PDA

View Full Version : Spin string?

Anonymous
10-16-2004, 01:40 AM
I am thinking of using the Dunlop HM200G after demoing it. However, the only thing I found with this racquet was difficaulty generating enough spin, due to the weight and dense string pattern. Is there any recommendations you guys have for better spin with certain string/tensions? I want to lower tension for a little more penetration on groundies...otherwise i'll have to go with the Slazenger X1, which is great but has a little less punch.

intense2b
10-16-2004, 03:05 AM
I am thinking of using the Dunlop HM200G after demoing it. However, the only thing I found with this racquet was difficaulty generating enough spin, due to the weight and dense string pattern. Is there any recommendations you guys have for better spin with certain string/tensions? I want to lower tension for a little more penetration on groundies...otherwise i'll have to go with the Slazenger X1, which is great but has a little less punch.

The racquet does not have all that much affect on spin but the strings absolutely do. The tension and the guage are the most important factors.

1. Tension . The looser the strings the more spin and the less control. Therefore since you already have a dense string pattern for control, I do not see why you do not simply lower the tension. I play at 53 pounds.

2. Guage. This is a very difficult question. Even the experts cannot agree with this one. The theory had always been that the thinner the string the more it "bites" at the ball and therefore creates more spin. However , recently many experts now believe that the opposite.... thicker the guage = more spin. In a recent Tennis magazine article Jay scwebber says that the thicker guage creates more spin because there is more material to grab the ball...he cites correjta as switching to a 16 guage for this reason. However, Roman of RPNY tennis , formerly of Jay Swebber feels the old school is still correct. He says that this new theory is a bunch of BS and that theories are always changing. He says in the 70's the popular thought was that the tighter the strings the more power and spin you get...however he always knew that was false and sure enough many years later everyone now believes looser strings= more spin & power.

Exci
10-16-2004, 07:18 AM
He says in the 70's the popular thought was that the tighter the strings the more power and spin you get...however he always knew that was false and sure enough many years later everyone now believes looser strings= more spin & power.

That doesn't mean he can't be wrong this time. :)
Looser strings sure get more power, but more spin? I doubt that. Maybe you're right, but think of it this way:

higher tension = less power
less power = less chance to hit long
less change to hit long = more confidence to hit out
more confidence to hit out = (leads to) more racquet speed
more racquet speed = more spin

higher tension = more spin

That would be the second scenario and I've seen it stated quite a few times on this board as well. Lately everybody is suddenly onto lowering tension for spin.

"Lower tension = less control + more spin"

The less control constrides with the more spin in my opinion. Spin results in control, thus more spin results in more control. Spin is essential for control, so if spin increases relatively as much as control decreases, their relation should be negative, which is in fact false.

Ah well, so much for the theories. On the court I have been able to generate spin with either string and come to think of it, I was able to generate more spin with a 16L Luxilon than with an 18L Kirschbaum.

But to answer your question: get some string with a rough profile. It should enhance your spin, but only for a while, since the rough surface wears of very quickly in general..

Anonymous
10-16-2004, 08:59 AM
I am thinking of going with the Slazenger as I can generate more head speed with the same effort on groundstrokes. This equals more spin, so I can lower the tension to get more power. Along with this and the open string pattern, I should have a good balance. If I am struggling to generate enough head speed to get good spin from the Dunlop, it means my technique is often on the edge of breaking down. I'd prefer to hit with a little less 'direct' power and have the spin to bring the ball in deep. Any suggestions for a reasonably powerful, comfortable string that I can use at 50-55lbs? I was thinking along the lines of natural gut...

Gaines Hillix
10-16-2004, 11:31 AM
My favorite spin string is Lux ALU Power 16L. The Rough version is even better for spin, but for only a few sets or until the coating rubs off. But, even this in a 18X20 is going to be hard to produce spin with unless you use good racquet head speed and a semi or full western grip.

K. Wilson Moose
10-16-2004, 04:22 PM
I think the X1 is a perfect candidate for a natural gut hybrid.