PDA

View Full Version : Hernia Recoveries

WBF
07-27-2007, 03:55 AM
I have a slight bulge on my left abs. It hurts when I use my abs, and after matches in a big tournament this week, it hurt and was tender to the touch. The discomfort was actually there for at least a week before, I just never looked for a bulge. It's softer to the touch than my muscle on the other side. I'm guessing it's a Hernia, and I'm about to go get it checked out...

If it is, how long does it typically take to recover? Would I be fine just hitting (vs. serving/overheads, which is where it hurt the most this week)? Do all hernia's require surgery?

I've never had to take a trip to the hospital for anything other than checkups and immunizations, this is mildly obnoxious :(

WBF
07-27-2007, 03:58 AM
Oh! And most importantly, is there any other injury that might cause similar symptoms (discomfort in one spot when in use, tender after extended use, soft to the touch vs. muscle on the other side)??

topsltennis
07-27-2007, 04:31 AM
WBF- I may be facing the same problem- mine is on the lower right side. Mine is most noticeable when I sneeze and also hurts when I do any sort of sitting up like getting out of bed. It's starting to affect my mobility on the court as well.

From what I understand, not all hernias require surgery- the longer you wait the worse it can be. I need to get checked out asap as well.

WBF
07-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Uhg. Why don't they explain important things like "you need a primary care physician to see anyone within *weeks* at most places" in college? Absolutely farking ridiculous.

WildVolley
07-27-2007, 07:22 AM
It could be a hernia, so you should have it checked out. A strange bulge is usually the key sign that you have a hernia.

The good thing about hernia operations is that they are generally safe and not complex.

I had a hernia surgery on an inguinal hernia above my groin. There was an obvious bulge, so I directly referred myself to a surgeon (no insurance). I played tennis the month before the surgery, but it did slow my movement, though it wasn't exactly painful.

The recovery took a while in my case. The first week I did nothing much but walk around. I started hitting late in the second week and strained something, which scared me enough to take another week off from the tennis. Usually, you're looking at a 3-week recovery at a minimum.

WBF
07-27-2007, 08:43 AM
Uhg. This is incredibly annoying.

If it does turn out to be a hernia, is there anything you can do to prevent it from happening again?

topsltennis
07-27-2007, 10:57 AM
I just got back from the Dr. and it was confirmed to be a sports hernia- albeit a small one. However, due to the amount of tennis that I play, the Dr. has referred me to see a surgeon for consulation next Wednesday- he thinks it's 50/50 on if they will recommend me for surgery. My guess is that if I want to continue to play and not give it time to heal they will suggest surgery, but that's just a guess on my part. I had him glance at my wrist while I was there and he said it is obviously swollen. I am to resume icing and anti inflammatories and if that doesn't help he wants to see me in 2-3 weeks for xrays and possibly a steroid shot.

tennistim777
07-27-2007, 06:22 PM
I have a slight bulge on my left abs. It hurts when I use my abs, and after matches in a big tournament this week, it hurt and was tender to the touch. The discomfort was actually there for at least a week before, I just never looked for a bulge. It's softer to the touch than my muscle on the other side. I'm guessing it's a Hernia, and I'm about to go get it checked out...

If it is, how long does it typically take to recover? Would I be fine just hitting (vs. serving/overheads, which is where it hurt the most this week)? Do all hernia's require surgery?

I've never had to take a trip to the hospital for anything other than checkups and immunizations, this is mildly obnoxious :(

I'm going to see a surgeon for a follow up visit on Wednesday. During the first visit he said he didn't feel a hernia and that muscle pulls are very common in that area. He told me to take it easy for two weeks, take some ibuprofen, and if it wasn't better to come back to see him and he would send me for a CT scan. I called today to schedule my follow up visit. I don't have a noticeable bulge, but when I cough or sneeze I feel some bulging on the right side over the groin area. If I shout it also hurts in that area. I have some moderate swelling also. I believe from what I read on several websites is that a hernia it won't heal on it's own. Surgery is recommended. Both my father-in-law and brother-in-law both just had the "open type" surgery and took about one to two weeks of taking it easy after surgery for recovery time. There are also more advanced surgical techniques that are now available which lessens your recovery time. As always, the best advice is to go see a qualified physician to get an accurate assessment of your injury. Good luck, and keep us posted. Get well soon!!

