PDA

View Full Version : Any recourse for bad string job?

alleycat
10-15-2004, 07:49 AM
When I picked up my racquet from a local chain sports store, the string job felt like it was at about 54 lbs, when I had specifically requested 59 lbs. The young stringer wasn't there, so I just took the racquet and thought I must be wrong, only to get it home and find it was much looser than a racquet I had strung at 59 two months ago. Well I went ahead and played with it anyway last night and was spraying balls out all over the place. I also requested two piece, and he did it one piece(which I wasn't really concerned about). Do I have any recourse with this store /guy? Or did I just learn my lesson about not going to generic chain sports stores for string jobs? BTW I supplied my own string for the job.

Cruzer
10-15-2004, 08:46 AM
You could go back to the store and talk to the manager about another string job at no charge although it may not turn out any better than the one you already have. You may have a hard time convincing the manager that you deserve any compensation unless he is a tennis player and can appreciate your situation. I would go back and ask for a replacement set of string for the one you provided and then get the racquet strung by someone you have more confidence in.

10s99
10-15-2004, 10:28 AM
i'd have no problem taking the racket back. though stores don't always see it this way: you're actually helping them out b/c they may be loosing a lot of business b/c of bad stringing and not know about it. i have friends who own stores and they'd much rather hear about problems than not.

BigboyDan
10-15-2004, 10:42 AM
Forget 'em. Eat the cost and find another stringer.

a529612
10-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Did you pay with credit card? You may be able to dispute the charge for bad service.

alleycat
10-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. I think I will take it back and try to get another string job (I would hope he wouldn't screw up the tension again after I complain) or a new set of strings. I really hate to pay $20 labor for a tennis shop stringer, which seems to be the going rate around here; then again it would beat this hassle.

Steve Huff
10-15-2004, 02:48 PM
You said you were supplying the string. Well, the 1st thing I'd do is cut it into 2 pieces. Then, you'll know he'd do a 2-piece. Was the 59# on your previous racket strung at the same store? If so, I'd take them both in to help make your argument. If not, you've got to remember, "59" is a relative term. 5 stringers, 5 machines, you'll get 5 different tensions. That's why you stay with a stringer you like.

NoBadMojo
10-15-2004, 02:55 PM
like steve sez.....it could be the first 59 was actually too tight of a reference tension and the one this second guy did was more like 59. it's all relative. i think you do have a beef on not getting the two piece stringjob..that's a resonable request. i bet they will at least provide you the labour at no charge on the next stringjob. remember that a chain store, you could have more than one person doing the stringing and that could result in some serious tension differences. i would see if you can find out which person did the job for you, and if he does it again, ask him to string it at maybe 64?

David Pavlich
10-15-2004, 05:36 PM
While I agree that $20 labor is a bit steep (although this is more or less determined by the demographic area in which you reside) perhaps you would receive what you ask for if you went to a professional instead of some kid that's thinking about administering his next hickie instead of checking the tension setting or whether or not the clamps are slipping.

David

Steve Huff
10-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Most service-oriented businesses rely on word-of-mouth to maintain a steady group of clientele. Conversely, word-of-mouth can destroy the reputation of a business too. He should know this, and do what he can to correct the situaltion.

alleycat
10-18-2004, 08:42 AM
Steve, unfortunately I did have a good stinger in a sports shop across the street; but like so many retail outlets they are getting out of the tennis business; and while they still have a stringing machine on site jacked up their rate from $15 to $30, which I can only assume is an attempt to discourage stringing business while they liquidate their remaining racquets.

This was my first string job at this location; so as pointed out above I suppose the different tensions could be a function of different machines. Guess I'm destined to pay $20.

thanks for your insight.

norcal
10-18-2004, 11:03 AM
You may have a hard time convincing the manager that you deserve any compensation unless he is a tennis player and can appreciate your situation. Exactly. Several years back I bought a case of balls from BIG 5 (chain) and when I unpacked the cans two had lost their pressure. I took them back to exchange them and the manager kept trying to just give me the balls for half price. He couldn' t understand why these 'perfecltly good' shiny new balls were worthless.
When I finally convinced him why (I still don't think he believed me) a clerk asked me why anyone would buy a case of balls. "You must lose a lot of balls", she said.
And this was a sporting good store!

ChrisNC
10-18-2004, 11:18 AM
lol. I get that exact reaction almost everytime I buy balls from a chain sporting goods store.

mrwise
10-22-2004, 09:17 AM
I enjoyed reading your experiences with buying lots of tennis balls at one time. I have bought 6 cases before at the local Wal-mart after I ordered them. It was like pulling teeth to get them to order 6 cases for me. They have the cheapest price in the area that I can find. It is just a hassle of listening to the workers ask why I need to buy 6 cases of tennis balls.

Rick Streeter
10-26-2004, 07:33 AM
You think ordering 6 cases is hard try 38 cases. I order for our high school team and we use 38 cases each semester. Its h@%#$## getting Wal-Mart to order that many each semester. We tried it all at once one time-----disaster.

Rick Streeter

mrwise
10-26-2004, 08:46 AM
What in the world do you need 38 cases for? How many cans do you use for each match? I can't imagine having 38 cases for a team. Do you open up new balls for every practice? It sounds rather wastefull IMO if that is the case. I would rather use that money for something other than tennis balls. How do you ever use that many? Your school system must be rolling in the dough...

gmlasam
10-26-2004, 09:06 AM
Forget 'em. Eat the cost and find another stringer.Better yet, invest in on a basic stringer, about $99.00 to $150.00 and do the stringing yourself. I did just that years ago, and I have yet pay $$$$$ another stringer to do the job.