PDA

View Full Version : lower tension crosses= More Spin?

Jay Welvaert
02-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Hi, I have heard this before but I dont know if its true is it? If so why does it give it more spin?

Thanks, Jay

Hawaii 5.0
02-20-2004, 06:27 PM
When you restring a frame the weaving of the crosses increases the tension of the mains so by lowering the cross tension you are allowing the mains to move more and thus give more spin, but this type of tension splitting is common and although many experienced players do not do this I personally do not see the advantages to me and since my hybrid alot it's even harder.It works well for Yonex and other squarish frames since the differences in string length are greater.It's your mains that give you your spin anyway.I say if you can go and experiment with different tensions, but you could be opening up a can of worms and still not get a catch.

Gaines Hillix
02-20-2004, 07:02 PM
I think there are opposing forces involved in doing this. The stringbed will be able to stretch more and pocket the ball better, which some players feel is spin friendly, but there will also be more lateral string movement which will allow the ball to slide with the string, so it won't bite as quickly and power will also be lost. And who wants to be constantly adjusting their strings after every point?

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-20-2004, 10:58 PM
I do it with poly mains and synthetic crosses, mains 65, crosses 63. I like it cause it softens it up a little, and the crosses won't break as quickly. I guess it does let the mains move more, but I'm used to it so I'll leave it. I may actually go higher tensions too cause I love a stiff feel.

jasonmiller
02-22-2004, 02:25 AM
If you lower the cross strings by 2-5 lbs., it's not going to make a lot of difference on how much pressure is exerted on the mains by the crosses. 2-5 lbs. compared to the approximately 60 lbs. people string at is only 3-9 percent. Can you really tell 3-9 percent? Anyway, the way I see it, if the cross strings give more than the main strings, it allows the main strings to bite into the ball more, giving more spin. You probably won't be able to notice if you only string a couple pounds different, but maybe there will be a small difference. Another very slight advantage to string the crosses looser is that it helps even out the tension throughout the stringbed. Yeah, stringing the crosses tightens up the mains, but that's not going to account for how much shorter the crosses are. I just measured the crosses on my Dunlop 200g, and they're just over 9 inches. The mains, however, are a little over 12.5. My HPS 6.1 is almost identical. Anyway, that's a difference of 3.5 inches, which is over 1/3 of the length of the crosses. A 33%+ difference is pretty significant, and I doubt if the tightening of the mains when the crosses are strung makes up for that. Anyway, that's just the way I see it, and I might be wrong.

jasonmiller
02-22-2004, 02:26 AM
At the beginning of my last post, the 3-9 percent part was in reference to the effect on movement of the mains by the differing tension of the crosses. Just thought I'd clarify.

Hawaii 5.0
02-22-2004, 07:38 PM
If your breaking crosses it's becuase your pulling into or out of your shot and it's more a technique problem than a stringing problem.If you look most people and pro's break the mains because the way the head moves to the ball it should end up that the mains do a huge majority of the work rather than the crosses which shouldn't move.If you watch the pro's very few move their crosses and often only move their mains.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-22-2004, 10:06 PM
Hawaii, you really think that my stroke is the only reason I'm breaking my crosses?

I mean, I think it's more because it's a weak string at a higher tension, with mains moving and slicing into them because my western grip has big spin on all my shots. My friend with his western grip uses kevlar and synthetic, and he used to break crosses more too. I don't break all poly jobs really, maybe after a month or so, but I break all synthetic is like 2 weeks or less. Hybrid poly-synthetic lasts like 2- 3 weeks so far, but will go longer this time I can tell. I think it's more because the poly mains shred the synthetic crosses when they move with the spin of my shots, and eventually wear them down until they just snap on a regular forehand like they did last time.

jasonmiller
02-23-2004, 04:33 AM
PCMD, I completely agree with you. The syn. crosses will experience a lot more wear than poly. Also, multifilaments tend to break on the crosses fairly frequently, as I can account for from experience. I attribute that to the sawing action of the mains also.