PDA

View Full Version : How to cut out strings.

ibemadskillzz
10-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Does anyone have the link to the past/old post with pictures on how to cut strings out of the racquet. I can't find it.

skuludo
10-16-2004, 06:58 PM
My Cutco super shears could cut the strings out of a racket. There is no technique required. Just use those scissors and cut the mains and crosses like paper.
Then I yank all the strings out of the racket. The scissors can also cut the knots on the racket. Thats another way to remove it. First cut all the tied off knots and start removing the strings.

perfmode
10-16-2004, 07:06 PM
Umm, why can't you do it with regular scissors?

Power Game
10-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Cut diagonally from the middle out

MChong
10-16-2004, 09:35 PM
Yeah, you want to do what Power Game said, cut from the middle and go out diagonally as to keep the stress on the frame relatively even.

drop shot
10-16-2004, 10:55 PM
Or you could hit rocks with it till all the strings break LOL
:lol:

Gaines Hillix
10-17-2004, 06:42 AM
Start in the middle and cut one main and one cross together. Then cut the next pair up from it on a diagonal line toward the upper left side of the frame. Then do the same thing toward the lower right side. Alternate until you get as close to the frame as you can. Then cut one main and one cross starting on the left side and go around the frame until they are all cut. A regular pair of scissors is not the way to go, but you don't need expensive sheers. I use kitchen sheers that I bought for a couple of bucks at an off price store. You just need a pair that have blades that are narrow enough to fit between the strings.

Steve Huff
10-17-2004, 08:28 AM
I use a pair of toenail clippers (used only on tennis strings of course). I start with the center 2 mains, then a center cross and work outward. You really don't need to work diagonally unless you start in one corner and cut diagonally toward the other. This was a method used frequently when stringers used box cutters to cut out the strings. Most stringers I know use some type of clippers now.

RedGinseng
10-17-2004, 09:25 AM
I found it
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/viewtopic.php?t=15827&highlight=cut+strings
I learn something new everyday. Thanks :D

skuludo
10-17-2004, 08:52 PM
My regular scissors will suffer some damage because I often use it to cut poly strings. The Cutco scissors don't rely on its sharpness to cut. In fact its really blunt and that doesn't just include the tip, but also the cutting area. The reason why it cuts so well is because of the strength of the metal. I tried to cut a Canadian penny with it and the penny got shreaded. I didn't cut the American penny because I'm not sure if its legal doing that in Canada or in the US. However it is ok to cut the Canadian penny in Canada.

I guess a pear of rachet pruners, pliers, serated edge knife, or butcher knife would work too. I've used pliers and a serated edge knife to cut kevlar before I had a pair of Cutco Super Shears.

ShooterMcMarco
10-17-2004, 09:45 PM
my dad's gardening tool works great to cut out strings. it's shape is like the beak of a bird, so it fits right in, and they're very strong

Marc C.
10-19-2004, 02:02 PM
I tried to cut a Canadian penny with it and the penny got shreaded. I didn't cut the American penny because I'm not sure if its legal doing that in Canada or in the US

Are you kidding me? It's your money, why couldn't you cut it. Besides, unless you have police patrolling your living room, how could you get in trouble for this?