PDA

View Full Version : synthetic material vs. leather........

tnkGod4tns
07-31-2007, 08:20 AM
pros and cons, what do you guys mostly prefer? Thanks.

ProStaff Legend
07-31-2007, 08:55 AM
wrong section?

heres a link: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=62687 ;)

Nuke
07-31-2007, 09:11 AM
Right section, I think. He's asking about shoes, not grips.

tnkGod4tns
07-31-2007, 11:24 AM
sorry about the misunderstanding, i'm talking about shoes.

Milano
07-31-2007, 11:35 AM
I like leather shoes. It is more durable, but the synthetic is probably more breathable, lighter, etc. Leather feels better too and looks better on the outside, though for performance synthetic materials will probably work better.

aidenous
07-31-2007, 11:38 AM
The more leather the shoe has the better it feels to me. I find the synthetic material especially in the tonguearea uncomfortable.

WildVolley
07-31-2007, 02:06 PM
I prefer leather, but not all leather is equal. Depending on the type of leather and the type of tanning, it can stretch more than others. Too much stretching means instability.

In my experience, the synthetic material isn't as breathable or flexible. The synthetic uppers can work well if there are plenty of holes for sweat to evaporate out of, and the material is not too stiff over a place where it will rub on my foot.

The current Head shoes I'm wearing are synthetic and work fine except, they could be more perforated.

Gmedlo
07-31-2007, 02:29 PM
IMO, leather is inferior to most synthetic materials nowaday (at least in shoes) in all sports but soccer. You aren't kicking the tennis ball, so why would you want a thicker, less breathable material in your shoes? Synthetics can also be made to give more support than leather, if need be.

ProStaff Legend
08-01-2007, 05:46 PM
wrong section?

heres a link: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=62687 ;)

oops, my bad. sorry tnkgod

croatian sensation
08-02-2007, 06:23 AM
IMO, leather is inferior to most synthetic materials nowaday (at least in shoes) in all sports but soccer. You aren't kicking the tennis ball, so why would you want a thicker, less breathable material in your shoes? Synthetics can also be made to give more support than leather, if need be.

Huh..I'm confused, isn't a natural material supposed to be more breathable than synthetic? Or the technology has really advanced that much?

MaximRecoil
08-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Anyone remember "Traxx", "USA 100", etc? You know, the $7.95 a pair sneakers from fine retailers such Ames, Zayre's, and K-mart? Those were made from "synthetics" (lol), except we called it "fake leather", "plastic", or "vinyl" back then.

Sometime in the 90's (and even a bit in the late 80's), the big name shoe manufacturers, who formerly wouldn't touch fake leather with a 10 foot pole, decided to play a joke on consumers.

They proclaimed "synthetics" to be "high tech", made up a multitude of supposed "benefits", and used the cheap stuff to make their expensive shoes out of, without a commensurate reduction in price of course.

The same thing happened with hockey skates, though about a decade later than it happened with sneakers. The situation is even worse though with hockey skates, given that there is only one manufacturer left using leather (Graf [Sweden]) while you can still get leather sneakers pretty easily.

MaximRecoil
08-06-2007, 04:48 PM
IMO, leather is inferior to most synthetic materials nowaday (at least in shoes) in all sports but soccer. You aren't kicking the tennis ball, so why would you want a thicker, less breathable material in your shoes?
Leather is not "less breathable". It also does not have to be thicker, given that it is a stronger material than any imitation of it is.
Synthetics can also be made to give more support than leather, if need be.Not while retaining properties useful for a tennis shoe. If when you refer to "synthetics", you mean anything man-made, then sure, you could made a shoe out of fiberglass or kevlar or something, and it would have all the support you could ever want -- at the expense of many other things of course. Leather can be made to far higher levels of support than you'd ever need or want in a tennis shoe, while still remaining somewhat flexible (ice skates for example).

Leather could be even better than what we typically see too, if Kangaroo leather would be used more often; which is both stronger and lighter than cow leather.