PDA

View Full Version : new stringer

owningtennis
10-16-2004, 11:44 PM
im a new stringer and i've taken over from the old tennis stringer position from a senior that graduated.. im on the high school tennis team.. he charged 10 bucks a string job which included string... i do want to charge more but will people not come to me if they are used to 10 bucks and will i look like a jerk trying to be greedy with no competition?

Smashlob
10-17-2004, 04:33 AM
Go for 15, it is a reasonable amount. And it is not that much higher that the other people will think that you are lazy.

Gaines Hillix
10-17-2004, 06:35 AM
owningtennis, who is providing the machine and string? If your school is providing the machine and the players provide their own string, $10 is reasonable. However, if you are providing the string, then add it's cost to the $10 stringing charge. If you are also providing the machine, then you should add another $2-3, IMO.

Jerry Seinfeld
10-17-2004, 07:44 AM
If you are new to stringing and you will essentially be learning the trade on your teammates racquets, then $10.00 for a basic synthetic gut and labor is probably fair, IMO. As new stringers gain more experience and proficiency they can then look to increase the price charged per racquet. As Gaines points out, there are also other variables to consider. Good luck to you!

Marc C.
10-18-2004, 02:41 AM
I string for my high school team and take about 12 dollars profit. For example gamma synthetic gut is 3.75, so I charge 15. TNT is 10.50, so I charge 23. Most kids parents pay for stringing, so it is not that big a deal for them. The parents are saving money compared to 32 bux for synthetic gut at a pro shop.