WBF
07-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Apparently where I have it (right above the abs, an inch or so from the middle) would be very difficult for a hernia to happen (the pain is local to that spot, so it's not like there's a tear in the middle and intestines coming out to the left). Wheeee!!!!! 140/90 seemed a bit high though, perhaps the diet coke I drank earlier today???

topsltennis
07-30-2007, 10:35 AM
I go to see the sugreon Wednesday to see if he recommends surgery for mine. My guess, because I'm as active as I am is that he will suggest it..... we'll see

WBF
07-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Good luck with it, hopefully you can recover quick!

topsltennis
07-30-2007, 11:14 AM
thanks- I've never been under the knife so I'm a little nervous- my wrist is killing me the last couple of days as well- I will likely get it looked at again soon as well

topsltennis
08-01-2007, 08:23 AM
2 hours until I go to the surgeon to see if I need sugery. The good news is the past 2-3 days it is barely noticeable. I think it "popped" back into place for now; though it could easiley protrude again I think. I'll update after my visit.

topsltennis
08-01-2007, 12:28 PM
No surgery required- in fact, the surgeon didn't really feel anything. I had a feeling as good as it has felt the last couple of days that would be the result. It's weird; over the weekend it was really bothering me; then suddenly it's barely noticeable. It could still get worse and I'm supposed to go back to him if that happens.

tennistim777
08-02-2007, 03:47 PM
No surgery required- in fact, the surgeon didn't really feel anything. I had a feeling as good as it has felt the last couple of days that would be the result. It's weird; over the weekend it was really bothering me; then suddenly it's barely noticeable. It could still get worse and I'm supposed to go back to him if that happens.

Went to go my surgen Wednesday. I have a hernia. Having "open" type surgery Aug. 17th. I'll keep everyone posted. Take care.

WBF
08-06-2007, 04:45 PM
That's a long time!

I, being the supergenius that I am, took too many big first serves today. Wonderful! Now I need to wait all over again for the strain or pull or whatever it is to go away... Sort of annoying considering I may have a big tournament the 28th... Wheeee.

tennistim777
08-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Had my hernia surgery this past Friday. Man does this recovery suck. I've been watching as much tennis on TV as possible to take the edge off. The Donald Young match was really good. It's been a week now and I'm still sore and tender. Each day it gets a little better. I can't wait to get back on the treadmill and back on the courts. If there's one thing I've learned, it is to take it slow and easy. Everything in moderation. Tennis is a sport of a lifetime. It will be waiting for me when I'm ready. I'm looking forward to finishing my recovery while enjoying the US Open. Take care!!

topsltennis
08-24-2007, 09:27 AM
best of luck- mine is really strange- some days it's very sore and noticeable- some days i don't notice it at all- my surgeon just tells me to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse to get back with him.......

tennistim777
08-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Do you have a noticeable bulge during coughing or blowing your nose? My Dr. had me do a half sit up, then cough or blow nose, and then only could you feel my bulge. Also, when I would "shout out loud" I would feel a weird "twisting or bulging" feeling in my lower ab./groin area. There was a small amount of swelling in that general area, too. It was more of an uncomfortable feeling then an actual pain. The first time I went to see him he didn't feel anything either, he told me if it was still bothering me in two weeks to go back and see him. He has been a General Surgeon for over 25 years. Take care and hope this helps.

topsltennis
08-24-2007, 11:00 AM
No noticeable bulge, but when the pain it is worse when sitting up or sneezing.....my pain is in the lower right side and often extends down to the very upper part of my leg- kinda where the legs attaches to the abdomen

tennistim777
08-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Wow, sounds similar to mine, before the hernia appeared. Is the pain on your dominate side? Say your right side, if your right handed? I didn't feel a noticeable bulge for about two weeks after the initial symptoms started. When I coughed I felt like a "single" muscle or vein starting from my lower abdomen down toward my upper leg would strain. In my case, that pain/strain, turned into a twisting/bulging weird type of uncomfortable sensation on my dominate side. Hopefully, in your case, it's only a muscle strain. Could be a while for that to heal, too. Good thing you went to the Dr. Hope all goes well for you. Take care.