PDA

View Full Version : Safin's Interview

Vanja Ljubibratic
03-16-2004, 03:52 PM
WOW!! It's great to finally hear a fellow player analyze Roddick's game the way Safin did. I know that he was disappointed about losing, but the comments that he made about Roddick's game were great. He basically said that Roddick's backhand sucked overall, but especially in comparison to his own. He also said that Roddick was dead lucky for hitting those two great vollies at the end of the breaker, (I didn't see the match myself); that Roddick doesn't have overall good vollies like those two that he got lucky on...I just thought that after all the *** kissing by the PMac and all the announcers, that it's good to hear what the actual players think. It's also good to hear that Safin is in no way afraid of Roddick's game, and that he felt that he was in control pretty much all the time off the ground.
I personally don't see this as a set back for Safin, because Roddick seems like he just got lucky. I think that Safin's confidence is still very high, and that he will carry that high for a while more. What do you all think about Safin's comments?

Vlad
03-16-2004, 04:26 PM
What he did was a bit disrespectful to Roddick. To say that the guy would never make those two volleys in his life was just absurd.
We are all know his b/h is better than Roddick's as well as net play, but he should give credit instead of saying that Roddick was the lucky one. And by the way, Safin should be ashamed of himself for giving up in that second set.

Grimjack
03-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Anybody have a link to this?

Bhagi Katbamna
03-16-2004, 04:39 PM
"Roddick sucked, that why I beat him!" "What, I lost?--oh nevermind."

Grimjack
03-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Anybody have a link to this?

NM.

Found it. (http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/10/players/interviews/safin315_rx.asp)

MattNowicki
03-16-2004, 05:07 PM
Typical Safin, big on talk, none on action. I don't care what many people may say about Safin being a nice guy, he always seemed, like his comrade Kafelnikov, to have a mouth that was a bit too big for his own good. I never particularly liked Safin, for this reason. His lifestyle is a perfect reflection of this attitude...at least he realized how much he missed what was truely important in his life. He better grow up, though.

The Franchise
03-16-2004, 05:07 PM
Well, if you actually did see the match, then you wouldn't be making these asinine comments about how much Roddick sucks and how lucky he was. 'Nuff said!

david aames
03-16-2004, 05:28 PM
Typical Safin, big on talk, none on action. I don't care what many people may say about Safin being a nice guy, he always seemed, like his comrade Kafelnikov, to have a mouth that was a bit too big for his own good. I never particularly liked Safin, for this reason. His lifestyle is a perfect reflection of this attitude...at least he realized how much he missed what was truely important in his life. He better grow up, though.

Last time I checked, Safin kicked Roddick's *** in a best of 3 major. Roddick got back at him at Indian Wells with a little help from Brad Gilbert. Big deal...

And what's wrong with his lifestyle? If you are looking for role models, forget about tennis. At least, Safin gets to see a little Formula 1 action from his windows and no freakin NASCAR...

david aames
03-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Well, if you actually did see the match, then you wouldn't be making these asinine comments about how much Roddick sucks and how lucky he was. 'Nuff said!

Well I did see the match and as usual Roddick's game seemed like a lot of effort for a little talent.

The Franchise
03-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Yeah, and I bet most people would give away their first born child for half of the so called little talent that Roddick has. On that note, I bet Agassi is in the same boat. It's just alot of effort hitting the ball sideline to sideline, and little talent at all. Damn these talentless hacks, damn them to hell.

@wright
03-16-2004, 07:00 PM
I wish more trash-talking would happen in tennis, it might actually attract some people to watch it. Can you really blame Safin for what he said? I don't think anyone in here will argue that Safin's backhand is a helluva lot better than Roddick's. Bottom Line: Roddick volleyed very well that day. Safin seems to be hung up on 2 volleys, but Roddick hit many more good volleys than that. I think if Safin had served a little better the whole match, it would have taken some pressure off his groundies and he would have pulled it out. But he didn't so he didn't.

alienhamster
03-16-2004, 07:06 PM
Mr. Aames--I don't think we've been watching the same matches. Roddick clearly has a lot of talent, and his relentless effort in matches just makes him all the more deserving to be in the top 5 of the game. And the Aussie O? It's not an ***-kicking when you have 5 competitive sets, bud.

