PDA

View Full Version : Agassi Fun Facts from TTC

Tchocky
08-01-2007, 09:59 AM
PROFESSOR ANDRE
In 2001, Agassi opened up the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy in Las Vegas, a tuition-free charter school for at-risk children in the area.

THE HUMAN TOUCH
Agassi was awarded the ATP Arthur Ashe Humanitarian award in 1995 for his efforts to help disadvantaged youth.

THE YENTL GIANT
Agassi dated Barbra Streisand in the early 1990s before marrying actress Brooke Shields in 1997.

ANDRE THE CLIENT
In 2005, Agassi left Nike after 17 years and signed a multiple year endorsement deal with Adidas.

UNSEEDED, UNDAUNTED
In 1994 Andre became the first man to capture the U.S. Open as an unseeded player.

ALL ENGLAND CLUB
Agassi defeated two former champions Boris Becker and John McEnroe en route to his first grand slam title at Wimbledon in 1992.

FAMILY MATTERS
Agassi won his tour level match against John Austin, brother of Two-time US Open champion Tracy Austin.

THE MONEY TRAIN
In 1988, Agassi surpassed $2 million in career prize money after playing in only 43 tournaments becoming the fastest player in history had reached that milestone.

THE GIVING TREE
The Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation has raised over $60 million for at-risk children in Southern Nevada.

MASTER OF HIS DOMAIN
Andre Agassi won 17 ATP Masters Series tournaments, more than any other player.

FULL TROPHY CASE
Andre is the only player in the open era to have won every Grand Slam singles title, to have won the Tennis Masters Cup, to have been part of a winning Davis Cup team, and to have won an Olympic gold medal.

MARKED IMPROVEMENT
Agassi is the only player to have won the ATP Most Improved Player Award twice.

EQUAL OPPORTUNITY DESTROYER
Agassi won his eight Grand Slam titles against eight different players.

brayman9
08-01-2007, 05:24 PM
i knew most off them but the barbra streissand one. Guess i am to young to remember that.

MaximRecoil
08-02-2007, 11:01 PM
I thought Andre Agassi would be just a flash in the pan when I first became aware of him in '86 or so. I figured he was popular mainly because of his image, and as soon as the novelty of that wore off, he'd be gone.

It is amazing to me what he's accomplished. Who would have thought 21 years ago that this rebellious, junkfood-eating, trendy novelty act of tennis would become one of the greatest players of all time, and have such longevity and success on all surfaces, and earn near universal respect from both tennis fans and his peers in the process?