It eased pressure on my wrist and gave a bit more lively feel
in my case (although I now went back to a full muti's )...

Good luck..

BigboyDan
10-15-2004, 11:47 AM
Stop playing with pain!!!!!

Your technique can't handle the racquet - say hello to Andy Roddick. Quit being like your friends: buy a better racquet and use gut.

RickN
10-15-2004, 11:48 AM
I used to have wrist problems, regardless of strings but after wearing a wristband, I no longer have any problems even with poly strings.

brian.sat
10-15-2004, 01:06 PM
I got wrist pain with TiMo18 strung at 50lbs only. But feel good with Kevlar/Alu hybrid at 55-57 lbs.

finchy
10-15-2004, 03:31 PM
i got wrist pain from monogut 17g strung at 62 lbs.

Exci
10-16-2004, 12:29 AM
Stop playing with pain!!!!!

Your technique can't handle the racquet - say hello to Andy Roddick. Quit being like your friends: buy a better racquet and use gut.

It's not the racquet; I've been playing with my Pure Control for a year now and only since I've been using Luxilon, my wrist is suffering.

As for the other comments: thanks, I will take it into account. Í played with a kevlar hybrid before and even though it felt harsh, it didn't cause me any pain. And it was strung at 27kg!

Second thing is, when I started playing with the Luxilon, it all felt very soft and sweet, but now after only 9 hours, it's so harsh on my wrist.

In the past I've experienced wrist pain as well, but from a different racquet (strung with a multi @ 25kg and it was headlight, 360 grams and very flexible), but that kind of healed naturally. This just brings back old memories.. :roll:

Just a note: my wirst isn't injured just yet, but it won't take long this way.. :?

THE ANIMAL
10-16-2004, 02:59 AM
Change use Babolat pro hurricane its v similar but doesn’t mash you wrist or hand. Lux big basher just bashes your hand and wrist. In my case I have never had any problems but after 4 hours of v heavy use and returning v fast servs my hand started to hurt and it took me a month to get rid off the pain when I used it. The pain was always there during long periods or at warm up also found it to be way to powerful for my liking.

intense2b
10-16-2004, 03:48 AM
Gut is the obvious choice; however if you still want to play with Luxilon then try: Luxilon Ace 18 guage.

It is the only polyester that feels like you just sat in a cadillac. I also think it happens to play the best of any string on the face of the planet. It has one of the best ratings of any string ever used. I can't understand why it is not more popular. Everyone is always trying out Agassi's big banger ALU....which I think is absolutely insane. What the hell do we have in common with Andre Agassi? No one here hits like him so why the hell would you want his string.

The wasy to go his Luxilon Ace...best string in the world. Most stores don't even carry it because no one buys it (I buy it online from TW). Everyone always asks for big banger ALU. Ace is the best secret in the world....If you don't absolutely love this string I will send you a full refund...lol.

Exci
10-16-2004, 07:58 AM
Change use Babolat pro hurricane its v similar but doesn’t mash you wrist or hand. Lux big basher just bashes your hand and wrist. In my case I have never had any problems but after 4 hours of v heavy use and returning v fast servs my hand started to hurt and it took me a month to get rid off the pain when I used it. The pain was always there during long periods or at warm up also found it to be way to powerful for my liking.

That sounds exactly what happens to me! I don't consider it too powerful though, I have adequate spin to compensate it and I actually hit fewer balls long with this string, but it just tends to hurt.. :(

I think it's best for me to stay away from the poly's for a while and let my wrist heal for that matter.. if I can't, I'll have a look at the Pro Hurricane. Perhaps I can hybrid it with a soft synthetic, I'll have a look at that.

Thanks for the replies. As for you Intense2b: I can't imagine that Ace is that more flexible, but who knows. I'm not going to try though.

Kirschbaum is really soft to my arm, but the last time I strung it up its powerlevel was just way too high for me. I do have to say that it was the 1.20mm spikey..

Oh and as for gut: I won't be playing with that, it's just too expensive over here in the Netherlands. Cheapest gut you can get here costs you about 47 dollars for a package. And that's a Babolat Tonic.. On top of that, I play on gravel quite often and humidity is a real problem over here, so gut just won't last.

finchy
10-16-2004, 08:55 AM
Second thing is, when I started playing with the Luxilon, it all felt very soft and sweet, but now after only 9 hours, it's so harsh on my wrist.

i know exactly how you feel. thats how monogut felt the first time i played with it. i played with it fresh off the stringer and it felt awesome, very crisp. but gradually, i've started to lose control, and get pain in my wrist.

Pro_Tour_630
10-16-2004, 08:44 PM
intense2b, have you tried Pacific poly power 18g?

intense2b
10-16-2004, 08:48 PM

Michael,

No I have not...is it any good?

Flatspin
10-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Certainly playing with stiffer strings can lead to problems and very certainly aggrevate existing ones. Softer playing string which soften the impact of striking he ball certainly will lessen the chances of injury. However, many players are not effected and therefore it really depends on the individual. Personally I have not suffered injury or pain when I have played with polys. I currently do not use polys because I find little redeeming quailities in there playability.

Pro_Tour_630
10-16-2004, 09:22 PM
it blows Luxilon Ace 18g to shame, too bad, Tw carried it at one point, now you can only get it through pacific,

dp
10-17-2004, 07:41 PM
Big Banger has to be the most overrated string the TW sells. The only way I will use it is in a hybrid.

perfmode
10-17-2004, 07:53 PM
Big Banger has to be the most overrated string the TW sells. The only way I will use it is in a hybrid.

So overrated that half the pro's on tour use it.

If you look at a stringing log from a big tournament, you'll see that most of the strings used were luxilon big bangers.

intense2b
10-17-2004, 11:17 PM

No ....is it any good?

Exci
10-18-2004, 06:40 AM

So overrated that half the pro's on tour use it.

If you look at a stringing log from a big tournament, you'll see that most of the strings used were luxilon big bangers.

Fresh they play just fine, it's when they start wearing when my wirst begins to hurt..

As for Intense2b: read up, michael already answered you..