Safin's interviews are always refreshingly candid, but sometimes the guy is just wrong. He's assuming a lot if he thinks that the match was in the bag for him if he had had one or two of those "lucky" shots go his way. (I do think Safin's dead right about the backhand-to-backhand rallies. But Roddick did a great job mixing up his shots, having conviction on the backhands he had to hit, and eventually getting the ball to his forehand.)

I'm a big Safin fan, too, and I just really hated to see him go down like that in the second set. After the Aussie, I thought we had the new, more mentally tough Safin on our hands. Oh well . . .

MattNowicki
03-16-2004, 07:08 PM
David, there's no reason to get edgy. All I was saying is that Safin's done this countless times before- basically given his arrogant comments, which upon watching the match, is a bit unfounded...Roddick volleyed very well, and Safin is clearly a bit green over it. And yes, Safin beat him in a major, yet it was very close- this was more one sided, as we are starting to see flashbacks of the old, unstable Marat, and for some reason I think this will continue. You can take a tiger out of the jungle but you can't take the jungle out of the tiger, David. Finally, your point about lifestyle is a bit naive: People look up to sports athletes, whether you like it or not. To see people like Agassi, who builds schools and has nothing but praise for anyone, is quite encouraging for young people. On the other hand, to hear Marat bicker, live life in the fast lane, and completely loose focus of his passion for tennis,and not give back to the community at all (be it praise OR charitible foundations)....well... isn't. At least Roddick gives back to the world, unlike Marat, who seems to leech off of his own ego.

jarrett
03-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Guys, you are all SO extreme !!!!!! first of all, what Safin said was true: those volleys were lucky... but they were also awesome shots!!!!!
Now, even though I like Safin a lot, what he said was VERY arrogant and out of place for a guy who just lost the way he did. I bet he should try to be less proud of himself when he tanks like he did in the second set...
I do not like Roddick that much but people on this board should give him more credit. Roddick is an awesome player and is, of course, very talented. You do not enter the top 100 on the ATP without talent and you do not become number 1 at 21 year old without extraordinary skills... Guys, try to put things in perspective before making bold statements...

david aames
03-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Finally, your point about lifestyle is a bit naive: People look up to sports athletes, whether you like it or not. To see people like Agassi, who builds schools and has nothing but praise for anyone, is quite encouraging for young people. On the other hand, to hear Marat bicker, live life in the fast lane, and completely loose focus of his passion for tennis,and not give back to the community at all (be it praise OR charitible foundations)....well... isn't. At least Roddick gives back to the world, unlike Marat, who seems to leech off of his own ego.

Right, I'm the naive bloke on this one. We all know it's all about giving back to the community in the US. Last time I checked, Roddick gave back to a real estate agent in redneck county.

david aames
03-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Yeah, and I bet most people would give away their first born child for half of the so called little talent that Roddick has. On that note, I bet Agassi is in the same boat. It's just alot of effort hitting the ball sideline to sideline, and little talent at all. Damn these talentless hacks, damn them to hell.

I guess that's why Agassi has 2 kids now -- lusting for a piece of Roddick's talent. He's just waiting for the right moment to trade them off...

MattNowicki
03-16-2004, 08:24 PM
You go think so, David. Honestly, at this point, you've moved so far off the "rational" radar, that I frankly don't care where you crash.

prince
03-16-2004, 08:24 PM
i did not see thet match - was working all day .

do you guys feel it is a typical 2 volleys that roddick would have made day in day out?
or was it really lucky?

@wright
03-16-2004, 08:26 PM
I'd say one was a complete sitter, almost an overhead, and the other was more luck. Still, not volleys that "old roddick" would have eaten up like he did yesterday. There may have been some luck involved.

Bhagi Katbamna
03-16-2004, 08:33 PM
But the thing is, Roddick didn't give up on balls and Safin was surprised on a couple of those shots and missed sitters. I've never liked Safin much(because he tanks so much) and these comments don't endear him to me any more.

Matt H.
03-16-2004, 08:49 PM
i just love the collection of 10" penis swinging posters on this message board.

Seriously, it's ridiculous. Be honest, no matter what Roddick does or attempts, you're gonna bash him.

