PDA

View Full Version : my hand hurts......bad

tsongafan68
07-27-2007, 09:26 PM
guys, I have never had this problem before, but im using an ntour 95 pre-strung which ive had for almost 2 months now and for some reason my hand has just begun hurting right in the middle of my palm and all the way across. im pretty sure its because when i hold the grip in my hand and i swing too hard like on my serve usually and i think it might be that the vibration is going all the way through the racquet and down into my hand. if this keeps up i might have to quit for a while. does anyone have any thoughts on why this is happening? im thinking that it might be these terrible strings i have in my racquet. they are pretty stiff. i appreciate any feedback. thanks.

kabob
07-28-2007, 05:15 AM
Switch to a softer multifilament string and use a vibration dampener. Also, the nTour is a pretty stiff racquet so if the two bits of advice I mentioned don't work, you might need to switch to something more flexible.

The Gorilla
07-28-2007, 09:28 AM
lower string tension

tsongafan68
07-28-2007, 11:32 AM
thanks for your feedback.

Slazenger
07-28-2007, 11:55 AM
slight pet peeve about american english.

It is 'my hand hurts badly' not 'my hand hurts bad'
bad is an adjective not an adverb.

Same goes for "I did good" No you didn't. You did well.

To OP hope your hand feels better. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

tsongafan68
07-28-2007, 12:41 PM
thanks for the correction slazenger

Burt Turkoglu
07-28-2007, 12:56 PM
I've been dealing with hand/wrist issues.....I did a couple of things that has seemed to have lessened the vibration of my racket.....first, I switched to full gut....2nd, I added a little lead at 3 & 9 on the outside of the frame....and thirdly (and this I noticed had the most omprovement), I popped off the butt cap of my racket and packed it as tight as I could with cotton....this added more weight than I thought it would and made my racket head light rather than head heavy (good for the hand and wrist)....also, I believe the cotton may diffuse the vibration some.....

cghipp
07-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Slazenger - I believe you are incorrect in the first instance. To say "My hand hurts badly" would indicate that your hand is not skilled in the art of hurting. Similarly, you wouldn't say "My hand feels well." Instead, you would say "My hand feels good."

Slazenger
07-28-2007, 04:57 PM
LOL! Wait are you serious?

cghipp
07-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Because I am too lazy to dig out my own copy of Fowler's right now:

http://grammar.qdnow.com/2007/01/26/bad-versus-badly.aspx

Slazenger
07-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Oh dear, you were actually serious.

Pls go and reread the article you posted.

'My hand hurts bad' is improper grammar.

Slazenger
07-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Because I am too lazy to dig out my own copy of Fowler's right now:

http://grammar.qdnow.com/2007/01/26/bad-versus-badly.aspx

For the benefit of others:

The sense verbs are sort of exceptions to this rule. i.e taste, look, smell, feel.

If you are using these verbs descriptively then you use 'bad' instead of 'badly'.
e.g I feel bad; you smell bad; their gazpacho tastes bad

If you are using these verbs actively, then you use 'badly'
e.g Since she burnt her tongue, she tastes badly
(while this is correct, it sounds awkward and proper grammar would have you use a more appropriate adverb, or reword the phrase).

As for other verbs (including hurt), you qualify them with an adverb.
In this case, 'badly'.

PS
For the sense verbs the same exceptions work for the adjective 'good' as opposed to the adverb 'well'.

cghipp
07-28-2007, 05:40 PM
For the benefit of others:
e.g Since she burnt her tongue, she tastes badly.Here I would say, "Since she burnt her tongue, she tastes terrible."

Just kidding!

Joeyg
07-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Hand hurts? See a doctor. I doubt there are many physicians on the boards.

cghipp
07-28-2007, 05:47 PM
I still disagree. I believe "hurt" is more of an expression of a sense than it is an active verb. In this use it is a way of feeling, not something that you can DO, such as "play" or "type." Unlike hurting someone, which would require a different treatment.

So, did this kid ever find something to help his arm?

cghipp
07-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Okay, I concede defeat on this point. I'll post the reason in just a sec (have to find it again).

Here it is. It appears that "descriptively" vs. "passively" may be beside the point. Apparently "bad" is only used after the linking verbs "feel," "is," "seems," "looks," or "appears." That should be easier to remember. So if you say "I played badly," you are describing how well you (didn't) play, but if you say "I hurt badly" you are describing how MUCH you hurt, and not how well.

Slazenger
07-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Um it's not up to you to disagree. Those are the rules of grammar. I didn't just make it up.
That's almost like saying 'I disagree 2+2=4; I feel it should be 5'
Ok so it's not an exact comparison but you get my point.

Anyway, this is my last post. Back to hand hurting.

SORRY FOR HIJACKING YOUR POST TsongaFan. I'm a Tsonga fan too. Thought he was going to give fellow Frenchie Gasquet a tougher match at Wimbly.

cghipp
07-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Yes, because we all know the rules of English usage are absolutely set in stone. Give me a break! You really know how to turn a simple disagreement into an ugly one with your snide comments.

Slazenger
07-28-2007, 06:19 PM
I apologise. I wasn't trying to be snide.

tsongafan68
07-29-2007, 11:51 AM
well this is strange. my hand still hurts but just last night the tip of my ring finger started tingling and its still tingling right now.

cghipp
07-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Do you happen to spend a lot of time on the computer? Does the "meaty" part of your thumb also hurt?

tsongafan68
07-30-2007, 10:57 PM
well i spend probably about 2 hours a day on the computer overall, and ill probably be playing a lot more when age of conan comes out lol. but i really dont think that being on the computer is causing the pain, im pretty sure its from tennis.

Marius_Hancu
07-31-2007, 03:23 AM
well i spend probably about 2 hours a day on the computer overall, and ill probably be playing a lot more when age of conan comes out lol. but i really dont think that being on the computer is causing the pain, im pretty sure its from tennis.

It's definitely a combination. Handle the mouse left-handed.

three eights
08-02-2007, 02:15 PM
cghipp, i'm with you. Plus don't forget he made a comment about "American" English, excluding himself from the crowd thus may be of British decent with somewhat different grammar rules?!

PimpMyGame
08-02-2007, 02:35 PM
three eights, did you mean descent?

Only kidding, lol

denty151
08-02-2007, 03:46 PM
well this is strange. my hand still hurts but just last night the tip of my ring finger started tingling and its still tingling right now.

Did you leave your racket setup as is or did you change some stuff?
my advice would be R.I.C.E.: Rest. Ice. Compress. Elevate. Taking
a few days off from playing tennis would not be a bad idea either.
Like the other posters said, you should try a softer string, maybe a
softer replacement grip, a vibration dampener, or lower string tension.
If worse comes to worst you could switch to a more flexible racket.

In my personal experience, I took a month off tennis because of
chronic tendonitis a few years back. Now I have absolutely no pain
at all.

Hope this helps and brings the post back on subject. ;)

denty