PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever priced a private home court?

musicalmedic81
08-03-2007, 03:53 PM
I realize its probably pretty rediculous to even entertain this idea, but im just curious. I have a perfect backyard, fenced in, large, flat and no trees in the way. Does anybody have any idea what it would cost to put in a standard size hard tennis court? Anybody have one at home? Any feedback is welcome.. thanks!

JMS
08-03-2007, 04:23 PM
try searching, i think there are some answers in other threads, but i am sure it is expensive

theace21
08-03-2007, 04:58 PM
As the saying goes, If you have to ask you can't afford it...Like JMS said, this topic has come up before and it is very expensive. You can cut corners and save some money (cheap lights - like many high school).

My guess would be in the 20-30,000 range - perhaps as high as 40,000...I would think down the road when you decide to sell, it would be much tougher to move a house with a tennis court. Not everyone has a court as a priority.

I am sure some of the neighbors would object to the noise, lights, etc.

asknowbuylater
08-03-2007, 05:31 PM
I'd buy a small building and build one inside. Exterior courts are just too demanding to maintain and costly.

Rafa freak
08-03-2007, 05:34 PM
I'd buy a small building and build one inside. Exterior courts are just too demanding to maintain and costly.

I dont know how much money you plan on spending but that would
have too be a prety tall roof.

musicalmedic81
08-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Anyone ever heard of this stuff? Sounds like some kind of rubber based court. Possibly cheaper than a real hard court and guarantees to never crack, and has a way for water to drain straight through it and can be dry enough to play on in a matter of minutes even after a long rain.

Check it here- www.flexcourt.com

UW_Husky88
08-03-2007, 07:16 PM
holy crap, I think that one of the high schools we played tennis against had that. That stuff is simply nasty to play on. It feels like clay because the ball just dies if I remember correctly. I wouldn't want one of those things at all.

theace21
08-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Anyone ever heard of this stuff? Sounds like some kind of rubber based court. Possibly cheaper than a real hard court and guarantees to never crack, and has a way for water to drain straight through it and can be dry enough to play on in a matter of minutes even after a long rain.

Check it here- www.flexcourt.com

Weird stuff. I looked at a similar product called sport court. Multipurpose court. Good for basketball, volleyball, more recreational stuff than serious tennis.

If you ever watch volleyball on TV, all top indoor matches are played on this type of court. Easy on the legs.

Never hit a tennis ball on it - interested to hear anyone that has played on it.

nyc
08-03-2007, 08:30 PM
i saw a few threads on this in the past.... I think it was $30k for a court, and another $15-20k for lights

and then you have all your friends over for tennis and can't get rid of them, not to mention you only have one surface....

scotus
08-04-2007, 12:11 AM
The flexcourt looks like all the holes on the surface will be quickly filled up with dirt and debris.

MaximRecoil
08-04-2007, 04:03 AM
Find out what it would cost to pave (and level, if not already level) 7,200 ft² with asphalt.

Add ~$500 for net posts and a net.

The paint for the lines shouldn't cost too much (this is something most anyone can do themselves).

Find out what a 360 foot run of chainlink fencing would cost (10' high is common) with at least one door (also a fairly easy DIY project after you've bought the fencing materials).

Lights are not a necessity by any means.

The special colored hard court coatings that go on top of asphalt are nice, but not necessary. I've played on plenty of courts that were just bare asphalt, like public roads -- they work fine.

40Love
08-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Find a prefab metal building/warehouse for rent. You can acid etch the concrete and have a plexapave type court surface installed using a portable net system for around $5K. You could self install it even cheaper. You can suspend backdrop curtains using the heavy duty blue or green tarps that are sold cheaply at most hardware stores. Court dividers or side fence (fishing nets) can be bought at hunting/fishing supply companies. Lot's of ways to have a relative inexpensive court. A single outside courts with little ground work will be $30K to $40K.

scotus
08-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Not as expensive as I thought.

Dover
08-06-2007, 05:27 AM
Has anyone ever tried making a natural grass court? How would that compare in terms of cost?

Tennisplayer92
08-06-2007, 06:08 AM
does someone want to make my dream come true and make an astroturf court? astroturf is the synthetic grass they use for like football fields. im gonna raise my kids on them courts! once i get kids and the money to that is 8)

ChocolatePie
08-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Putting in a tennis court by yourself with the help of others and spending 10k or so on the equipment doesn't sound that bad. When you think about it, it really isn't that hard to put a tennis court in your yard.

I wouldn't put lights because why waste that extra money just to play at night?

JesseT
08-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Putting in a tennis court by yourself with the help of others and spending 10k or so on the equipment doesn't sound that bad. When you think about it, it really isn't that hard to put a tennis court in your yard.

I wouldn't put lights because why waste that extra money just to play at night?

Knowing how much it costs for a nearby club, this might help.
Paving two courts totaled up to around $20k, including painting. This is from a professional court company and was for repaving, not new.

The costliest part of new is foundation. Just because you have the square footage, doesn't mean you have the right soil, drainage, etc. I've been told to fix the club drainage/foundation for 2 courts will cost in excess of $90k.

If foundation isn't good, your courts *will* crack. Which, if you can hit a kick serve on a crack, it's a guaranteed ace. Talk about homecourt advantage.

So, it seems the $40k+ range is a good median. As for doing it yourself, I wouldn't trust myself+friends to level a yard and lay a foundation. Only if one of my friends were in construction.