PDA

View Full Version : How to Strengthening the Non-Dominant Side?

summer
07-30-2007, 07:39 AM
What types of exercises are best for strengthening the non-balanced side. I think part of the reason my backhand sucks is I just don't have the same footwork and strength or reach on my my non-dominant side. I am also trying to practice my two hand backhand by trying to hit a left forehand against a wall, but boy was my wrist sore after doing that even for a little bit.

Does this entail possibly doing everything on alternating sides (i.e one legged stuff) or doing more reps. Even in spinning class, I think I concentrate on always using my right leg first and I also think this might help with my balance. Any advice?

xtremerunnerars
07-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Just lift normal weight and the other side (by non balanced I assume you mean non dominant) will catch up eventually. No sense making one side of your body wait to get stronger just because the other side isn't up to speed.

That sounds like a good way to get a muscle imbalance which leads to injuries in other places in the body. On top of that, It might not be a strength issue but more of a coordination issue. You probably aren't used to using that side so change up your day a little and let that side do more things.

Small stuff at first like eating cereal, brushing your teeth, using the computer mouse (control panel>mouse>left handed), etc.

bluestreak711
09-19-2007, 09:40 PM
hhhmmm i have a good idea but it might be easy for you

convert yourself to be lefthanded as best as you can
when your bored and have nothing to do doodle with your left hand

search google for things like

how to write

neater hand writing

and just try to write left handed and keep at it
lift weights with that side

trust me i know it is extremely frustrating but here am i 19 months later
and playing tennis left handed writing left handed

it has really helped me

Coaching
09-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Try this, find a some weights that you can easily find from you local stores. Attached the weight (I used plastic tie wraps) in the middle of the strings using the tie wraps and now you have 5lbs and 12 oz racket in your left hand. Swing that loaded racket using your left hand about 3-4 times a day for 5 mins. Give it about 2 weeks and I can guarantee you, your 2 handed backhand will improve 10 folds.

That works for me and my 2 handed backhand improved so much.

Sleepstream
09-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Workout using dumbbells. Use only a weight that your weaker side can handle. Never do more reps with the stronger side.

thundaga
09-24-2007, 05:57 PM
yeah when using dumbells i just use the same weight for both arms. the next day my left side is usually twice as sore as my right, my arms have evened up a fair bit since the start of the year.