PDA

View Full Version : TWSTAFF: Yonex Strings?

TopSpinner
10-15-2004, 06:51 PM
Are there any plans to carry Yonex strings at Tennis Warehouse in the near future? I'd like to try some of their string.

Does anyone have any feedback on these Yonex strings?
- ATG-850P
- TG-80SPN

Thanks.

rocky b
10-16-2004, 05:32 AM
How many months is TW saying they will carry yonex strings. Forget it they have lost alot of business because thats all I use. 850 great string so is the 880 soft.

Jerry Seinfeld
10-16-2004, 09:08 AM
I have recently become a huge fan of the Yonex strings. The 850, 850pro and 880 are all terrific to hit with. Plush feel and somewhat unique. Currently the 850 and 880ti are my favorites with a light edge going to the 850.

TopSpinner
10-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Where do you guys get these strings? I like to try some. You can email me at shinsoft@hotmail.com with the information. Please put Yonex Strings in the subject.

Thank you,

rocky b
10-16-2004, 06:47 PM
Jerry tell me the difference you feel from the 880 to the 850 (not the power spin) thanks for the feedback. I love the Yonex string like you I always used laserfibre untill I hit with the 880

Jerry Seinfeld
10-17-2004, 05:09 AM
rocky b - -

My discovery of the Yonex strings was mostly a fluke. When I/my customers started having issues with Phenom shearing I went on the search for a soft multi that I could suggest to my Phenom customers until the Phenom could be reformulated. The reformulation of Phenom is moving forward and it looks promising for it to be back and better than ever by the end of the year. Like most LF strings it is a big seller once customers begin using them. But that's another topic for another day.

I first hit with the 850 Super. What a pleasant surprise! This string felt better and held tension much better than I anticipated. I was hoping it would hit well, and it surpassed my expectation. It has a unique feel that I can not find the words to describe. By multi standards it is on the soft side, but clearly not to the extreme that I consider "mushy." Because it is so unique I now call the feel "Yonex feel" as there is no other adequate way to describe. Durability was good as I did not break the string during my 6 week playtest. (Note I rotate racquets for playtesting purposes and I am not a chronic stringbreaker) The playability held and I was not looking forward to cutting it out to demo another string.

I have recently (about 3 weeks) strung one of my racquets with the Yonex 880ti. It also knocked my socks off. It has the same unique feel as the 850 Super only softer...but not mushy. The tension does not hold quite as well, but after three weeks I haven't suffered much loss in terms of playability. What I noticed about this string is that it is more powerful than the 850 and my elbow that has been irritated from all the poly I have also been playtesting was much relieved to have this string in my stick. The question is durability. I am not a string breaker, but the supplier I purchased it from indicated that durability was an issue.

As for my customers...the 850 super users have also had a favorable response. The Phenom crowd likes the strings and about 33% that I have spoken with are ready to switch full-time. The rest remain loyal to Phenom. I have had no complaints but have only been using the string for 2 months. To date no customer has come back for a restringing so I don't know if they will choose the same string again. I only know what they have told me when I have seen them and asked them how it was playing.

The 880ti was a string that I started using later than the 850 Super for my customers. I was afraid of durability and since I hadn't playtested myself, was hesitant to recommend. I did acquire two new customers (women) who were suffering from elbow pain. These ladies described their games as fairly flat hitting relying more on placement and touch than power and I did use this string in their racquets. Note that I also strung it using a proportional stringing technique. So far, so good. I always place follow-up calls to my customers who report elbow/arm pain to see how the proportional stringing is working for them. So far it's been about 6 weeks for one customer and 4 for another and they are both finding the string and proportional stringing to make a difference for them. I have another customer who has the 880ti without proportional stringing and she has said she will use the string again. She is a Wilson Sensation convert. To date I am the only male out of myself and customers who has playtested the string. Next step is to string it up in a stick with someone who breaks string more frequently to see how it holds up.

That's a quick (or long...depending on your perspective) summary of my experience with the 850 super and 880ti. Up next is the 850 pro that I have used for two customers and have only hit with for approx 30 minutes myself. To date the feedback I have received for the 850pro isn't as good as the other two...which is surprising because the feedback I have read on the boards tends to be very favorable toward the pro...go figure. This is why I playtest and solicit feedback from my customers.

rocky b
10-17-2004, 03:52 PM
Jerry thanks for the feedback I love the 880 have you heard of an 850 soft ?

alleycat
10-18-2004, 08:29 AM
I just received my set of 850 Tour Pro from TW; someone had stated in an earlier post that you can do a search for 850 and get to that link; not sure why they dont show it in "string brands" or if there is any other type of yonex string available from TW. I havent tried any others but the 850 Tour Pro aka Spin, is a somewhat crisp multi which holds tension well, doesn't move around much and has great feel. I suspect it is not as powerful as the regular 850 which Jerry S. seems to really like. Its my new string of choice.

BreakPoint
10-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Jerry thanks for the feedback I love the 880 have you heard of an 850 soft ?

I used the Yonex Super 850 SOFT for several years when I used a stiffer Head Ti racquet. Without doubt, it is the BEST string I have ever used. Particularly good in stiffer racquets to make them less harsh. Just as good or better than gut in my opinion.

I discovered the string when I demo-ed the Head Ti Fire Tour Edition several years ago. I loved the playability so much I bought two. However, the strange thing is, although the demo had 850 Soft in it, the pro shop told me that they don't carry Yonex strings (perhaps a previous customer restrung the demo?). So they talked me into getting the most expensive multi they had at the time which was Wilson Sensation NXT (supposedly the highest rated syn. gut of all time up to that point). I tried it and HATED the racquet that I bought. I couldn't believe the degradation in playablity between the demo and what I bought. I figured it had to be the strings. They felt way too mushy. I cut out the NXT after a half hour and ordered some Yonex Super 850 Soft over the Internet (TW competitor) and everything was great again. I've never looked back. By far the best string for that racquet. Durability probably average for a multi.

fastdunn
10-18-2004, 01:09 PM
I think I understand Jerry's rave over Yonex 850 and I basically
agree with his review on the 850. Yonex sent me a free 850 when
they replaced my old MP-1 and really liked it.
Only reason I did not switch was that they only make 16 gauge....

Tennis Guy
10-18-2004, 03:19 PM
You can get Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro Spin 16 here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/searchresults.html?search=products&searchtext=Yone x+string

ChrisNC
10-19-2004, 04:46 AM
"A durable badminton string with a multifilament core protected by a braided wrap and durable coating"

Badminton?

Veritas
10-21-2004, 05:07 PM
How is this string compared to Laser Fibre Supreme?

TW Staff
10-22-2004, 10:07 AM
We actually have the Yonex Tour 850 Spin string in now. I will follow up with our buyer regarding the Soft 850 string.
Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro Spin 16 White String 8.95
Info at: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=Y85016

Chris, TW.