PDA

View Full Version : Do Hybrids really inprove feel/touch?

Benjamin
10-18-2004, 03:57 AM
I have been playing with Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L polyester string for a while now (played with Kirschbaum Super Smash Honey 17g before that) at 57 pounds in my POG mid.

I recently had one of my other POG mids strung with Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L (62 pounds) in the mains and Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16 (59 pounds) in the crosses {instead of an all Luxilon job}.

I had a chance to compare the two racquets side by side for the first time yesterday and I must say that the all Luxilon string job played softer than the hybrid I used. The all Luxilon had more power but probably a little less touch/feel around the net.

My question is: Did the all Luxilon string job feel softer and have more power because of the difference in tension?

I guess I also really want to know if I go with a hybrid string job (say Luxilon still in the mains and Prince Synthetic Gut w/Duraflex in the crosses) and lower the tension a little, will it have better feel/touch than just an all Luxilon stringing?

Thanks.

Benjamin

K!ck5w3rvE
10-19-2004, 03:26 AM
Maybe.

Richie Rich
10-19-2004, 05:10 AM
Of course the hybrid was stiffer. You strung the lux at 62 vs 57 for your regular string job. stringing the crosses a little looser isn'y going to make up for 5 lbs difference in the mains. :roll:

My experience with lux hybrids are that they will play softer than an all lux string job, if you keep the same tension. Just makes sense since syn gut is softer than lux.

bsandy
10-19-2004, 09:10 AM
IMO . . . There are two major reasons to hybrid

1. To slightly soften or stiffen a string job.
2. To lower the cost of string.

I think common sense can dictate, what to use.

. . . and some other side effects . . .

Using a poly to cross NG and Multi's, for me, make them last longer

Using a rough string in the crosses can add a bit more spin - not much maybe, but it can't hurt.

. . . Bud

Gaines Hillix
10-19-2004, 09:35 AM
I agree with Richie Rich and bsandy. Also, 80% of the playing characteristics of the string job come from the mains.

Steve Huff
10-19-2004, 10:32 AM
There are really more than 2 reasons to hybrid.

The ones bsandy said, of course, but also:

3. too increase durability, most likely the main reason
This can be accomplished in 2 different scenario's.
a. a longer lasting main string (ie polyester, kevlar or thicker gauge)
b. a monofiliment in the crosses with a multi main string. This not only saves money, but often the crosses of an all multi job fray and break before the mains. so, I use a mono in the crosses.

4. just happen to have 2 pieces of 20' string left on 2 different reels.

There are probably others (people want 2 different colors,etc)