PDA

View Full Version : Does gauge matter? I'm not as stupid as that sounds!

Marc C.
10-18-2004, 03:38 AM
I tested out a set of my friend's kirschbaum super smash 16. I like the string and I am considering buying it. I would like to get the 17 guage as I would like the extra spin etc... Would a thinner guage lose tension or go "dead" faster? Thanks for your help.

K!ck5w3rvE
10-19-2004, 04:07 AM
Thin:
- More power
- More spin
- More control
- Less durability
- Loses tension quicker
- Goes 'dead' sooner

And vice versa....

bsandy
10-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Thin:
- More power
- More spin
- More control
- Less durability
- Loses tension quicker
- Goes 'dead' sooner

And vice versa....

First three depend on the racquet and the swing. (I'll supply sources from Tennis Magazine and Wilson if you like.)

I'll Add . . . Thinner string will be softer.

Marc C.
10-19-2004, 02:58 PM
I know about the spin and power aspects of thinner string, but what about going "dead" and tension loss. Would i really feel the difference using the same string in a different guage?

fastdunn
10-19-2004, 03:15 PM
I would say "yes" interms of relative resiliency and tension
loss, well,... theoretically, simply because there's less material.
But I suspect experiences might vary individually. For example,
I think there are differences in beginning resiliency.
I personally feel more of tension loss on thiner gauge but not
so much about going dead. I usually pop the thinner gauge
strings well before it goes dead unless it's polyester or kevlar..

Kick Serve
10-20-2004, 07:37 AM
Personally, I've found that if a 17 gauge of a particular string loses tension fast, then the 16 gauge will also lose tension fast. The difference is hard for me to discern and I'm usually pretty sensitive to tension loss. It seems the material it's made out of dictate tension loss moreso than the gauge.

Outside of durability, I've found the main difference lies in resiliency and stiffness. A 17 gauge usually starts out more resilient and a little crisper (more pop). The 16 gauge of the same string will usually feel a little softer, but less resilient (less pop). Because the 17 gauge starts out slightly more resilient, it may give the perception of going dead faster. And of course the degree of this difference varies from string type to string type. So chances are, if durability isn't a question you'll probably enjoy the increase in playability with the 17 gauge over the 16 gauge. And most likely you won't notice a big difference in tension loss between the two. Ultimately, this is just based on my experience. You'll definitely have to try both to form your own opinion. Hope this helps.

jediknightdan
10-21-2004, 08:07 AM
of corse it dose

pure luck
10-21-2004, 10:15 AM
17gauge strings will indeed give u a better feel but will it lose it tension fast will depend on e material made.

e.g using a soft string like gamma TNT2 17gauge will give u lots of feel but using ashaway crossfire 17, strings is very durable but again feel will be as good