PDA

View Full Version : How often has a player thrown their racket into the crowd...

MaximRecoil
08-02-2007, 11:18 AM
...after winning a Grand Slam event? I saw Steffi Graf do it once after beating Martina Navratilova (I think) at Wimbledon (I think) in the late 80's. It was a Dunlop Max 200G. I've always wondered what became of that racket, and what it would be worth today (assuming its authenticity could be established).

federer envies me
08-02-2007, 11:35 AM
I am almost 100% sure arod throw his raquet in the crowd after he won cincy.

MaximRecoil
08-02-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm surprised that anyone does it. What if you injured someone? If I was in the crowd, I'd love to catch a match-winning racket, and would be more than willing to accept the risks involved -- but not everyone is like that, especially when they see dollar signs at the prospect of a lawsuit. And a lawsuit would be even more likely if the person injured wasn't the one who was quick enough to grab and claim the racket, lol.

armand
08-02-2007, 11:56 AM
It's not that rare. It happens once every 90 matches on the men's pro tour in my estimation.

MaximRecoil
08-02-2007, 11:58 AM
It's not that rare. It happens once every 90 matches on the men's pro tour in my estimation.
But how often in a Grand Slam final from the winner? Those rackets would be the ones with the most value I'd think.

PDRPPHVS+
08-02-2007, 07:19 PM
I am almost 100% sure arod throw his raquet in the crowd after he won cincy.

yeah espcially when they are dead, I have seen many people get raquets strait from pro's i have recieved max mirnys match used finals hat signed, arod raquet, and max mirnys wristband and towel, also a bunch of other players gear, also many matched used balls signed by people like, federer, roddick, bryan bro's, hewitt, nadal, and i was o so close to get federer's towel and wristband the guy next to me grabbed it from me ( i was so ticked)!

Gmedlo
08-02-2007, 07:31 PM
I see Roddick hand off the racquet he happens to have after he wins/loses in most of his matches. Haven't seen him throw one though.

stevekim8
08-02-2007, 07:37 PM
omg i would LOVE to catch one of those racquets

IanRichardson
08-02-2007, 11:37 PM
i was watching a davis cup match this year and i remember one of the pros handing 2 of his broken racquets to these little kids after he lost. I cant remember which country or player it was. Oh well.

mona999
08-02-2007, 11:57 PM
i saw it once b4 at the acura classic couple yrs back.

gsquicksilver
08-03-2007, 01:51 AM
sampras threw his racquet one year into the crowd after winning wimbledon. i believe it was the 1994 wimbly.

Moose Malloy
08-03-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm surprised that anyone does it. What if you injured someone? If I was in the crowd, I'd love to catch a match-winning racket, and would be more than willing to accept the risks involved -- but not everyone is like that, especially when they see dollar signs at the prospect of a lawsuit. And a lawsuit would be even more likely if the person injured wasn't the one who was quick enough to grab and claim the racket, lol.

You should look on youtube for Becker's celebrations after winning Wimbledon & the US Open in '89. He didn't throw it lightly like most do, but took a running start & really drove with his legs before launching it far into the stadium, pretty forcefully (Becker was a really strong guy)

Can't remember if it was the Wimbledon or US Open final, but a spectator did get clocked in the head by his racquet toss. I think Boris met with the fan, apologized, took some pictures, etc. Not sure if Becker ever threw his racquet again after that.

I think this used to be more common in the 80s/90s, I recall Sampras & Korda doing it after slam wins as well.

Pat Cash was the only player I've seen do it in anger, after losing the '84 US Open SF to Lendl, he threw it overhand, pretty violently into the crowd. He got fined by the atp.

