PDA

View Full Version : Who cares about vibration dampeners?

K-LEG
08-02-2007, 10:07 PM
I used to be one of those guys who would tear at his ears everytime I heard that ping noise from the racquet. Now I take off the vibration dampener from the racquet and I love that huge bang noise after hitting my forehands.

TheShaun
08-02-2007, 10:35 PM
gotta have my rubber band on there. probably more for the look than the function.

tennisboi
08-02-2007, 11:00 PM
lol. well it depends on me. if the racket has a crazy sound. you bet i'll put on a shock absorber. but i don't really need to use the shock stopper. there's no point.

aidenous
08-03-2007, 04:59 AM
It's the sound for me. I prefer the dampener on.

esm
08-03-2007, 05:38 AM
has anyone moved the dampener up and down between the last cross and end of the racquet face?
i have tried with mine, and i get different sounds at different locations

Loco4Tennis
08-03-2007, 12:16 PM
i use dampeners because of the klink sound my racquets produce, it could just be because my racquets are cheap, i am not sure of the $100+ racquets don't have that sound.
as for dampeners i have used the one at the store and just recently i have used the rubber band trick, works good too, less weight.
but in regards to moving the dampener up or under the last cross, i have read in multiple threads and talk to someone who plays more tennis then i that you cannot have the dampener over the last cross string, illegal in competition play; i play with a prokennex obtund 306 and it has a plastic frame hugging dampener from the manufacturer which would support what this person told me about the dampener position;
but i also have read that the dampener cannot be below the last cross string, i don't know which it correct at this point, anyone know what the rules say on this?

PDRPPHVS+
08-03-2007, 12:18 PM
I like using rubber bands because: Normal vibration dampners take lots of the feel away though rubber bands give you some of the feel!

fbone
08-03-2007, 12:27 PM
It's a completely different sound...I'm so used to using dampeners, I've tried without a number of times but always go back.

tbini87
08-03-2007, 12:51 PM
i don't see the big fuss. it is totally personal preference and has nothing to do with improving your game. to each his own.

quest01
08-03-2007, 07:15 PM
What kind of rubber band do you use on a racket, and also how do you put the rubber band on the racket?

Pr0DiGy
08-03-2007, 07:29 PM
nTour/nTour-Two both sound extremely tinny without a shock absorber. With one, it sounds but much more solid. It's mostly mental, but I definitely feel my shots are more solid with a shock absorber.

Loco4Tennis
08-04-2007, 04:33 AM
What kind of rubber band do you use on a racket, and also how do you put the rubber band on the racket?

don't over complicate this trick, it's as simple as tying 4 mains together, over under, over under, tie. or any variation of that, i did see athread on this site on how someone else did it with picture, will post again if i find it.

esm
08-04-2007, 06:45 AM
don't over complicate this trick, it's as simple as tying 4 mains together, over under, over under, tie. or any variation of that, i did see athread on this site on how someone else did it with picture, will post again if i find it.

2 mains will be sufficient w/ rubberband.

http://home.pacbell.net/gmlasam/rubberband.html

http://home.pacbell.net/gmlasam/images/agassi1_ap_400.jpg

Loco4Tennis
08-04-2007, 07:02 PM
2 mains will be sufficient w/ rubberband.

http://home.pacbell.net/gmlasam/images/agassi1_ap_400.jpg

great link, good picture, really shows how simple it is, again there are lots of variations to this, i tied the 4 mains because i had a skinnier yet longer rubberband, one i found arround the house and my dog had not yet eaten, and was really surpriced how much sound it dampens, no more or less from other dampeners, but rather how much from such a simple rubberband. i think you can add this trick to the million and one uses for the rubberband, now if we could only figure out how to use a paperclip in tennis ;) ,,,, safely.

jonline
08-04-2007, 11:27 PM

#64 rubber band from Staples, if you want the original and tried and true rubber band of Mr. Andre Agassi.

mrcalon
08-05-2007, 12:01 AM
I used to be one of those guys who would tear at his ears everytime I heard that ping noise from the racquet. Now I take off the vibration dampener from the racquet and I love that huge bang noise after hitting my forehands.

I'm starting to like the ping my Ti-80 makes with poly and no dampener. Someone should start a "no dampeners" club.

TheShaun
08-05-2007, 12:12 AM

this tells you everything you need to know....

Loco4Tennis
08-05-2007, 06:01 AM
It's a completely different sound...I'm so used to using dampeners, I've tried without a number of times but always go back.

do you remeber ever using a 1/2 " round/square color foam dampener that you would literally squeeze between the two mains;
now talk about a crappy dampener;
this thing would fly off the racquet if you looked at it funny.
i think you still see them in stores, but the new dampeners are way better.
who wants to bet on how long its gonna take boris becker to mass produce rubber bands with his name on it :-D, shooot, i'de put my name on one and seel it for a dollar :-D.

alex81
08-11-2007, 04:04 PM
When I was a kid I hated that sound your racquet would make but as I got older I took them off my racquets and never went back.

Ronaldo
08-11-2007, 05:01 PM
has anyone moved the dampener up and down between the last cross and end of the racquet face?
i have tried with mine, and i get different sounds at different locations

Use a Babolat RVS, Racquet Vibration System which is meant to be used pressed against the hoop of the racquet. http://www.babolat.com/english/tennis/accessories/index.php

Loco4Tennis
08-20-2007, 10:34 AM
great link, good picture, really shows how simple it is, again there are lots of variations to this, i tied the 4 mains because i had a skinnier yet longer rubberband, one i found arround the house and my dog had not yet eaten, and was really surpriced how much sound it dampens, no more or less from other dampeners, but rather how much from such a simple rubberband. i think you can add this trick to the million and one uses for the rubberband, now if we could only figure out how to use a paperclip in tennis ;) ,,,, safely.

here is the setup i use, i think it shows pretty good
it allows me to use a smaller rubber band
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/NachoNator788/DSC03735.jpg?t=1187631105 (javascript:void(0);)

Alpine
08-22-2007, 02:35 AM

You know what, I felt the same thing. I used to use a shock strap and then took it off, just to try. Now I love it without one and I seem to get more power out of the racket too.

tbini87
08-23-2007, 01:13 PM
nTour/nTour-Two both sound extremely tinny without a shock absorber. With one, it sounds but much more solid. It's mostly mental, but I definitely feel my shots are more solid with a shock absorber.

this sums it up for me! i use the original nTour 95 and it is way too tinny for me without a dampener. it sounds and feels more solid with one on.

Loco4Tennis
08-27-2007, 06:38 PM
You know what, I felt the same thing. I used to use a shock strap and then took it off, just to try. Now I love it without one and I seem to get more power out of the racket too.

my friend stated the oposite to your statement (please read below)

this sums it up for me! i use the original nTour 95 and it is way too tinny for me without a dampener. it sounds and feels more solid with one on.

my friend said the exact same thing, he even said his shoots felt(keyword) more "powerful",

i did not notice the change in power, or the sound from his racquet
this is totaly a personal taste situation
i cannot stand the cheap clinkkk sound my racquets make without something on there, but my first server % has not improved with or without, my forhand is still awsome and my bakchand still zhitty

dave333
08-27-2007, 06:50 PM
My chili pepper matches my m-fil 300 perfectly.

I'm a fan of the red hot chili peppers too.