Let's get some things straight here:

1. Winning 6-4 in the 5th set is not an "***-kicking"

2. Roddick ADAPTED yesterday to beat Safin. Credit is due to Brad Gilbert obviously, but you can tell they went over what happened at the AO, and made the changes neccessary to beat Safin.

3. Calling Roddick a "no-talented" and "lucky" player is the most ignornant, and jealous thing ever. He's the freaking US Open Champion, and probably had the BEST OVERALL record in the majors last year, to go along with his 2 masters series titles.

4. If you watched the match, Roddick worked harder than i've ever seen him in a match before, to get that win. He deserved every bit of that win....and to argue on behalf of Safin, who frankly has the crappiest attitude on tour and tanked the 2nd set, is a bit disappointing.

:roll:

cruusher
03-16-2004, 08:52 PM
we all know that roddick is 1 dimensional, and he has lost to safin in two majors as i remember, wimby and the aus. arod wasnt coming off of a year long injury like safin, and didnt play as tough of a schedule, yet he still lost........nuff said! roddick won here by playing better than usual and safin worse than usual.

Matt H.
03-16-2004, 09:11 PM
roddick never played safin at wimbledon. They've played 3 times, the first was when roddick was 18, and the last 2 have come this year.

Matt H.
03-16-2004, 09:15 PM
also, not trying to bash you cruusher, but using your post as an example of the typical posts on this website.

When roddick beats a top guy, it's because he played unbelievable, and the other player had a bad day.

Yet Federer, with his stellar records against Tim Henman(1-6) and David Nalbandian(2-5), it's the other way around....win, lose, or draw....it's law that Federer is the better player no matter what.

atatu
03-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Whoa...hope David isn't referring to Austin as "Redneck Country." That would be like calling New York City "that hellhole filled with arrogant jerks who can't drive.." and I would never do that....

sseemiller
03-17-2004, 02:42 AM
I didn't see the match, coz I was out on an outer court watching an even better match. :wink:

But the general sense in the media room is that Safin does not have the same commitment to the game that Roddick does. I'm not talking about talent; I'm talking about commitment.

And perhaps Andy's commitment has something to do with his results.

As we often say, everyone in the Top 100 is talented; it's small things that make the difference between No. 100 and No. 1, but those differences are critical. Mostly it's between the ears.

Susan

juu
03-17-2004, 06:03 AM
I didn't like Roddick game 6 months ago (mostly because of Whisper hyping him on rec.sport.tennis), and didn't see the match in question (Eurosport only shows WTA this tournament), but I agree with what Matt H. wrote completely.

Roddick has fighting spirit and you have to respect that. If he gets to the net more often in the future - so much better for him and for us.

Bob Murray
03-17-2004, 06:53 AM
I'd rather listen to an honest Safin or YK interview than the pseudo-niceness of a Roddick one. YK's been dissed for be a money grabber but he harmed his sponsorship chances by speaking his mind at interviews. If he was a real money grabber he'd have been all phoney niceness and smiles but he wasn't. The Roddick handlers increase his earning potential by giving him carefully scripted nice stock answers to use for interviews. Go figure.

sliceroni
03-17-2004, 07:10 AM
Saw the match, although Roddick did attack he still looked more uncomfortable up there that Safin did. I'm not sure why Safin didn't pick up on it because he's got great passing shot (2000 Open final). When Roddick attacks I can't help think of Lendl, hardest working player ever, tried to work on attacking and even skipped the French one year but it just never came natural to him. Those two volley's he hit would be routine for guy like Sampras, Federer, Rafter. I'm not shocked that Safin was surprised he pulled it off. You may think it was a sore-loser thing to say, but better to be honest.

voltman
03-17-2004, 11:17 PM
Did anyone actually HEAR the interview? I could see how he could have said stuff like "he'd never make that in his life" offhandedly and not accusatory. But I didn't hear it.

sseemiller
03-18-2004, 02:15 AM
A W is a W, as the players say. Roddick got it, and Safin didn't. And it does come down to small things.

I've been to two of Andy's interviews this week, and I think if you got to sit in the press room and see him talking and joking with media, you may feel differently. But I'm biased, of course.

Susan

Free_Martha
03-18-2004, 09:31 AM
Typical sour grapes from the Russian. Maybe Marat won't flake out next time.