MaximRecoil
08-03-2007, 12:53 PM
You should look on youtube for Becker's celebrations after winning Wimbledon & the US Open in '89. He didn't throw it lightly like most do, but took a running start & really drove with his legs before launching it far into the stadium, pretty forcefully (Becker was a really strong guy)

Can't remember if it was the Wimbledon or US Open final, but a spectator did get clocked in the head by his racquet toss. I think Boris met with the fan, apologized, took some pictures, etc. Not sure if Becker ever threw his racquet again after that.Now that would be interesting to see. I couldn't find anything like that on YouTube, do you have a link?

I'd say Becker dodged a bullet there -- well, I don't know about the laws in the UK, but he definitely could have been on the wrong end of a lawsuit if it happened at the U.S. Open.
I think this used to be more common in the 80s/90s, I recall Sampras & Korda doing it after slam wins as well.

Pat Cash was the only player I've seen do it in anger, after losing the '84 US Open SF to Lendl, he threw it overhand, pretty violently into the crowd. He got fined by the atp.If I won a Grand Slam event, I'd want to keep the racket I used.

The Pat Cash thing sounds familiar. I might have heard about that when I was a kid. I assume no one was injured?

Lleytian3
08-03-2007, 01:07 PM
yeah espcially when they are dead, I have seen many people get raquets strait from pro's i have recieved max mirnys match used finals hat signed, arod raquet, and max mirnys wristband and towel, also a bunch of other players gear, also many matched used balls signed by people like, federer, roddick, bryan bro's, hewitt, nadal, and i was o so close to get federer's towel and wristband the guy next to me grabbed it from me ( i was so ticked)!

my friend either you know some people that know some people to get that kind of stuff. or you are one verry lucky man. or a rich man with really good seats

PDRPPHVS+
08-03-2007, 01:16 PM
my friend either you know some people that know some people to get that kind of stuff. or you are one verry lucky man. or a rich man with really good seats

Yes some of both:

I would not say super lucky but I have recieved many items from pro's during tourny's espiciall doubles finals because not many people stay for doubles, I would recommend to always stay for doubles!

I am not extrememly rich, but friends with a guy who's family is very wealthy, he was so mad when I got the raquet, and don't always be to greedy and selfish, be selfless, ask politely you have a better chance if you are very unpacient, and don't ask multiple times if a pro says no, be respectful!

Lleytian3
08-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Yes some of both:

I would not say super lucky but I have recieved many items from pro's during tourny's espiciall doubles finals because not many people stay for doubles, I would recommend to always stay for doubles!

I am not extrememly rich, but friends with a guy who's family is very wealthy, he was so mad when I got the raquet, and don't always be to greedy and selfish, be selfless, ask politely you have a better chance if you are very unpacient, and don't ask multiple times if a pro says no, be respectful!

thats a very good point

well i also think you have a better chance when you go to the smaller unpopular tournements, then less people more chance of you getting stuff.

yes and doubles, nobody goes to, and you can go a lot of stuff

PDRPPHVS+
08-03-2007, 01:49 PM
thats a very good point

well i also think you have a better chance when you go to the smaller unpopular tournements, then less people more chance of you getting stuff.

yes and doubles, nobody goes to, and you can go a lot of stuff

yeah i recieved many things from the doubles finals in cincy, with bryan bro's and Max Mirny, Jonas Birkman, I recieved wristbands, hats, towels, grips, etc...................................!

RoddickAce
08-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Didn't Djokovic throw his racquet in the crowd when he won in Miami? In fact, he almost threw everything away! But i'm not sure if he did throw the racquet. i saw him heading towards the crowd, holding racquet and just when he was about to throw it...the TV channel cut off the part to show commercials...>=( and I was waiting the whole time to see if he was going to throw it too...

Ethan
08-07-2007, 11:39 AM
LOL i would lov to get hold of that racquet i would never sell it

Moose Malloy
08-12-2007, 06:57 PM
looks like novak joins the racquet tossing club, and its not even a major

pj80
08-12-2007, 08:40 PM
sampras at wimbledon 94, us open 95 and 96

Mick
08-12-2007, 08:44 PM
I predict that the racquet Djokovic threw to the crowd will show up on the big auction site very shortly :)