PDA

View Full Version : Luxilon BB and tension loss

Xevoius
10-17-2004, 07:58 PM
I have put about 10 court hours on my BB Originals and have finally determined that the tension is now too low for me to keep the ball in the court consistently. I am curious if any of you have had this experience and I am wondering if I am going to get this with the set of ALU that I just put on my racquet.

If any of you have tried using string savers, please let me know how much tension you have felt come back into your string and if it was worth it.

I am still completely satisfied with this string as I would have had to change my strings five times over to get the same performance.

ragnaROK
10-17-2004, 08:01 PM
I've tried both and feel that ALU holds tension longer than the original. Sorry to turn ur topic into tangent but what polyester do you guys think holds tension the best?

Xevoius
10-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Well, I am also trying Technifibre Polyspin at the moment as well and the tension loss was more than noticeable only leaving in my bag for a night prior to hitting with it after the string job.

This string did not feel like it had nearly the grab on the ball the way Lux BB does so I might be cutting it out soon. I wish it wasn't so damn pretty.

intense2b
10-17-2004, 08:49 PM
You are supposed to have tension loss with polyester. It is the nature of the beast. But once it set in then it locks in at the lower weight.

I like to play with really loose strings. I like to play at 52 pounds, therefore I have my Luxilon ace strung at 55 pounds knowing full well that I will loose tension down to 52 pounds after a couple of sets

Polyester does loose tension but then it stays there. My strings have stayed at around 52 for the past 6 months (tested with the string-a-meter).

Xevoius
10-18-2004, 07:21 AM
Ah good to know intense. I may pick one of those string tester thingies and see what the tension drop is like using Lux BB Original.

Has anyone tried prestrechting their Big Banger?

Richie Rich
10-18-2004, 07:51 AM
Prestretching BB original will not help in maintaining tension. It won't stretch at all. Trust me - tried it. It will only help get rid of the coil memory - which does make it 10 times easier to string.

What I found works well for BB original is to go up by a couple of pounds (like earlier post said) and also hybrid with a good syn gut in the crosses that holds tension well. Softens up the BB and you also don't get the tension loss throughout the whole string bed.

Xevoius
10-18-2004, 08:31 AM
I tried ALU Rough with as a hybrid with Wilson NXT and it played like a dead Wilson NXT. It did not have the same characteristics at all as BB does when you use it alone.