PDA

View Full Version : where to start wrapping a grip?

hartofalyon
07-31-2007, 06:57 PM
i wanted to change a grip, however, i would like to know where to start wrapping the grip to minimize the uneven-ness at the butt of the handle. all of my factory wrapped handles, syn or leather, feels uneven when i turn the racquet face to the other side. i think i read somewhere to start at the side bevel of the racquet while some say the diagonal bevel. any ideas?

Jonny S&V
07-31-2007, 07:04 PM
i wanted to change a grip, however, i would like to know where to start wrapping the grip to minimize the uneven-ness at the butt of the handle. all of my factory wrapped handles, syn or leather, feels uneven when i turn the racquet face to the other side. i think i read somewhere to start at the side bevel of the racquet while some say the diagonal bevel. any ideas?

Start where you first started the replacement grip.

JW10S
07-31-2007, 07:10 PM
No matter which bevel you start on there will be some 'uneven-ness'. That's why a lot of pros always hold their racquets on the same side.

jonline
07-31-2007, 09:22 PM
Start where you first started the replacement grip.

That's what I do, side bevel usually.

tbini87
07-31-2007, 10:34 PM
i start mine right in the middle of the flat part of the grip, and don't notice any problems. i guess when you do it over and over you get used to it and don't mind it as much.

aidenous
08-01-2007, 04:18 AM
I also use the side. Here's tw's instructions:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Regripping/Regripping.html

Bubba
08-01-2007, 06:27 AM
Actually, this is a bugger and over the years I developed a technique that minimizes the bevel on 1 side and makes it more even. If you lay the racquet flat on the ground and look at the butt cap as a clock face... the 1:2, 4:5, 7:8, 10:11 positions are the place to start the overwrap... I will start the overwrap on the clock position OPPOSITE where the main grip was started (At least on Wilson and Babolat all main grips start at one of these positions). This has the effect of offsetting the flare created by the main grip.

Give it a try.